Woodees IESW101B vs Thinksound TS01 Review: Got Wood?
Apr 21, 2010 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
[size=small]Intro[/size]

Anyone who has spent significant amounts of time browsing Head-Fi’s full-size forum is sure to have noticed that head-fiers’ obsession with wood borders on unhealthy. Wooden housings in full-size headphone design are nothing new - upmarket offerings from premier manufacturers have boasted wood finishes for decades. It is only natural that the expanding IEM market was eventually impacted by the design element. Though relatively uncommon just a few years ago, wooden IEMs are now available in every price range from the $5 Kanen KM-92 to the top-tier JVC HA-FX700, most of them coupled to claims of superior sonic characteristics as a result of the transcendent acoustic properties of wood. To try and separate slick marketing from bleak reality I thought it proper to pit two similarly-priced mid-range entries against each other and see how they fare.

woodeesiesw101bvsthinks.jpg

In one corner, from New Hampshire, USA, weighing in at 10.3g – the Thinksound TS01. Formerly known as the Thunder, the $75 TS01 sits at the bottom of Thinksound’s two-IEM lineup. Advertised as being tuned for enhanced bass response, the TS01 features a 10mm dynamic transducer and comes in two color schemes.

In the opposite corner, from Canadian car audio firm iConnects, stand the Woodees IESW101B. Though pricier than the TS01 on paper at $80, the street price for the Woodees is actually quite a bit lower than the $55 tag commonly found on the Thinksounds. Two variations are available – the mic-less IESW101B and the iPhone-compatible IESW100B headset.

[size=small]Round 1: Packaging & Accessories[/size]

Packaging is where the Thinksound TS01 really stands out from the competition. Thinksounds’s tagline, Clear Sound with a Clearer Conscience, hints at the environmental approach taken by the company. The small and simple recycled-cardboard box manages to be both handsome and completely unassuming at the same time and the lack of traditional plastic inserts makes the packaging very finger-friendly. Along with the earphones in the box users will find four sets of single-flange silicone ear cushions, a shirt clip, and an unbleached cotton drawstring pouch.

Next to the uniquely economical way in which the TS01 is packaged, the large glossy box of the Woodees seems extravagant. The accessory set, however, is nearly identical – four sets of single-flange silicone tips, a shirt clip, and a black velour drawstring pouch. It should be noted that the cable of the Woodees does feature a sliding cord cinch, which the Thinksounds lack.

Advantage: neither – If environmental responsibility holds any value for you as a consumer, the Thinksounds win hands down. Otherwise, the accessory sets and packaging are comparable between the two.

[size=small]Round 2: Appearance & Build Quality[/size]

thinksoundthunderts01fu.jpg

Available in two color schemes - Black Chocolate and Silver Cherry – the Thinksounds impress with the attention to detail taken in their design and generally upmarket feel of the product. My set, which happens to be of the Silver Cherry variety, features Cherry-colored wood housings and machined aluminum nozzles. The housings are very small and taper towards the rear. A thinksound logo is painted on the rear of the housings and the left/right markings are etched in the metal on the underside. The rubberized PVC-free cables are properly relieved and do a great job of staying untangled. The iPhone-friendly 3.5mm plug is rather sturdy and features a prominent Thinksound logo, as does the metal Y-split.

woodeesiesw101bfull.jpg

Compared to the diminutive and delicate-looking Thinksounds, the Woodees are gargantuan. The wooden acoustic chamber alone can swallow the TS01 housings whole with room to spare. The light wood – orange metal color scheme isn’t as striking as the contrasting finish on the Thinksound models. The housings are notably lighter and the metal doesn’t feel quite as solid as the machined aluminum on the TS01. An odd issue is that the metal nozzle filters aren’t quite big enough to cover the entire nozzle opening. While not a functional issue, the mismatch makes the build seem a bit sloppy. The painted-on Woodees logo and Left/Right markings have a tendency to rub off with time. The strain reliefs are much longer and thicker on the Woodees than the TS01 but don’t feel quite as integrated. The cabling, despite being thicker than the TS01 cord, is prone to tangling.

Advantage: Thinksound TS01 - Though the Woodees are competently-built, the TS01 walk away with an easy victory due to consistent attention to detail and remarkably good aesthetics.

[size=small]Round 3: Fit & Comfort[/size]

Though both of the earphones are conventional straight-barrel IEMs, the tiny tapered housings of the TS01 simply disappear in my ears. The short strain reliefs make them easy to wear over-the-ear and they sit flush enough to be slept in either way. The Woodees, while lighter, are significantly larger. Though still competent in terms of fit, sleeping in the Woodees is difficult to imagine. Despite the longer strain reliefs, they are still very easy to wear over-the-ear and comfortable for hours at a time with the right tips.

Advantage: Thinksound TS01 – The TS01 walks away with the point in this round due to the small housings and short strain reliefs, which make them one of the most user-friendly IEMs out there in terms of fit.

[size=small]Round 4: Isolation & Microphonics[/size]

Isolation is where the sealed-chamber Woodees have a chance to get ahead - the ambient attenuation of the Thinksounds is quite average due to the massive vents on the rear of the housings. The relatively shallow fit doesn’t help, either. Strangely, however, the isolation on the Woodees is not much better. Even with foam tips the difference in attenuation between the two is 2-3dB at most, not a significant disparity at all for two different designs.

Microphonics are present in equal measure on both - slightly bothersome when worn cord-down and completely nonexistent when worn cord-up. The shirt clip on the TS01 helps reduce the effects, as does the cable cinch on the Woodees. Atypically for a $75 earphone, however, the Thinksounds suffer from mild driver flex on insertion. The flex is perfectly tolerable and not nearly as bad as many budget sets but it should be absent completely.

Advantage: Woodees IESW101B Microphonics are comparable between the two and the Woodees only edge the Thinksounds out in isolation by a (very) narrow margin. The real clincher here is the small but noticeable amount of driver flex present in the TS01.

[size=small]Round 5: Sound[/size]

Technical Specifications (Thinksound TS01 / Woodees IESW101B):
-Type: Dynamic Driver
-Driver Diameter: 10mm
-Impedance: 16Ω
-Sensitivity: NA / 105dB/mW
-Frequency Range: 20~20,000Hz
-Plug: 3.5mm, straight
-Cord length: 1.2m (4ft)
-Cord type: y-cord

Testing Setup
[size=xx-small]All on-the-go listening was done straight from an unamped Sansa Fuze using a selection of tracks in 192-320kbps mp3 format featuring a variety of genres including different subgenres of Rock & Metal, Pop, Acoustic, Blues, Jazz, and Electronica. Benefits of a portable amp are deduced from running the earphones through a 5x gain mini3 connected to the Fuze via a vampire-wire LOD. All critical listening is done via an optical-fed iBasso D10 with stock opamps using a significantly wider selection of tracks in FLAC and Windows Media lossless formats. [/size]

Whether due to the wooden acoustic chambers common to both of the earphones or purely by virtue of analogous tuning, the Thinksounds and Woodees do share a generally similar sound signature. Both of the earphones have prominent bass, full mids, and slightly harsh treble. Both are warm and rather liquid-sounding. But they aren’t identical in sound; not when compared head-to-head.

Bass response on the Thinksounds is more full-bodied as a result of slightly better extension, quantitatively greater impact, more convincing timbre, and better texturing. As promised in the promotional materials, bass response is indeed ‘enhanced’, but not downright overblown. Mid- and upper-bass is noticeably boosted from I would consider to be natural levels but the TS01 are still very far from being bass cannons. In comparison the Woodees have a tighter and puncher low end, foregoing a bit of the bass quantity for a more accurate sound. They are slightly more linear and make the TS01 sound just a tad boomy in comparison. The midrange transition is smooth on both earphones, with coloration and warmth more prominent in the Thinksounds. Both have warmed up mids on the large scale, resulting in a rather lush sound. Neither earphone is mid-forward but again the Woodees sound a bit more even in terms of bass/midrange balance. Detail is quite solid for the price on both earphones, with the Woodees winning slightly in clarity due to a cooler presentation.

Again exhibiting surprising similarities, both earphones struggle to stay smooth towards the upper midrange and lower treble. The Woodees exhibit notable harshness and some sibilance, accented by their brighter presentation compared to the TS01. The Thinksounds don’t exactly walk away unscathed, either, with a slightly smoother top end but a more notable spike in the upper mids. On occasion the crack of a drum is really jarring with the TS01, more so due to the contrast with the extremely smooth and liquid nature of the bass and lower mids. Using foam tips, either Comply T/Tx400 or de-cored Shure Olives, helped soak up some of the roughness in the upper reaches, though the cost/benefit ratio of the upgrade is rather small due to the price tags on said tips. Top-end extension is very similar on both earphones as far as I can tell but the brighter Woodees sound more effortless. Still, neither lacks in treble quantity by my standards.

In terms of presentation the earphones exhibit similar characteristics as well. Positioning and instrumental separation are adequate on both. Soundstage width and airiness are slightly greater on the Woodees while the Thinksounds boast better depth and a more ‘layered’ sound, resulting in greater dimensionality. The TS01 is definitely an intimate-sounding earphone, which actually works rather well with the sound signature.

Objectively, the earphones are very close to each other in overall performance. Differences between the two are amplified greatly in direct comparison but on the grand scale they are quite close. I can easily see someone preferring the brighter and punchier Woodees to the thicker and heavier-sounding TS01. For me, the TS01 presents a more coherent picture with its accentuated low end, warm mids, and intimate presentation.

Advantage: Thinksound TS01

[size=small]Conclusions[/size]

While the Thinksound TS01 and Woodees IESW101B are both competent and competitive products, I feel that the higher price of the TS01 is justified by better build quality and generally more agreeable ergonomics. In terms of sound it is difficult to name a clear winner as the earphones are really two flavors of the same sound signature. In the end it will come down to personal preference between the two but in this particular case I would not recommend buying both – they are far too similar to be used as complements. Buying one, however, is a much easier choice. Though not quite perfect, the two are definitely near the top among all the IEMs I’ve heard in the price range, running side-by-side with head-fi favorites like the Nuforce NE-6 and Meelec M6. Most importantly, I can happily say that nether company is using the wooden acoustic chambers they so openly advertise as a gimmick to create an illusion of value where there is none. And for that I take my (hypothetical) hat off to both manufacturers.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jensy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good review, very informative! I've noticed more and more Wooden IEM's appearing on the market, unfortunately more on the cheaper side though.

Unfortunately there really is no good way to know for sure how the acoustic properties of wood affect an earphone, all other things equal. I really wish some manufacturer would release a pair of IEMs identical in every way except for choice of materials (wood vs. metal or plastic) - akin to what Monster did with the 'Gold'/'Copper' but actually different - so that we could evaluate the merits of all these claims.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 12
nice review, should look into the crossroad woody 2
smily_headphones1.gif
imo they sound really good.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 12
Very nice head-to-head comparison! Was a fun read.

I'm a bit of a skeptic when comes to any advantages offered by wood housings vs. plastic/metal in IEMs. I just have a hard time believing the wood changes the acoustics in such a small enclosure (vs. large wood enclosures for speakers). Can't say I have any direct experience to substantiate that, though. As you said, it will be hard to come to any concrete conclusion until a company comes out with one identical set of IEMs with only the wood - plastic - metal housing difference.

Am trying out the Sleek Audio SA1 now to see if its rosewood body is as sonically impressive as the marketing claims. We'll see ...

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Having heard the Rains, there definitely seems to be something about wood that is great for timbre, since this is such a common positive remark on wood headphones. I don't know the sound science, but I wonder if it has to do with so many instruments being made out of wood, and the wood housing helping to replicate a more natural timbre as such.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 12
Great review. I've been interested in the Woodees and the Thinksound TS01s for a while now because I wanted to experience that lush, full-bodied wooden sound that's popular in some segments and I'd been interested in picking one of these IEMs up but honestly, my Kanen KM-92s (properly EQed of course) give me that great sense of fullness and appropriately lively timbre that I was expecting from wooden IEMs so I'm rather happy as it is.

Who knows? Maybe I'll pick up a pair of TS01s for review somewhere down the road.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 12
A great write-up and enjoyable reading. Having the Rain I wonder how the bass on the TS01, being the less balanced offering, manages not being intrusive on the mids as i feel with Rain it already has such bidy and punch, Not so far behind of my SE530. It's really hard to justify selling them actually.

What's a Driver-Flex?

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhitakr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a bit of a skeptic when comes to any advantages offered by wood housings vs. plastic/metal in IEMs. I just have a hard time believing the wood changes the acoustics in such a small enclosure (vs. large wood enclosures for speakers). Can't say I have any direct experience to substantiate that, though. As you said, it will be hard to come to any concrete conclusion until a company comes out with one identical set of IEMs with only the wood - plastic - metal housing difference.

Am trying out the Sleek Audio SA1 now to see if its rosewood body is as sonically impressive as the marketing claims. We'll see ...

Yes, the problem really is that there is no way to know what certain characteristics should be attributed to. You may not like those SA1, for example, but chances are you won't attribute that to the wooden housings but rather the drivers or poor tuning on Sleek's part. However, if they turn out to sound lush and have proper timbre, you may be tempted to attribute it to the wood. It's funny but the Cubic Zirconium HJE900s have what is probably the most natural timbre of all the IEMs I've tried. Is it the Zirconium? I don't know but I can't think of why Zirconium would have a positive effect on timbre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A great write-up and enjoyable reading. Having the Rain I wonder how the bass on the TS01, being the less balanced offering, manages not being intrusive on the mids as i feel with Rain it already has such bidy and punch, Not so far behind of my SE530. It's really hard to justify selling them actually.

What's a Driver-Flex?

Yes, I really can't call the TS01 a bass monster. They are slightly v-shaped but no more so than a Meelec M6 and the bass is actually a bit more controlled.

Driver flex is the sound of the transducer mebrane in a dynamic driver flexing due to increasing air pressure when you shove the earphone into your ear. It sounds like a crinkle; the presence and volume of driver flex depends on how the transducer is built. It's fairly prevalent in cheap (<$20) IEMs but not too common in higher-end offerings.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Yea, and it's also of course seal dependent. Lol when I had my HJE900 with Hybrids stuffed with complys, the seal was so airtight I got driver flex liiterally every single time I inserted them into my ear.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 12
Really good review, thank you.  I bought the thinksound roughly a month ago.  I use either an iPod (rockboxed) with a C5 Cayin or an X3 with Fiio E12.   I also use most of the volume of both amps as I am very hard of hearing.  The thinksounds handle the power with no problem and still are not distorting on the low end.  When I first used them, the bass was overpowering.  A few days later they have balanced.  I mainly use these the Vivo 800XE, Vsonic Vds3 among others.  These sound every bit as good as some much higher priced earphones.  How long they last is the only concern I have.  Again, no problems so far.
Am only playing high quality flacs and V0's as source, lots of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back