Wireless Keyboard and Mouse advice!
Feb 18, 2008 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

morphine

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm moving to a small studio in NY so I'll be using a TV as both my monitor and TV. I'm looking for a very high quality, responsive wireless solution for mouse and kb use from both the desk and the couch.

I'm currently using an ultra responsive laptop style keyboard I picked up in Hong Kong and a Razer Diamondback. Is there anything out there that can give me the same kind of performance in a wireless package? Price is not a problem if the product is good enough. I spend almost all day in front of the computer so an investment here goes a long way.

I've done about an hour of shopping so far and have been unimpressed with what I've turned up. Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Richard

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 17
Check out the Logitech diNovo keyboard/mouse sets. I have one, and even with gaming, it works perfectly. Laptop-style keys, so it wouldn't be a big departure from your current keyboard. There should be a version that includes a decent wireless mouse, the one I got had the crappy laptop-style mouse in it.

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 17
I'm using one of the new model Apple Wireless keyboards with my PC ATM.

Nice and small, looks good, great wireless range (bluetooth) and there are loads of apps around to reconfigure the apple keys to PC keys too...

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 17
Internet security is something I don't know much about. Is keylogging something I should be overly worried about? Like is it rampant?

I did take a look at the diNovo but the lack of a numpad was a turn off of sorts. I didn't see that there were multiple versions?

And I've been considering the MX revolution. How responsive is it compared to a wired gaming mouse?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Internet security is something I don't know much about. Is keylogging something I should be overly worried about? Like is it rampant?

I did take a look at the diNovo but the lack of a numpad was a turn off of sorts. I didn't see that there were multiple versions?

And I've been considering the MX revolution. How responsive is it compared to a wired gaming mouse?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The security issue is primarily having people sniffing out your wireless keyboard signal and keylogging you what you're typing. Personally, haven't had an issue regarding that, but hey, you never know. If someone was determined to get your info, I doubt using even regular peripherals will do much to stop them. Logitech does include an encryption algorithm for their wireless keyboards to make them more secure. Most version of the diNovos have the keypad, it's just separate. The only diNovo without the keypad is the diNovo Edge, if I recall correctly.
You're in luck, I also own a MX Revolution. It's quite responsive for gaming. Been playing tons of CoD4, and haven't been experiencing lag or dropouts from the mouse. Only thing that it lacks for gaming is an on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment for those sniping moments you might have.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 17
I also own the MX Revolution. Fantastic mouse, VERY comfortable, but as mentioned by azncookiecutter, it lacks an on-the-fly resolution change feature. If you're a hardcore FPS-er, then you may still want to stick with wired, and get a really long extension cable.

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 17
For wireless it really just comes down to the big two MS and Logitech, with logitech generally better when it comes to usability and design.

I'd say the MX/VX Revolution series if resolution switching isn't a concern (VX is better if you're willing to sacrifice software click wheel switch and a second scroll wheel that doesn't really work that well IMHO), and G7 wireless if it is (though you loose out on the forward side button).

Microsoft have a variaty of mouse, but their performance leave much to be desired, their appearance mostly really dorky, however some people really dig the MS style ergonomics so if you value comfort > performance you might want to try it out in your hands.

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by xzjia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For wireless it really just comes down to the big two MS and Logitech, with logitech generally better when it comes to usability and design.

I'd say the MX/VX Revolution series if resolution switching isn't a concern (VX is better if you're willing to sacrifice software click wheel switch and a second scroll wheel that doesn't really work that well IMHO), and G7 wireless if it is (though you loose out on the forward side button).

Microsoft have a variaty of mouse, but their performance leave much to be desired, their appearance mostly really dorky, however some people really dig the MS style ergonomics so if you value comfort > performance you might want to try it out in your hands.

The VX was way too small for my hands to be comfortable for long periods of time. Best idea though, is to head to a brick and mortar and fondle with all the mice available there. Good idea to check out the keyboards too while you're at it.

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 17
I wouldnt worry about keylogging unless you're using bluetooth. my wireless keyboard has such a crappy range on it they'd need to be sitting next to me to pick up the signal.

May 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Animal Mother /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice is that wireless sucks, and you'll never get the same performance as wired. But if you NEED wireless, something from logitech would be the best.

Great advice. My wireless logitech keyboard and mouse is sitting in a drawer as we speak.

May 20, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 17
i haven't ever been *really* satisfied with any wireless kb/mouse products. logitech's offerings have really outperformed microsoft's in my experience though (tons of connection issues with microsoft along with poor battery life).

May 21, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 17
Recently picked up a Logitech MX400 and there is definitely a performance difference in comparison to what I used before, which is a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0. Most of the time with that mouse, the cursor, though accurate, isn't as responsive as a wired mouse, and the weight of the mouse with the batteries can get fatiguing. I like the contour of the MX400, especially since it's made for right-handers. Although I won't be using it as much for gaming, I know it'll help out when I'm doing long hours of photo editing. I also use a Logitech wireless keyboard at work (don't know which model), but usually there would be drops in responsiveness as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back