Why do you people spend hundreds of dollars on headphones
Jun 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 134

WeDontCare

New Head-Fier
Reading around and and you have guys asking for recomendations on headphones that cost 200 bucks.

I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for a pair of headphones, if that.

I have 20 dollar sony headphones and they sound betetr than this overrpriced beats garbage or whatever

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 134
Using Beats as your reference is the problem. There are some really good sounding cans
in around that price range of Beats that are much better.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 134
Because music is important to us.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 134
Don't get me wrong, I may be really mistaken here and if that is the case I beg for forgiveness, but the op didn't really think why people spend more than average on what they like. it's all about the performance upgrade with higher (well, usually that's the case) priced stuff, be it TV's, cars, cameras, heck - even food tastes better if you are filling to spend more...
so yeah. :)

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 134
Reading around and and you have guys asking for recomendations on headphones that cost 200 bucks.

I have 20 dollar sony headphones and they sound betetr than this overrpriced beats garbage or whatever

I guess it's probably the same logic as why people would spend spend thousands on a more expensive full hd led TV or full HD projector than an old CRT TV :wink:

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 134
1) The good reason - because I listen to a lot of music and like it to sound good,

2) The bad reason - because once you start listening carefully to music there's always "something" that sounds like it could be improved and before you know it you're chasing an OCD driven perfection that you are never going to reach and stealing your kid's lunch money for that next upgrade!

Run away ....... now

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 134
Quote:

Listen to live music.  Then listen to your earbuds.  It doesn't sound even close.  We spend crazy amounts of money because some expensive gear sounds a little better, but even upward of $200 headphones still don't compare to the real thing.  Thus why many people spend a small fortune on audio.

Sounds like a troll post, but tbh it's actually a good question.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 134
Quote:

Listen to live music.  Then listen to your earbuds.  It doesn't sound even close.  We spend crazy amounts of money because some expensive gear sounds a little better, but even upward of $200 headphones still don't compare to the real thing.  Thus why many people spend a small fortune on audio.

Sounds like a troll post, but tbh it's actually a good question.

Sennheiser Orpheus/Stax Sr-009 + Aristeus/Blue Hawaii SE + Smyth Realiser A8 = Pretty damn close

Just forget about that new car
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 134
Quote:
I guess it's probably the same logic as why people would spend spend thousands on a more expensive full hd led TV or full HD projector than an old CRT TV
wink.gif

I wouldn't knock CRT tech wholesale if I were you, even if the TVs tend to suck.

My GDM-FW900 wipes the floor with all these new LCDs (doesn't matter if they're LED-backlit, the image is still formed from a LCD) and most plasmas, and it's a decade-old aperture grille CRT. There still isn't a better gaming monitor in existence, and that's just sad.

But to answer the thread topic, yeah, it's not just headphones. ANYTHING you can think of will have some premium variant for a high price, and there will be enthusiasts willing to shell out that extra cash for the very best in quality. Computers, peripherals for said computers (like all the components that go into a flight sim cockpit), vehicles, audio, video, photography, food, you name it, there will be niche top-of-the-line products with a price tag that will make your wallet scream in agony, and your ego that much more satisfied for owning it. (Or eating/drinking it, in some cases.)

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 134
I wouldn't knock CRT tech wholesale if I were you, even if the TVs tend to suck.

My GDM-FW900 wipes the floor with all these new LCDs (doesn't matter if they're LED-backlit, the image is still formed from a LCD) and most plasmas, and it's a decade-old aperture grille CRT. There still isn't a better gaming monitor in existence, and that's just sad.

Lol... I wasn't that's why I said CRT "TV"... Lol

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 134
Try the JVC HA-S500 for $50.

/thread

Actually, I still ask why people would pay $700 for phone...
Or +$400 for a GPU to play a game...
Or expensive cars, that just get you from A to B...
Or more expensive organic food
Or 
Or
Or
Or
Or
Or
Or

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 134
I think this is all about 'dollar spent vs. enjoyment'. Each one makes his own balance.

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 134
Done with the audio equipment, try photography <--- ouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back