Windows Phone 7 Series Announced!
Feb 15, 2010 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LeonWho

1000+ Head-Fier
Windows Phone 7 Series hands-on and impressions (updated with video) -- Engadget

Now this is impressive. Nice to see some more competition in the market.
wink.gif

Definitely destroys Apple's announcement of the iPad, in my opinion.

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 6
Decent phones won't be until fall/winter at the earliest, so it's really no big whoop. The lack of true native multi-tasking isn't cool (MWC: Can Windows Phone 7 Series Multitask?) and it'll probably be awhile before the kinks are worked out after release.

Also, until hardware makers like HTC start putting in some comparable sound chips, I won't be looking to WinMo for my music needs.

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely destroys Apple's announcement of the iPad, in my opinion.

Let's see how it stacks up against the fourth generation iPhone that will be here in July. Rumor is Apple is done with the current platform and something entirely new is on the way.

I suppose we can expect a new Microsoft tablet around 2014.

If Microsoft wants to get anywhere, they'll have to stop being a "me too" company several years after the fact. Phone, MP3 player, search engine, game console, etc. They never realize an opportunity until someone else stakes out a new field and becomes dominant.

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 6
Yay or nay? I don't know but I'm just using WinMo 6.5 by itself. The UI was speedy but not as funky as say, Mobile Shell 3. We'll wait and see but in my opinion as a WinMo user, this platform needs to be more user friendly and speedy off the bat. After a bit of tweaking you can make it do anything you want but not everyone is into that kind of stuff.

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

If Microsoft wants to get anywhere, they'll have to stop being a "me too" company several years after the fact. Phone, MP3 player, search engine, game console, etc. They never realize an opportunity until someone else stakes out a new field and becomes dominant.

They did well with the 2nd Gen Xbox (360.. discounting the horrid build quality), but they really dropped the ball with the Zune. I've got an HD: there's no enterprise wi-fi support, the few apps that exist are a joke, the browser is much worse than Safari/Opera, and the sound quality is only "decent". As long MS as has Windows to make money off of, they'll never give a damn.

Quote:

Let's see how it stacks up against the fourth generation iPhone that will be here in July. Rumor is Apple is done with the current platform and something entirely new is on the way.

I don't think WinMo will ever rival the popularity of the iphone, but as long as it gets flash and full multi-tasking down the road (or via tweaks), the geeks will be happy.

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can't be that different. The joys of common hardware means that the 4G iPhone will likely be moving to a slower version of A4 processor in the iPad and will be roughly equivalent in horsepower to all the other Arm Cortex A9 based devices out there. I don't see anything other than the usual hardware/software revamp (bigger screen, more resolution, slicker interface, front facing camera) out there for the iPhone, especially now with the iPad out.

Quote:

I suppose we can expect a new Microsoft tablet around 2014.

Bit unfair since Microsoft has had tablets with both mobile and desktop OSes out long before Apple conceived the iPad, and will have a whole new generation of tablets out based on a mobile variant of Windows 7 around the time the iPad releases. Just because the mainstream media doesn't cover it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Will they be successes? Probably not. Unlike Apple's users, the PC crowd tends to have an unhealthy attachment to legacy capability.

Quote:

WinMo was carving out marketspace long before the iPhone was released. The lack of success was more due to hardware limitations than effort. MS Search was online around the same time Google was incorporated and went in the same failed content aggregation direction that Yahoo did. The Xbox's release was par for course in the console world, and Microsoft has been particularly successful in driving the shift towards online interaction that the console world has been undergoing for the past decade. Zune? Yeah, I'll give you that. Complete cash in.

Really, MS's issue isn't that they don't try. It's just that they have a tendency of failing when they do and poisoning the well for later attempts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back