Woo WA3
Jul 16, 2011 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ookiedukes

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm a new Woo owner. I recently went to the Axpona NYC show a few weeks ago to look around. I had no intentions of looking at or buying a headphone amp.  While there I saw a couple of headphone amps setup at a table and decided to give them a listen. One was the WA6 the other the WA6 SE, with Beyer T1, and Senn HD 800's.  I was taken back by what I heard.
When I asked the gentleman at the table about the amps it turned out to be Jack Wu. He gave me quick history of the products that are built by hand in Queens, a few miles from where I grew up. I later went home and after a couple of weeks decided to order a WA3.
My Woo is dead silent when it should be, and the life to the party when it's playing tunes. Its still new, and in the break in stage, but from what I see, I don't anticipate any problems. 

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 31
Hi duke:
I too sat at Jacks' table and enjoyed the HD800's. At the time I knew nothing of Woo Audio or gave much thought to my headset gear. Since Axpona NYC I have started to realize how much I am missing!
I will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully you will let us know about your rig. What cans are you using and how are you feeding the WA3?

Cheers...

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 31
My cans are HD 650's. The amp is currently being fed from a project turntable and a rotel 1072 cd player out of the tape out of a Nad integrated receiver. Plan on getting a Dac in the near future and start streaming. 

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 31
Nice to hear you love your WA3 ookie. I got an upgraded WA6 and I'm in love with this little amp :wink:  Rediscovering music I've been listening to for many years, and noticing new details everytime!

Life is good :p

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 31
Myxomatosis,

The WA6 is sweet, and yours with the upgrades can only be better. I see you have DT 880 (600 ohm)  cans. I've never heard them, but only hear good things about them. I have them on  my short list of goodies.
I too have been rediscovering my music and have been surprised to hear new details.

Cheers

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
Hi,
I'm a new Woo owner. I recently went to the Axpona NYC show a few weeks ago to look around. I had no intentions of looking at or buying a headphone amp.  While there I saw a couple of headphone amps setup at a table and decided to give them a listen. One was the WA6 the other the WA6 SE, with Beyer T1, and Senn HD 800's.  I was taken back by what I heard.
When I asked the gentleman at the table about the amps it turned out to be Jack Wu. He gave me quick history of the products that are built by hand in Queens, a few miles from where I grew up. I later went home and after a couple of weeks decided to order a WA3.
My Woo is dead silent when it should be, and the life to the party when it's playing tunes. Its still new, and in the break in stage, but from what I see, I don't anticipate any problems. 

Welcome aboard.  It's a nice little amp.
beerchug.gif

Be sure to check out http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths .

Knowledge is power.

USG

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
Welcome aboard.  It's a nice little amp.
beerchug.gif

Be sure to check out http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths .

Knowledge is power.

USG

Yeah, I kind of new most of that stuff before getting into this part of my new headphone listening adventures.

It was one of the reasons I went with the WA3.
I wanted a simple point to point wired well made tube amp.(not made in China)

The fact that Woo Audio is made in the US, by hand, and very close to where I grew up was another reason for my purchase.

While there are differences in the higher costing models, my 50+ year old ears hear more changes with speaker response rather than source's. 
As with my home stereo, I get the most bang for the buck changing out my speakers should I want a different sound.
I had recently tried different amps on my home system, from expensive to not so expensive and I really heard no difference. Now changing speaker was a different story.
I feel buying a different set of cans to me, will allow me to hear more changes rather than changing amps, or tubes. Not to say there are ever so slight differences, I just think that trying different speakers or cans in this case makes for the biggest change in listening.

Thats another reason I have yet to dive into this Dac world, I don't think I could tell the difference between 16, 24, 192, you name it. It all sounds good to me.

Thanks for the thread, I enjoyed reading and listening to it.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 31
The HD 650s seem to be the best combo with the Woo #3. The synergy between the two products is legendary. The new 3s are an improvement over the early models with the preamp out. They made a nonpreamp stand alone headphone amp out of the 3 and gave it a little more power. I will always keep my Woo 3.

Welcome! It will be nice to find out where you want to go from here!

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 31
I love my Woo 3 with the HD 650's.
Jack had informed of the new changes to the WA3, being more powerful. I have no use for a preamp out, so mine has none. It just has great sound.
I have a set of matched Bugle boy tubes in the mail, and I was able to find a tung sol 5998's as well as 7236's, so that will be my next move.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 31
I too just purchased a WA3 from a fellow headfier  for my 650s ... My first amp, and I am blown away.

The difference between unamped and amped is incredible. I was skeptical at first, but after 20 seconds demoing the amp ... I was converted and couldn't wait to get it home and sink into my arm chair.

I wouldn't mind comparing to the LD MKIV SE that I intended to go for, but most comparisons point to the WA3 winning out.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 31
It don't see any reason to compare my WA3 to any other amps. I'm happy with what I hear, and I'm not about to drive myself nuts with comparisons.

My Nad integrated Amp has a headphone output, and the WA3 has a much better sound, end of comparisons for me.
Enjoy it!
L3000.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 31
I'm thinking about going for a WA3. I want an affordable tube amp to pair with my Beyer T1's, and to a lesser extent the HD650's. I'm glad to hear people seem happy with this amp. I am trying to convince myself that I don't need to get a WA2, lol. Money is tight. But I've always wanted to try a tube amp (only ever SS), and the Woo sounds like a good product.

Does anyone recommend the upgrade tubes that Jack recommends on his site?

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 31
Too all Woo3 owners:

I never thought to mention this, but if I turn on my Woo3 first and then plug in my 880s, 650s or T-1s, I hear a large static like discharge sound from the headphones.  It only happens once, so if I unplug and replug while the amp is on, I don't hear it again.

As a result, I learned early on to plug in the headphones before turning on the Woo.

Has anyone else experienced this?

USG

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
Too all Woo3 owners:

I never thought to mention this, but if I turn on my Woo3 first and then plug in my 880s, 650s or T-1s, I hear a large static like discharge sound from the headphones.  It only happens once, so if I unplug and replug while the amp is on, I don't hear it again.

As a result, I learned early on to plug in the headphones before turning on the Woo.

Has anyone else experienced this?

USG

At a show other members stated that it is good to have the headphones plugged in first too. I did hear that noise once from my Woo 3 also. It only happened once and went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back