Why We Switched Forum Platforms
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #61 of 104
Kudos to you and your team Jude for managing a Herculean task. The site gets better every day I use it, and most of the functionality that I used in the past seems to be coming back. And no disrespect, but I only have one criticism to the move that I'll share below.

The biggest issue here is that the messaging was very poor prior to the migration. A simple announcement would have helped a lot:

"We are moving to a new platform because our current platform is getting phased out. There will be some growing pains, but please bear with us. We will make it right."

And no matter how busy everyone was, that message could have easily been sent out prior to the update. I hope you never have to do this type of migration again, but if you do--this is an area in which your team can improve.

May 6, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #62 of 104
@jude I appreciate you taking the time to link me to your reasoning behind the lack of warning and transparency before the changes. I do still think it was the wrong choice on your part and even something small and effortless could've gone a long way with us. I know you don't regret that decision and have said (repeatedly) that you would still have done the same thing regardless of all the negativity surrounding that decision - which is fine and your choice. At the end of the day things could be worse and the only reason I'm vocal about these things is because of how much of a great tool headfi has served for me over the years and I actually care, in general, about the site.

.. and not to keep harping on this one specific thing but I do want to add that I do agree with @adydula and @drbobbybones

Anyway - is there a megathread somewhere for bugs with some good structure that we can start posting to? I have been posting my findings in kind of an unofficial thread. I do appreciate your focus on the bugs and glitches going on, I think that is the smartest thing to do too. I wouldn't care about traffic either right now, just getting the site more functional and doing a little post-change pr haha

Keep up the long hours. Like I said.. I at least see good potential with the new layout.

May 6, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #63 of 104
I personally like it. Especially as HF is starting to "bifurcate" into a chat forum and a review site. With Jude now doing technical measurements, and more and more "serious/pro" reviews popping up, it seems a logical split to make it easy to navigate both sides.

May 6, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #64 of 104
Why have all the e-mail notifications stopped? Stopped completely! I have even tried to re-subscribe to one thread, but, other than an acknowledgement of the subscription... nothing. Aaargh!

May 6, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #65 of 104
Why did you pick XenForo for a platform? It has to be one of the worst forum platforms I have had to deal with lately. Audiio Karma went to it last year and I find myself going there less and less. In fact I am only active in one thread now.

May 7, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #66 of 104
As web developer myself, I'm fully aware of how painful it can be to move from one platform to another, especially for these 16 years of contents. Good luck Jude and team, I'm sure things will improve over time. Being able to move all the contents without losing any (the most important thing), is already an accomplishment itself. :)

Personally, I'm quite surprised with the changes, as I was expecting something better by how the announcement sounds to be, but ended up getting half-function of old Head-Fi. So it really is just the messaging around this I think.

I hope you guys will try to nail the user experience and design next, as I think this is currently very weak with a lot of inconsistencies.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #67 of 104
Gotta say, this change is really helping my wallet. This is my first time posting on Head Fi on weeks :) Really hope the site get's fixed though cause this new platform sucks.

May 7, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #68 of 104
I want to counteract some of the negative things said by myself and others with the following:

While I take issue with the fact that we weren't warned about impending impairment of website functionality, I do like the updated look of the website. And I am sure that, given enough time, the admins will squash the bugs inherent in the change.

May 7, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #70 of 104
Will the subscriptions feature be back?
It was never removed. To subscribe to a thread, look to the upper right corner of a thread, below the title of the thread at the top of the page. You can also go into your settings and configure them so that you automatically subscribe to every thread you post in if you so desire. To get to your settings, click on your avatar when you are viewing your profile. From there, click on Preferences (not Alert Preferences), and it will be the first item listed under Options.

May 7, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #71 of 104
Not alerting the forum users of the big change was probably the only major problem here. I have found that users here are generally quite kind, and accommodating, so I think it is irresponsible to pretend that you were trying to avoid a "discussion" about a change that was mandatory. Obviously it wouldn't matter whether there was discussion about the changes, if it would still happen. To be frank, you guys messed up, and you should concede that.

Myself, I don't really care. I spend much more time a-lurkin' than I do posting (I didn't sign up for a year or so after I found head-fi). I only really care about two features, one is subscriptions and messages available from the basic home page, and two is the gallery view of photos posted in a thread. Without that feature, certain bloated 2000 post threads become unrealistic to dig through.
I don't foresee there being any staying negatives to the way you've handled yourselves, but I'd stake money on the idea that if there were other headphone forums with a similar population, you would have lost un-invested users.

May 7, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #72 of 104
Look at the top-right of the page (screenshot below).

[/QUOTE]

Subscriptions don't show up like this for iOS.

May 7, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #74 of 104
I personally don't mind that there was no heads-up given about the change. A heads-up would've been a nice courtesy, but ultimately it doesn't help users one bit to know what's coming or how to "prepare" for the change.

I personally, do not like the new look and feel of the new platform. In general, it looks plain and dated. I use it mostly from a laptop, so the following feedback is based on that. The fonts are too small IMO - everything looks tiny. The gray shading for posts is too light. The light blue shading for quotes is too light. It needs more contrast, and a darker, overall look. I hope changes are considered as font sizes and shading/colors should be relatively easy to implement.

Looking over some of the new settings and options, I don't know what they mean. Maybe a help note next to each setting, or a tutorial would be helpful.

I know the team probably has higher priorities at the moment, but I hope these things are (re)considered.

May 7, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #75 of 104
Looking over some of the new settings and options, I don't know what they mean. Maybe a help note next to each setting, or a tutorial would be helpful.

I second this request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back