Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil?
Feb 3, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #31 of 226
  Same here!  Was thinking about offering someone 50K to build me a T2 Stax amp, to go with either my MSB Select or Trinity DAC (haven't decided yet, might get both). I'll probably get a couple more pairs of SR-009's for back up too. It's just a matter of cash right now...

The DIY T2 would be my endgame electrostat amp as well. Shouldn't cost more than $20K, though; possibly even around $10K. The problem is finding someone who knows what they're doing to build it for you. It's probably the most complex headphone amp of all time, and it can be dangerous (due to even higher voltage than most electrostat amps) if not designed properly. I know a guy who is building at least one, for the first time, but I think it's for himself. XD

If I can't manage to get the T2, a BHSE could work as well. (No wait period via used and international markets.) In the meantime, a speaker amp + WEE should perform at least admirably.

I was also curious about the MSB SELECT and Light Harmonic Sire. No idea how much better they would sound than affordable DACs, or whether I would hear a difference at all. Many people I talk to in the Sound Science section say that even the most affordable DACs can easily reproduce audio accurately and perfectly, but I don't believe anything blindly.

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #32 of 226
I envy the people who just throw thousands of $ around. Wish I had that kind of disposable cash 
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #33 of 226
  I envy the people who just throw thousands of $ around. Wish I had that kind of disposable cash 
biggrin.gif

I regret spending so much money on things I didn't need (like fancy restaurants), and by the time I got serious about audio equipment, my budget was pretty low. (Though I have spent like $5K on audio gear so far, depending on what you count, but not counting musical instruments and my music collection...which I also regret in a way, but then again, I could sell it at a loss!)

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #34 of 226

The DIY T2 would be my endgame electrostat amp as well. Shouldn't cost more than $20K, though; possibly even around $10K. The problem is finding someone who knows what they're doing to build it for you. It's probably the most complex headphone amp of all time, and it can be dangerous (due to even higher voltage than most electrostat amps) if not designed properly. I know a guy who is building at least one, for the first time, but I think it's for himself. XD

If I can't manage to get the T2, a BHSE could work as well. (No wait period via used and international markets.) In the meantime, a speaker amp + WEE should perform at least admirably.

I was also curious about the MSB SELECT and Light Harmonic Sire. No idea how much better they would sound than affordable DACs, or whether I would hear a difference at all. Many people I talk to in the Sound Science section say that even the most affordable DACs can easily reproduce audio accurately and perfectly, but I don't believe anything blindly.

If you can find anyone willing to part with their BHSE, consider yourself a lottery winner. As for 'international markets' they seem to disappear as quickly as Justin fills the dealer's order. Addicted to Audio were offering the BHSE but it would seem that they've given up. 

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/category/head-amps/headamp/

Props to Justin, but I dont know of too many in this hobby who have a guaranteed job for life building the same product. He must solder in his sleep  :D

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #35 of 226

If you can find anyone willing to part with their BHSE, consider yourself a lottery winner. As for 'international markets' they seem to disappear as quickly as Justin fills the dealer's order. Addicted to Audio were offering the BHSE but it would seem that they've given up. 

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/category/head-amps/headamp/

Props to Justin, but I dont know of too many in this hobby who have a guaranteed job for life building the same product. He must solder in his sleep  :D

Look again.
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #36 of 226
Given the 2-year wait times for the BHSE, I reckon that by the time a new batch is ready we'll have planar headphones that are as good, if not better than most 'stats in resolution.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #37 of 226
  Given the 2-year wait times for the BHSE, I reckon that by the time a new batch is ready we'll have planar headphones that are as good, if not better than most 'stats in resolution.

That would be amazing! I wonder if there will be 'stats with planaresque bass as well.
biggrin.gif

I'm actually looking at alternate TOTL electrostat amps at the moment. The ones that are "only" $4K instead of $6-10K. Man, this stuff is crazy...

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #38 of 226
..... including but not limited to green cloth/towel dampers for tubes that improve the sound.....

Hey that sounds too cheap!
I was looking at dampers I haven't seen those. ..
:p

I'm considering purchasing this DAC.  I bought the Rag and sold it within a couple weeks and in my opinion it didn't compete with the top tube amps in my stable, particularly on tone/timbre (although it is in a totally different price bracket.)  ...

Well that should be a given considering you are comparing SS to Tube.

That Rag should be in the very top of SS amps, but all the clarity and precision won't make up for the things easily inherent in tubes:

The ability to be:
1-rich
2-liquid
3-delicate in sound
4-musical

Are things not inherent in SS amps.

Tube amps are far away from the sterile, squeeky clean SS sound...

Solid State amps are devoid of the the same air of tubes,
that is primary derived from micro ambient information that tubes excell in,
Which SS in general cannot because their excessive/mandatory usage of feedback which prohibits most of the micro detailing .

I wouldnt schiit on The Rag at all as it probably comes close..
Among the top SS amps to approach a quality/likeness of tube level performance... due to their transparency...

Yet this will never happen with SS as they fundamentally cannot do what tubes do (points 1-3)..

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #39 of 226
^^ Don't agree with a lot of that SS /  tube stuff ^^  I sold my EC 445 because is was not musical, it was not rich, it was not delicate in sound, it had a squeeky clean / lean sound.  So to make a blanket statement like that is not always the case.  Maybe the ones you heard  - but not all.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #40 of 226
  ^^ Don't agree with a lot of that SS /  tube stuff ^^  I sold my EC 445 because is was not musical, it was not rich, it was not delicate in sound, it had a squeeky clean / lean sound.  So to make a blanket statement like that is not always the case.  Maybe the ones you heard  - but not all.

Even I know that 45 tubes go for a pretty neutral sound instead of lushness, so yeah, it depends on the type of tubes used, among other factors.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #44 of 226
Hey, I think my current SS combo possesses at least these attributes:

1-rich

4-musical

And not to sound like a moron, but 3 and 2/4/1 are a bit contradicting in SQ reproduction. At least I think it is hard to achieve both delicacy and musicality/richness/liquidity...
A hybrid can get pretty close though, or some diamond difference designs, IMO 
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #45 of 226

It was THAT bad !!
eek.gif

eek.gif

I do not have this feeling with my EC445 !    But.... I have to confess that some time I think that I should have got a BA instead..... 
tongue.gif

--> tell me, What Amp did you got to replace your EC445

Users who are viewing this thread

Back