Woo Audio 3 vs Darkvoice 337SE vs Little Dot MKIV SE vs Other
Jan 30, 2009 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

zer010gic

100+ Head-Fier
The title says it all. I am trying to decide on a tube line stage/ headphone amp. I am using Sennheiser HD650s and the output from the pre out will be going to a NAD c272 amp. I am after a neutral presentation, forward, good bass but not accentuated, and amazing 3D sound stage. Any advise is apriciated I just want to see what the community thinks.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 19
Bad poll. those amps are not even in the same league (price and performance wise

woo 3 - OTL using 6AS7 and 6922
LD IV - OTL, but totally different tube family - EF95 and 6H30P
DV337 - OTL also but 6AS7 and 6SJ7.

the OTL design benefits hign impedance cans. Are you using the NAD to plug the HD650 into? Then it will be a waste. BUT if you are plugging the Senn into the one of the above and using its pre out to feed your NAD to power speakers, then I would go with the LD. The DV's pre out is so-so. The woo does not use the power tube for the pre-out. whereas the LD uses both driver and power tubes for the pre-out. So less waste and any tube rolling is put to good use.

Probably better to edit OP to reflect intended setup

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad poll. those amps are not even in the same league (price and performance wise

the OTL design benefits hign impedance cans. Are you using the NAD to plug the HD650 into? Then it will be a waste. BUT if you are plugging the Senn into the one of the above and using its pre out to feed your NAD to power speakers, then I would go with the LD. The DV's pre out is so-so. The woo does not use the power tube for the pre-out. whereas the LD uses both driver and power tubes for the pre-out. So less waste and any tube rolling is put to good use.

The preouts are just go feed the poweramp for speakers but the headphones will plugged directly to the headphone amp.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

My vote goes for the LD

Why is that when in many other threads you have stated that the Woo 3 had a much larger and 3D sound stage?

Corey

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

as you mentioned, the pre out function is important to you. I've had the Woo 3. as an HP amp, it is better then the LD. but the pre-out is average and also the power tubes are not used in the cicuitry.

So the LD is a better preamp.

Corey

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone heard DV 337SE at all?

I have a DV 337SE, it's Real and it's Spectacular!!

Very Strong Dynamic amp(2 watts). Has enough power seems Like you can weld with it. HD650's really sing with it.

Uses EF80's as Input Tubes and 6AS7 series as Output tubes. I live under a bridge and it keeps me warm at night!!

Definitely a long term keeper. Has more Capacitance, and much better resisters than the stock 337, and rewired for EF80. Basically a Factory Mod'd 337.

Unfortunately I can only compare it to Zero, Yulong DAH1 Mark, and LD MK V. Blows them all away. Effortlessly runs all the canz I have.

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 19
One of the many reasons I chose an MK IV SE is because the preamp output quality is reportedly better than the others. Eventually I'm going to get some power amps to hook up to my speakers, I just can't afford it at the moment.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Slight correction here the 337SE uses the EF80/6BX6 input tube and not the 6SJ7 as you have above. The 337SE is not the same as the 337. Considerable difference. ALL the resisters are different. The quality of the Point to Point wiring is better. The Caps are upgraded and Larger. Also the Input tube is different. Then finally there are the cosmetic differences. The 337SE is truly a Special Edition, or Mod'd addition. Lots of folks pay for Ultra EDitions or Factory Mods, and that's what it is. I got a lot of PM's about the differences being only the Gold Faceplates. Not true. Also the Gold Facelates grow on you quick, they look VERY nicely done. After you throw the Cheap AZZ Plastic gold knobs out and replace them with Solid pieces that match the anodizing of the faceplate.

Here are a few pix:

Stock 337
>>
>>
20070711_8da3b9c2ff9f62d0036drWsWHbr5cuzx.jpg

>>
>>
337SE
>>
>>
337_resize.jpg

>>
>>

Very STRONG Amp. Just warm and Lush enough to be Tubes with the detail and resolution of SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back