Woo Audio WA2 alternative (because of taxes for Germany)
Aug 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

keona

New Head-Fier
As I live in Germany the Woo Audio WA2 (which I really would like to buy) will cost me around $1454 instead of $1090 because of taxtes, etc.
frown.gif

Now I need an amp alternative for them which do not require shipping from outside EU.

I would like to pair them with a Beyer T1. (the only headphone I own)

Which one do you suggest for ~ $1500 ? Or is the WA2 even worth the $1454?

What do you think of an Violectric HPA V200 ?

Any other suggestions?

thanks

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 4
Ouch, I didn't realize it was that much more. I always dread sending packages home because everything gets slapped with taxes, even gifts (happened to my friend)

I like the WA2 a LOT, so it's hard not to recommend it. Unfortunately even though I also own a T1 I can't give much of a recommendation for this combo because I don't like the T1 with any of the amps I tried...

The Violectric is a nice choice, I've been eyeing it myself as a solid-state alternative. Should be good deal too, since they're german... However the sound of a solid-state amp vs tube amp is quite different, even if there some of each that approach a similar sound signature, so fundamentally you should try to figure out what you'd like to go for. After that, only listening will clarify things (I guess one reason why so many head-fiers end up with multiple rigs
rolleyes.gif
)

Interestingly I cannot think of that many european tube amp makers (at least for headphones)... as far as solid-state goes, one that would pique my interest and I think might a good match with the T1 is the Burson Soloist?

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 4
Why not just get a Crack? 90% tube headphone amps are prehistoric designs that sound "toobey" even though a good tube design can be as clean and neutral as a solid state.

You could do a lot worse than the Woo but other than the build quality they aren't much to write home about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back