Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #2,536 of 2,700
I’m not sure if you guys saw this over in the general Woo Audio unite thread, but I just thought I would share here. Same seller I bought the 7236 that I love from. My saved search on EBay pinged, so I thought I would share:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3867621120...-itHXKJQEK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Also, if anyone thinks the price / quality / anything on these is off, please let me know, but they look just like mine, and I think they’re fantastic, dare I say underrated.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #2,537 of 2,700
I’m not sure if you guys saw this over in the general Woo Audio unite thread, but I just thought I would share here. Same seller I bought the 7236 that I love from. My saved search on EBay pinged, so I thought I would share:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3867621120...-itHXKJQEK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Also, if anyone thinks the price / quality / anything on these is off, please let me know, but they look just like mine, and I think they’re fantastic, dare I say underrated.
I didn't get Tung-Sol, but these have worked out rather quite nicely. Couldn't find the T/S when I was looking.

https://vintagetubeservices.com/product/7236-5998-6as7g-cetron-output-tube/

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #2,538 of 2,700
Can Iget a link to this "little thing".

Here's the official page: https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-4-pro-se.html I got mine on a sale, about 10% off, which I have seen recur from time to time. For me, that discount was enough to cover cables and a carrying case for it.

@phthora, How do you like the HPA4? That is one I wanted to try out, but couldn't get my hands on without a return policy that wouldn't hurt shipping wise. I'm on an acreage in a VERY small community now.

I love it. Absolutely my favorite amp. It is clean, controlled, and detailed in a way that I heard from nothing else, including a bunch of Topping and THX amps. Unlike them, it also retains musicality, dynamic impact, and soundstage. It doesn't sound sterile or thin. What it tends to do for any headphone is wring the best possible performance from it, which means the best possible detail, texture, layering, instrument separation, and usually soundstage. It can also help reduce things like bass bloat, treble glare, and smearing because of its exceptional control. It can often make bass-light headphones sound not bassier per se, but easier to hear what bass is there. Same with mids/vocals that are pushed back. It's not that there's now more of that sound there, it's just easier to pick out of the mix and focus on. That said, the sound signature of headphones get zero help from the HPA4. They got a weird mids dip? You're definitely going to hear it. Those headphones too trebley? That's not going away. That helps dial in EQ quite well, but the amp isn't super-forgiving. Yet, you pretty much don't need to worry about synergy unless you know the headphone has flaws. It handles high-z and current-hungry headphones with equal quality. Highly sensitive IEMs or low sensitivity headphones (down to 87 db/mW, at least) no problem. Nothing ever makes it sound worse. It doesn't change with cable swaps, SE vs balanced, or audio drivers either. It's completely indifferent to all the little fiddly stuff people do to eke out more audio quality. Frankly, it's kind of boring. Well, until you're actually listening to music. Versus the 2/4, there's only a small bump up in quality of most things, but a few demanding planars, like the LCD-4 and 5, sound much better on the HPA4. To the point where I cannot listen to the LCD-5 without EQ on the 2/4, but I frequently do on the HPA4. And, it's not just a matter of power, the 2/4 can actually output nearly 1W more per channel. But, the HPA4 resolves those heightened mids enough to prevent glare and keep them clear. All that gets increased just a bit more using the Benchmark DAC too. Anyway, huge fan of the HPA4. I hope you get to try one someday. It may not be your preference ultimately, especially since you're asking about it on a tube amp thread, but it's a certainly worth a long listen regardless.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #2,539 of 2,700
Anyway, huge fan of the HPA4. I hope you get to try one someday. It may not be your preference ultimately, especially since you're asking about it on a tube amp thread, but it's a certainly worth a long listen regardless.
That's totally fair, I was asking as SS reference is still something I like to have as well as the WA22.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #2,540 of 2,700
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #2,541 of 2,700
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #2,542 of 2,700
That's totally fair, I was asking as SS reference is still something I like to have as well as the WA22.

It does complement the WA22 nicely, definitely no redundancy there. And despite everything I said above, I'd still recommend the RME 2/4 instead. It's so good.

• Dimensions (WxHxD): 215 x 44 x 160 mm (8.5" x 1.73" x 6.3")
  • Weight: 1.2 kg ( 2.2 lbs)
  • You call this a "little thing"? :thinking:

I mean, it's literally the size of two medium-sized paperback books stacked up (and smaller than just one Brandon Sanderson novel). For a desktop AIO, that's quite small. I mean, look at it compared to the WA22.

20240208_203300.jpg

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #2,543 of 2,700
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #2,544 of 2,700
Those are really cool looking as well! I love that old-school font on the Cetron logo. Also cheaper than these, so might be a better value. Still, if you like the T/S, this seller is solid, good communication.
Cetron and Tung-Sol are the same , Cetron bought Tung- Sol out and manufactured 7236s on the same equipment .

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #2,545 of 2,700
Cetron and Tung-Sol are the same , Cetron bought Tung- Sol out and manufactured 7236s on the same equipment .
Thanks for that really useful tip! Tube lore is wild stuff, and I’m really glad there are people like you here to keep track of it so we can all know what we’re getting!

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #2,547 of 2,700
Using the ones I got as we speak :gs1000smile:

IMG_0654.JPG

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #2,548 of 2,700
Here's the official page: https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-4-pro-se.html I got mine on a sale, about 10% off, which I have seen recur from time to time. For me, that discount was enough to cover cables and a carrying case for it.

I love it. Absolutely my favorite amp. It is clean, controlled, and detailed in a way that I heard from nothing else, including a bunch of Topping and THX amps. Unlike them, it also retains musicality, dynamic impact, and soundstage. It doesn't sound sterile or thin. What it tends to do for any headphone is wring the best possible performance from it, which means the best possible detail, texture, layering, instrument separation, and usually soundstage. It can also help reduce things like bass bloat, treble glare, and smearing because of its exceptional control. It can often make bass-light headphones sound not bassier per se, but easier to hear what bass is there. Same with mids/vocals that are pushed back. It's not that there's now more of that sound there, it's just easier to pick out of the mix and focus on. That said, the sound signature of headphones get zero help from the HPA4. They got a weird mids dip? You're definitely going to hear it. Those headphones too trebley? That's not going away. That helps dial in EQ quite well, but the amp isn't super-forgiving. Yet, you pretty much don't need to worry about synergy unless you know the headphone has flaws. It handles high-z and current-hungry headphones with equal quality. Highly sensitive IEMs or low sensitivity headphones (down to 87 db/mW, at least) no problem. Nothing ever makes it sound worse. It doesn't change with cable swaps, SE vs balanced, or audio drivers either. It's completely indifferent to all the little fiddly stuff people do to eke out more audio quality. Frankly, it's kind of boring. Well, until you're actually listening to music. Versus the 2/4, there's only a small bump up in quality of most things, but a few demanding planars, like the LCD-4 and 5, sound much better on the HPA4. To the point where I cannot listen to the LCD-5 without EQ on the 2/4, but I frequently do on the HPA4. And, it's not just a matter of power, the 2/4 can actually output nearly 1W more per channel. But, the HPA4 resolves those heightened mids enough to prevent glare and keep them clear. All that gets increased just a bit more using the Benchmark DAC too. Anyway, huge fan of the HPA4. I hope you get to try one someday. It may not be your preference ultimately, especially since you're asking about it on a tube amp thread, but it's a certainly worth a long listen regardless.
It's great that you have both the RME and the HPA4. I was really researching the HPA4 heavily, but oddly enough, some owners talked me out of it. I mentioned that I'd be using my computer lossless audio files -> RME ADI2-> HPA4. They said the sound would not be any different than me plugging my headphones into my RME ADI2. They said the sound I'd get from the HPA4 would be an exact reproduction of the RME ADI2. I think I'm hearing you say that may not be the case and the HPA4 may have some of its own character. Very interesting, because I had been wanting at TOTL solid state amp and this was at the top of my list. Also, side note- your "all of my gear" link was spectacular!

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,549 of 2,700
It's great that you have both the RME and the HPA4. I was really researching the HPA4 heavily, but oddly enough, some owners talked me out of it. I mentioned that I'd be using my computer lossless audio files -> RME ADI2-> HPA4. They said the sound would not be any different than me plugging my headphones into my RME ADI2. They said the sound I'd get from the HPA4 would be an exact reproduction of the RME ADI2. I think I'm hearing you say that may not be the case and the HPA4 may have some of its own character. Very interesting, because I had been wanting at TOTL solid state amp and this was at the top of my list. Also, side note- your "all of my gear" link was spectacular!
I've always wanted to audition the HPA4, it's the shipping back and forth that kills it for me as my preferred dealers wont carry them (not enough margin) and the dealers that do, are the "Professional" recording gear big box chains. They are horrible to deal with in Canada. But my V550 is turning into my SS Reference piece very quickly. But my curiosity is still peaked for the HPA4...

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #2,550 of 2,700
I've always wanted to audition the HPA4, it's the shipping back and forth that kills it for me as my preferred dealers wont carry them (not enough margin) and the dealers that do, are the "Professional" recording gear big box chains. They are horrible to deal with in Canada. But my V550 is turning into my SS Reference piece very quickly. But my curiosity is still peaked for the HPA4...
My curiosity has been piqued for a couple of years for the HPA4. The closest dealer is about 4 hours away, so nothing is convenient. Probably even tougher to audition one in Canada, I'd imagine. Many guys/reviewers state the Topping A90 is about identical for a fraction of the price. Tough to believe, but I've heard that from numerous people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back