Will the FOSTEX HP-A4 power my headphones?
Jan 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Tsukuyomi

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, i am very new to this thread. i have made an account long time ago, but never posted. just browsed.

my question is as follows;
I own some headphones, and I have no dedicated desktop Dac/Amp combo for my PC.
At the moment I use my DAP to listen to my music but would rather have a more powerful desktop solution.

the DAC/AMP in question is the Fostex HP-A4. I chose this because of its price point and for what it can deliver.
Now, my collection of music is mostly 16bit/44.1 FLAC. however, i do have a few albums from various artists at 24bit. (I dont have anything higher like DSD or DXD or what have you.)

The Headphones I have in my collection for various music use are not many, but they are as follows.
1. Bower and Wilkins P7 (wired).
2. Bang and Olufsen H6 (2nd Gen).
3. AKG k712 Pro.
4. Beyer Dynamic DT 1990 Pro.

So, would the Fostex DAC/AMP be able to power these headphones without me having to max the volume knob or would it be better for me to find something more powerful? any recommendations for something more powerful would be very helpful. Also, please don't recommend something that costs thousands and thousands of $, as my budget is fairly limited.

Thank you for your time :)

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 16
Just by specs it only outputs 100mw at 32 ohms so it is not a powerhouse . Will it run them I’m sure it will . I myself like more power. Funny that the Fostex T50rp can take 3000 mw and they make a amp that only produces 100mw the 712 can only take 200mw I like to have more headroom myself.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 16
Just by specs it only outputs 100mw at 32 ohms so it is not a powerhouse . Will it run them I’m sure it will . I myself like more power. Funny that the Fostex T50rp can take 3000 mw and they make a amp that only produces 100mw the 712 can only take 200mw I like to have more headroom myself.
So if there's more power, you'll get more "headroom". does that mean you wont get roll off? when the music hits high treble ?

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 16
no, that means you will have power on top just in case you need it
oh ok, so the Fostex would be able to power the DT1990 pro's, but like just. meaning i wouldnt have to max the volume knob in order to hear the DT1990 pro's normally. but if i put something lets say with 300 or 600 ohms, it wouldnt be able to power them with enough power? :S

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 16
oh ok, so the Fostex would be able to power the DT1990 pro's, but like just. meaning i wouldnt have to max the volume knob in order to hear the DT1990 pro's normally. but if i put something lets say with 300 or 600 ohms, it wouldnt be able to power them with enough power? :S
DT1990 has 102 dB sensitivity, that is a good number for full size cans, that Fostex will drive them, the impedance is not the only thing you will have to look at, sensitivity is important as well to have a general idea how hard will be to drive them

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 16
DT1990 has 102 dB sensitivity, that is a good number for full size cans, that Fostex will drive them, the impedance is not the only thing you will have to look at, sensitivity is important as well to have a general idea how hard will be to drive them
Excellent, the answer i was looking for. so whats the ideal sensitivity and ohm for mw for an amp/dac in your opinion.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 16
Excellent, the answer i was looking for. so whats the ideal sensitivity and ohm for mw for an amp/dac in your opinion.
depend on the amp\dac that you are gonna use and the headphones that you are gonna use, in your case with that Fostex dac amp the power will be more than enough for Bower and Wilkins P7 and Bang and Olufsen H6 (2nd Gen), but it will be just enough for AKG k712 Pro and Beyer Dynamic DT 1990 Pro.
If i was in your position, i will buy some powerful amp, you never know, in the future if you decide to get some new headphones that are hard to drive you will be ready.
Magni 3 is 100 dollars, it has 3 w per channel at 16 ohms, for the rest of the money you can buy usb dac and you will be set.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 16
depend on the amp\dac that you are gonna use and the headphones that you are gonna use, in your case with that Fostex dac amp the power will be more than enough for Bower and Wilkins P7 and Bang and Olufsen H6 (2nd Gen), but it will be just enough for AKG k712 Pro and Beyer Dynamic DT 1990 Pro.
If i was in your position, i will buy some powerful amp, you never know, in the future if you decide to get some new headphones that are hard to drive you will be ready.
Magni 3 is 100 dollars, it has 3 w per channel at 16 ohms, for the rest of the money you can buy usb dac and you will be set.
How many Watt's per channel should be ideal if i want something end game and never have to worry about changing my amp/dac setup. ?

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 16
well there is a couple of flagships that require a lot of power, HiFiman Susvara, Abyss 1266 Phi, and the former flagship HifiMan HE6, i think 6w per channel at 50 ohm will be enough for everything

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 16
well there is a couple of flagships that require a lot of power, HiFiman Susvara, Abyss 1266 Phi, and the former flagship HifiMan HE6, i think 6w per channel at 50 ohm will be enough for everything
The thing is i don't think i'll ever get enough money to start buying 5k - 10k headphones. the most expensive pair of headphones i own are the DT 1990 Pro's and im possibly thinking of making a Fostex TH900mk2 investment at some point. I would love to own a pair of STAX SR-L700 but i've never tried them, and i think from reviews or what people have mentioned. it would break on me because of the flimsy plastic frame. or the earcup wall would touch my ears (they're not big, i'd say average ear size). also, i never buy without hearing in store first. regardless of how much praise reviewers or people say.

But, when it comes to DAC/AMP's i dont mind buying without listening to them, because its more difficult to find stores where i live that have a large or modest selection of dac/amps.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 16
The base model of the Burson Play should be within your budget, if you can afford a little more the V5i version would be well worth the little extra money.
I think i've seen a burson at a show at some point. wasnt too impressed with it :frowning2:

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 16
I think i've seen a burson at a show at some point. wasnt too impressed with it :frowning2:

The Play is crazy good for the money... you cannot base all impressions off of one unit. Had a guy try the DT880, HD650 and Amiron Home out of the HPA-4BL, Play and iFi Nano iDSD BL and he thought the Play was by far the best unit out of them all (it had the V6 Vivid op-amps installed).

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #15 of 16
The Play is crazy good for the money... you cannot base all impressions off of one unit. Had a guy try the DT880, HD650 and Amiron Home out of the HPA-4BL, Play and iFi Nano iDSD BL and he thought the Play was by far the best unit out of them all (it had the V6 Vivid op-amps installed).
I was actually kinda curious about the iFi Micro iDSD black label, is it any good? i know the black label has better internals than the regular ifi one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back