Will DT 990 Pro 250 ohm run ok on a 150 ohm amplifier?
Nov 25, 2012 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Cjunky2

New Head-Fier
My soundcard has a built in amp that goes up to 150 ohms. I'm curious because people say beyerdynamic headphones aren't as power hungry as some other headphones.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
My soundcard has a built in amp that goes up to 150 ohms. I'm curious because people say beyerdynamic headphones aren't as power hungry as some other headphones.

I guess it is a Xonar DG ? In any case, using a more than 150 Ω headphone will not damage anything, it just reduces the maximum loudness you can get without clipping (distorted sound). You should probably just try it and decide yourself whether the card has enough power to drive the headphones at whatever level you prefer, because it is not the same for everyone. If you find it sounds great, and even at a level that is too loud for you the sound is still clean, it is probably OK.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 3
The Xonar DGX power the DT990s, but your close the Xonar DGX's max volume.
Adding an external headphone amplifier might give the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm a little more "life" in the audio quality.
For $50-$65 you can get a simple single tube headphone amplifier, on Amazon or eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back