Woo Audio WA5 vs. Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold
Mar 16, 2014 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
Can anyone who has experience with the following amps enlighten me as to the sonic differences between them?

Woo Audio WA5 (fully upgraded)
Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold

I haven't seen many comparisons. I intend on using them with planar magnetic headphones like the LCD-X and Abyss.

The Liquid Gold seems more convenient, since there are no tubes to deal with, but if enough people feel the WA5 has a superior sound (which I know is somewhat subjective), I may steer in that direction...or perhaps eventually get them both!

Oh, and if there are other amps you prefer over them, feel free to share the details.

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 14
  There are various comparisons online, if you search for them, but not many. I will probably get the Liquid Gold.

You might want to check out the allnic tube headphone amp. I heard one at last years chiunify summer meet along with the cavalli amps and I thought the allnic was the better sounding amp than all three of the cavalli amps I heard at the show. The amp is also a bit less expensive at 5k.
   If you see the allnic it is a honey of an amp. It actually looks more like a speaker amp. I thought iy was the best sounding amp at the meet.
There was a eddie current balancing act amp at the meet but I got there too late to hear all the amps at the meet though I did get to hear quite a few of them.

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 14

You might want to check out the allnic tube headphone amp. I heard one at last years chiunify summer meet along with the cavalli amps and I thought the allnic was the better sounding amp than all three of the cavalli amps I heard at the show. The amp is also a bit less expensive at 5k.
   If you see the allnic it is a honey of an amp. It actually looks more like a speaker amp. I thought iy was the best sounding amp at the meet.
There was a eddie current balancing act amp at the meet but I got there too late to hear all the amps at the meet though I did get to hear quite a few of them.

Thanks for the info! I'm surprised I never heard of this company before. I looked them up and found that Allnic Audio Labs produce many amplifiers. Do you recall which model you heard? Some of them cost tens of thousands of dollars. In case you weren't aware, the Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold is currently on sale for less than $4,000.

Oh, and what equipment (especially headphones) did you hear it with?

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 14
Actually the Allnic is now more expensive than the LAu which is now (at least temporarily) price at around 4k. It seems to be getting rave reviews too, particularly with the Abyss headphones. Wish I could give that setup a test listen.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 14
  Resurrecting a zombie thread from 2 years ago, but I'd really like to know an answer to this? Specfically the WA5 vs the Cavalli Liquid Glass or Gold. There's no direct comparisons online.

In this comparison, the WA5 won by a landslide. (But it's just one person's experience with one headphone.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2jxmj8/review_and_comparison_from_melb_audio_show/

But now that I've done a lot more research and also auditioned the Abyss, I decided that once I get it, I would just start with a Schiit Jotunheim, then upgrade to the $9,000 Simaudio MOON 600i speaker amp later. (Many say it's the best amp for it.) The only reason I haven't already gotten this stuff is because I'm lazy and generally avoid work.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 14
Resurrecting a zombie thread from 2 years ago, but I'd really like to know an answer to this? Specfically the WA5 vs the Cavalli Liquid Glass or Gold. There's no direct comparisons online.
:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: I'm a little surprised that you don't know where it is you can hear these for yourself to make the comparison. You live in Los Angeles and there only one place you can go to audition these 2 in the world as far as I know. The Source AV Design Group in Torrance Ca. 310-534-9900 ....3035 Kashiwa St Suite 101 ....90505

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 7, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 14
I have both amps on my to try list. LG seems like a better value because it only has two replacement tubes compared to the Woo. I have a feeling more people prefer the Woo's sound though

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 14
Never mind. I got confused with the Gold and Glass. In that case, it all depends if you're a tube or a non tube guy. The LG is gonna be a no hassle plan with no tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back