Why is the Susvara : So good ?
Dec 22, 2023 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Reader,

If you've never actually heard the Susvara in person,.. and yet, you've been in the Headphone Obsession Game for at least 3 weeks, you've already heard the : Legend of the Hifiman Susvara.

No other set of headphones is as hyped or as over-hyped as the Susvara.

So, why is that?
What is the magic of the Iconic Susvara.?
What defines its "Staying Power".

Well, if you've not heard this gear, and you buy it, and you strap it on, ... the first thing you'll likely think upon first listen is...

"this is what it sounds like". ????
"this'. ?????
"it sounds like this".????????

See, the thing about us Audiophiles, is we sometimes become unduly enamored with the idea of "more" of something, vs "sounds perfect".
What i mean is... "They" all sell us headphones by promising that their new one has "more"... "more details" "more soundstage".. "more, is more, is best".
""You've tried the last 6, but #7 is MORE""...."So, Get it now"... "just started shipping".... "Its our most more of all, so far"".
So, you take the bait... and now you own #7.
And that is why the Classified Section exists here, and aren't you glad.....

And so with the Susvara, you strap on the Susvara, having spent all that money, (even pre-owned they are still very expensive)... and the first "reality bites" you get is..... its not "more".. Its really not..... It does not instantly seduce/thrill you with more bass, or more detail, or more treble extension, or more soundstage.... and its not feather light.
See The Susvara....is not built around a "one trick pony" type of sonic "more" experience.
That's not the Gear's essence or reason to exist.
In fact, at first contact, you'll be listening for all the "more's", and you'll soon realize that nothing is really "more", with the Susvara.
I can list a closed back headphone that has more soundstage, for example.
Sure, the HD820. and this SENNgear has a similar amount of detail retrieval.

But then...

You keep listening, and wondering... and then you began to hear why people who know all about good high-end sound, rave about the Susvara.
Its because what it does, is give you the music as it sounds., regarding a set of headphones.
The word is : "natural"
The idea is.. "sounds like music, sounds".
The reality is... = The Susvara is able to deliver music into your ears, as a headphones device, with a extremely natural presentation. = Clarity.
And we keep in mind that no headphones can sound like reality......as its 2 cups, reader... strapped to your ears, and real sound is all around you, and a Headphone is not going to deliver that experience.
But the Susvara, out of all other headphones, gives you a $6000.00 USD Hifiman Style'd taste of it, inside its medium sized cups.

All this simply means...... that Vocals sound real. Classical guitars sound real. Snare drums sound real. Piano, Acoustic Guitar, a Stratocaster, or a Choir, sound REAL.
The Susvara offers a sound that is more accurate to reality than other headphones (most who love them would tell you), and that is what you are paying for... when you lay a lot of money down and press "Pay".= "Ordered".

Is there still a touch of the Hifiman House Sound, dialed in also?
Yes, but, it does not distract, it does not over-cook or undermine the Natural/Clarified sound, which is the core sonics produced by the "epic" Susvara.

Now, this "Natural" presentation, this "real-ness"...this "clarity". is what most reviewers deem as resolution and detail, but, its more than that, as the Susvara is like a straight wire.
It has this ability.. = its designed to deliver as much reality as musical sound as possible, and does this slightly better overall than any other set of TOTL headphones.

It doesn't produce any one Frequency or particular sonics, the very best of all.... it just produces them all so naturally, so cohesively...so clearly.. as its core tonality, and that is why its worth so much money, as no other set of headphones, can do this, quite as well.

The Susvara, does not DO any one thing, sonically speaking, the BEST,... but what it does is deliver all of the music to you, the full palate of musical experience, so naturally regarding its sound....the best.
No other set of headphones does it as well, and this gear is 8 yrs old., isn't it?

I predict that 5 yrs from now, when you read a "New Headphone" review... 95% of the reviewers who have heard a Susvara, will compare the "new" gear, at some point in the review to the Susvara.
They do it today.... all the time... and should.

Reader,

Some headphones force you to listen to their "more".
The BEST Headphones let you listen to the MUSIC, instead.
They give you a music experience vs mostly a headphone experience.
Something like the Meze Empyrean, does this very well, while the Susvara, perhaps does this best of all.
8 Yrs later......
-
-

A Susy.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 14
The Susvara is the answer for you, if you are the person who has owned a lot of headphones, including expensive headphones, and you are not really satisfied.
You stuck in that... "is there something better".... and that mindset makes it very difficult to be content with your gear.
So, if you purchase a Susvara, (and get one used as the pre-owned price is more reasonable these days).. then you can know that there is nothing that is going to sound better, , only different.
So, if you are tired of the chase, then the Susvara can be that cure for you.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 14
The Susvara is the answer for you, if you are the person who has owned a lot of headphones, including expensive headphones, and you are not really satisfied.
You stuck in that... "is there something better".... and that mindset makes it very difficult to be content with your gear.
So, if you purchase a Susvara, (and get one used as the pre-owned price is more reasonable these days).. then you can know that there is nothing that is going to sound better, , only different.
So, if you are tired of the chase, then the Susvara can be that cure for you.
But then one may get stuck in the loop of getting better amp to enhance “the Susvara experience “. This desire to get something better never ends
I do agree it is one of the best headphone out there.

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 14
And one more..

Lots of talk about "need more power"..

Well, it needs some juice., but how much is enough?

In the couple of years ive owned the gear, im currently using an amp, XLR Headphone Balanced out, with these specs.
And it sounds very good.

Below the Spec sheet, i'll post a video, that is very Bass Dominate, and when using the Susvara and these specs, the bass is very large.

And it should be the same in your Headphones also...

SpecificationConditionRCA Input - 6.35 mm Output
Maximum Output Power (Per Channel)Into 600 Ohm600 mW
Into 32 Ohm3500 mW
Rated Output Power (Per Channel)Into 600 Ohm200 mW
Into 32 Ohm500 mW
-

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 14
But then one may get stuck in the loop of getting better amp to enhance “the Susvara experience “. This desire to get something better never ends
I do agree it is one of the best headphone out there.

Yes.
But that can be with any set of Headphones., tho its most often what seems to be discussed regarding the Susvara.

I just posted the specs of the amp im using and it drives them at low volume, = to excellent fullness.

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 14
the susvara makes me think why the he 1 is so damn expensive.
i belive both are really great headphones even if i did not try both of them.
but i think if i ever woudl get a hand on the susvara i will keep them and never think that the he 1 is a thing

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 14
Hmmm I really wish to share in that dream of yours but Susvara just doesnt do it for me. The way the center image is so big yet as it goes futher away everything becomes exponentially smaller. TBH Quad Era-1 is more enjoyable and natural than Sus for me.

That being said glad to see people enjoying the music instead of the gear.

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Hmmm I really wish to share in that dream of yours but Susvara just doesnt do it for me. The way the center image is so big yet as it goes futher away everything becomes exponentially smaller. TBH Quad Era-1 is more enjoyable and natural than Sus for me.

That being said glad to see people enjoying the music instead of the gear.

I reviewed the Quad ERA-1 on the Forum, when it first came out a few years ago.
I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back