Why are super expensive closed back headphones created?
Aug 15, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #61 of 72
I listen to closed back headphones when there is environmental noise or its late at night. I might be in the minority here, but If the room is quiet I'd rather listen to speakers than open back headphones.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #62 of 72
I'll answer this. The k371's bass region is something special. Great layering and separation between sub-bass, midbass, and mids. Just the right enough punch, crunch, and rumble, not over the top, but just right. Budget headphones like this have made me realize how pathetic some of these TOTL headphones are in the lower regions. Most open back headphone I've tried fail to get this basic frequency range right.

The downside of the k371 is that it feels cheap and flimsy. The plastics are good, but the fit is loose and sloppy. If AKG packages the tech and tonal characteristics in a higher end package I'll be all over it.
Thank you! I am sure I would probably enjoy them for what they are. Fit isn't a huge issue for me if the sound is nice.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #63 of 72
Because as music evolve, that includes the genres, so does headphones and anything in between. Now when we talk about super expensive types... it's more of the question of "why not?" Same with speakers, your watch, shoes, etc. when there is a market for it.
Great thought!! I am well familiar with the "why not" :)

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #64 of 72
I listen to closed back headphones when there is environmental noise or its late at night. I might be in the minority here, but If the room is quiet I'd rather listen to speakers than open back headphones.
I would probably be that way as well if I could afford such a setup. It just gets too intense with the room size, dampening, amps, etc.

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #65 of 72
Do you like the K371 at all? I am assuming all of these you listed here are super expensive lol
Well, yes, I could use the K371; it's a decent headphone.. no, actually, it's a great headphone in its price range.

However, the point of my (previous) post was to draw your attention to the fact that good closed-back headphones do exist. They offer some benefits open-back headphones do not provide; for example, a unique - but not necessarily better, that's subjective - bass texture, isolation, portability, et al.

If you have the opportunity, do give 1 (or more) of these headphones a try. They might just surprise you yet. :)

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #66 of 72
Well, yes, I could use the K371; it's a decent headphone.. no, actually, it's a great headphone in its price range.

However, the point of my (previous) post was to draw your attention to the fact that good closed-back headphones do exist. They offer some benefits open-back headphones do not provide; for example, a unique - but not necessarily better, that's subjective - bass texture, isolation, portability, et al.

If you have the opportunity, do give 1 (or more) of these headphones a try. They might just surprise you yet. :)
You opened my mind to them! I can see how bass is an elite feature.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #67 of 72
You opened my mind to them! I can see how bass is an elite feature.
Conversely with the over emphasis on bass these days, and the astonishingly idiotic wrong headed settings in the bass by outfits such as crinicle (current popularity and basic crap room sonics vs REALITY).

There is actually correct settings and output, careful you don't OD on the Charbucks Sumatra Dark Roast side of things.

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #68 of 72
Conversely with the over emphasis on bass these days, and the astonishingly idiotic wrong headed settings in the bass by outfits such as crinicle (current popularity and basic crap room sonics vs REALITY).

There is actually correct settings and output, careful you don't OD on the Charbucks Sumatra Dark Roast side of things.
There are closed backs that have pretty sublime well detailed and textured bass that doesnt get in the way of the rest of the music like D5000, eikon, AWKT. I'm sure there are quite abit more but these are the 3 that has stood out to me the most. The main issue I think is that you cant get a good closed back without it being somewhat bulky.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #69 of 72
There are closed backs that have pretty sublime well detailed and textured bass that doesnt get in the way of the rest of the music like D5000, eikon, AWKT. I'm sure there are quite abit more but these are the 3 that has stood out to me the most. The main issue I think is that you cant get a good closed back without it being somewhat bulky.
Bass is certainly an issue with most - not the Mr Speakers Ether Closed - that one seems decent if even a bit lacking in bass.

But closed backs basically either have more absorption (which cannot be designed to let through/absorb the same amount of sound at all listenable freqs and/or more early reflections than a fully (as fully as it can be) open back.

The major thing thing missing from cans IMO is: time. Diffraction, absorption, reflections happening and getting to ones ear in a good med/large room at a time from the direct sound that makes things sound close enough to a venue that it might actually pass as a fair approximation. I'm fairly impressed with a few dozen cans from the HD-600, LCD-4, Susvara, to Voce and 007 that seem to still be very realistic even with some key elements compromised.

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #70 of 72

We got the K371 for Christmas, and I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised. The bass punch and impact is prevalent and definitely different than I am used to. I was scared they'd sound claustrophobic, but this isn't so much the case, and the resolution is assuredly impressive. The short cord, materials, size, etc is all nice. Good buy!

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #71 of 72
This seems like a strange question. I'm a noob in this space and haven't experienced open backed headphones for any serious period of time, but headphones to me are a personal and intimate experience where I get to escape into my own world and nobody else knows what's going on. Also if I'm in an environment where noise bleed from an open back isn't going to be a problem why wouldn't I just use speakers?

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #72 of 72
From a sound perspective, I don't have as much experience with open backs but I know that I'm a very big fan of an emphasized, yet clear and textured bass that isn't overpowering but can be felt. It's hard to get that in an open back at all. It's why I decided to jump into my biggest headphone purchase with the Verite Closed first before spending the big $$ on an open back set. It's lived up to everything I was looking for + bonus points for not disturbing the wife :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back