Woo's New Flagship WA33
Oct 11, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #2,836 of 3,214
hey guys.. cross posting in the WA23 forum as well... so I just bought a WA23 as well.... will be here next week. SO I will have a WA23 and WA33 Elite Side by side. I plan do do a bunch of tests.... however THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE. I will sell one... someone here will get the best deal on a 33 Elite or 23 that exists... I want to move fast the unit I don't keep. If there is interest in either feel free to DM me and I can get you on the short list. I got my Phi TC 1266 yesterday but need to order a new strap so can't comment on that yet. If it turns out to be a killer I will prob keep the 33E... however the Utopia 22 scales like no tomorrow on the 33E... if you have not heard it on a 33E you have not heard the Utopia 2022.... compared direct from Dave on a Farad super 3 upgrade... well it destroys it. SO if U22 is better on the 23 there is a good argument to keep that.... if that's the case will sell the 1266 Phi TC at a hell of a discount as well. Going to try both in my 2 chan setup as well and see which is best there... JC5 powering KEF reference 3 metas. Looking forward to reporting back on the shootout and posting pics.

Also for the U22 owners see ZEOS review he also agrees that these on great tubes is otherworldly. Anyone with a U22 may want one of these. Any specific questions please shoot through. I also have an LCD4Z but dint have a balanced XLR plug on that... sidetone... that sounds really good out of the farad Dave... DaveF is a step up... DaveF + a WA33 is truly next level.

Will settle the WA23 debate. love my 33E... going into this test with no expectations... I expect the 33e to win yet several with the 23 say it sounds better... Ill soon be able to call the BS... I don't think anyone has had both side by side at home to test in a relaxed environment. Will be pleasantly surprised if the 23 wins... smaller footprint is nice but the 33 looks nice on the rack as well!

Oct 11, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #2,837 of 3,214
hey guys.. cross posting in the WA23 forum as well... so I just bought a WA23 as well.... will be here next week. SO I will have a WA23 and WA33 Elite Side by side. I plan do do a bunch of tests.... however THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE. I will sell one... someone here will get the best deal on a 33 Elite or 23 that exists... I want to move fast the unit I don't keep. If there is interest in either feel free to DM me and I can get you on the short list. I got my Phi TC 1266 yesterday but need to order a new strap so can't comment on that yet. If it turns out to be a killer I will prob keep the 33E... however the Utopia 22 scales like no tomorrow on the 33E... if you have not heard it on a 33E you have not heard the Utopia 2022.... compared direct from Dave on a Farad super 3 upgrade... well it destroys it. SO if U22 is better on the 23 there is a good argument to keep that.... if that's the case will sell the 1266 Phi TC at a hell of a discount as well. Going to try both in my 2 chan setup as well and see which is best there... JC5 powering KEF reference 3 metas. Looking forward to reporting back on the shootout and posting pics.

Also for the U22 owners see ZEOS review he also agrees that these on great tubes is otherworldly. Anyone with a U22 may want one of these. Any specific questions please shoot through. I also have an LCD4Z but dint have a balanced XLR plug on that... sidetone... that sounds really good out of the farad Dave... DaveF is a step up... DaveF + a WA33 is truly next level.

Will settle the WA23 debate. love my 33E... going into this test with no expectations... I expect the 33e to win yet several with the 23 say it sounds better... Ill soon be able to call the BS... I don't think anyone has had both side by side at home to test in a relaxed environment. Will be pleasantly surprised if the 23 wins... smaller footprint is nice but the 33 looks nice on the rack as well!
I look forward to your impressions. I've read that if you have a 1266 there's no need for Utopia but with your observations I might pull the trigger as I have a WA33 EE as well.

Oct 11, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #2,838 of 3,214

Utopia 2022 + WA33 is just epic. I have heard the Susvara + WA33 (yes it was very good) and I preferred the Utopias. The dynamics of Utopias and the tonality is phenomenal. Reminded me very much of Wilson Audio Sasha DAWs. *I haven't heard the Abyss yet.

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #2,839 of 3,214

Also try original HD800 (not HD800S) on WA33 EE. Will blow your mind bc it blew mine.

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #2,841 of 3,214
Utopia 2022 + WA33 is just epic. I have heard the Susvara + WA33 (yes it was very good) and I preferred the Utopias. The dynamics of Utopias and the tonality is phenomenal. Reminded me very much of Wilson Audio Sasha DAWs. *I haven't heard the Abyss yet.
Inhad a sus few years ago was way to mellow for me. U22 is very impressive on 33e

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #2,842 of 3,214

If you are selling TC and open for international shipping to an long time head-fi'er, I will grab it.

Oct 13, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #2,844 of 3,214
Oct 13, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #2,845 of 3,214
I will also put my Abyss 1266 PHI TC with 3m Superconductor cable for sale. I'm just waiting for the replacement band to arrive.

Oct 13, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #2,846 of 3,214
I predict the tubes will sell first

What did you replace it with?
There is not a lot with the potential to beat the Wa33 EE

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #2,847 of 3,214
I predict the tubes will sell first

What did you replace it with?
There is not a lot with the potential to beat the Wa33 EE
I want to get a Warwick Aperio.

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #2,848 of 3,214
1000013402.jpg

So those of who were having rectifier issues, something interesting I found out. This is a KR274B rectifier in a WA33. Temp is 160C/320F (pic was taken by the guy who services and repairs tube amps here in Melbourne). Maybe the failure of the Tak 274Bs has to do with the temp they are operating at? Or the valve is operating at a voltage/current which is at or past it's limit hence the high temps? Someone knowledge might be able to chip in.

I didn't have other rectifiers to try out.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #2,849 of 3,214

So those of who were having rectifier issues, something interesting I found out. This is a KR274B rectifier in a WA33. Temp is 160C/320F (pic was taken by the guy who services and repairs tube amps here in Melbourne). Maybe the failure of the Tak 274Bs has to do with the temp they are operating at? Or the valve is operating at a voltage/current which is at or past it's limit hence the high temps? Someone knowledge might be able to chip in.

I didn't have other rectifiers to try out.
That makes a lot of sense. @paradoxper was saying the same thing about the 274bs. The 274b is burning a lot hotter than the 5U-whatever, and that makes sense why everybody has them die after a year. I have a backup Tak 274b (my 3rd set) because of this. Sh!t sounds good, but it costs you.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #2,850 of 3,214

I'm really looking forward to your comparisons. Some people say the 23 is better, but I am very skeptical. It's also single ended vs balanced. That might have something to do with the different impressions. A friend of mine uses the 23 as a pre to his Riviera AIC10. I heard it off the Susvaras and it was very good.

My guess is that the WA33 EE JPS will be better. We'll have to see what you think with your comparisons. Having them side by side is awesome. I do think you are the only person I know that has done that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back