Will a denon av receiver be enough to drive these headphones?
Sep 17, 2011 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jeyjeyfi

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm a beginner audiophile looking forward to my first serious pairs of headphones. I'm thinking of buying a pair of sennheiser hd 598 headphones. I'll mainly be using them through a Denon AV receiver ( link of the model down bellow). Will it be enough to drive the sennheisers hd 598 or shoul I buy an amplifier? Thank you in advance :)!

Link to AV receiver model:
http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=HomeTheatre&SubId=AVReceivers&ProductId=AVR1507

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 9
The 598's are quite easy to drive, so your Denon should be just fine.

Are you decided on the 598's or are you open to other suggestions? as I think there are better sounding headphones around than those.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Nice unit as it may be but it was designed to drive speakers. Headphone out on such units is usually more for looks/a gadget than proper SQ. Even the simple design headphone amp that I have in Beresford DAC sounded better than jacks in speaker amp or CDPs.. If your budget allows it better get a dedicated headphone amp, even a simple one, otherwise I doubt you will hear what those headphones are capable of.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 9
I agree with the above post 100%, but the 598's are nothing like the HD600 or HD650, even when put on a very good amp they still sound a little on the flat side compared to the HD600 or 650, some like them some don't.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm 16 and my parents aren't willing to give that much money for headphones plus a serious amplifier. Could you suggest an amplifier within the 100-150 $ budget thank you!

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 9
I am really opposed to people making recommendations on gear they haven't tried, and I have not used that receiver, but here goes: It seems like it would be an awesome no-nonsense setup. Neither Denon nor Sennheiser are rookies in this game.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Always try before you buy. That Denon should be able to power the 598 and it should sound pretty good. Like one of the posts above says you will miss some of the SQ but it should be enough to make you very happy. Ive used my Dt880 600ohm with my Onkyo receiver (which I believe is worse than your Denon) and although they did not sound as good as with my HP amp they were still enjoyable.

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I'm 16 and my parents aren't willing to give that much money for headphones plus a serious amplifier. Could you suggest an amplifier within the 100-150 $ budget thank you!

I think a Fiio would be ideal for you, not too expensive & will be decent enough for its price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back