Woo's New Flagship WA33
Jul 31, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #2,703 of 3,214
They claim that the WA33 operates the ER5U4G out of spec. Woo also does not recommend the Elrog as they do not recommend any tube that "flashes" upon startup.
All this information came out after I had already purchased the tube.
The tube flashes when u turn on the wa33? Like arcing?

Jul 31, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,705 of 3,214
Jul 31, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #2,706 of 3,214
Then Thomas Mayer(Elrog owner) will likely tell you that he does not recommend Elrog for use in that amplifier. He claimed that flash meant that the WA33 was operating the tube out of spec and used that reason to deny my warranty claim on the ER5U4G. Good luck if you every have a warranty issue.

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #2,707 of 3,214
Then Thomas Mayer(Elrog owner) will likely tell you that he does not recommend Elrog for use in that amplifier. He claimed that flash meant that the WA33 was operating the tube out of spec and used that reason to deny my warranty claim on the ER5U4G. Good luck if you every have a warranty issue.
he refused to replace my Elrog 5U4G (i had arcing in my red october with dual elrog 5U4G's) which i bought from partsconnextion and not from a local dealer.

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #2,708 of 3,214
Ok, but if elrog 5U4G flash in red October amplifier and wa33 amplifier I think that the problem is not the amplifier but the tube. I try 274b, 5u4g, 5ar4 tube and nothing of this tube had problem in the amp. Then I like 5u4gb tube but it is a my personal opinion. This tube give more live in bass and the amp became more fast

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #2,709 of 3,214
OK thats normal for elrog tubes. I have elrog 300B's in my red October and they do the same thing.
They do not do that in my Woo WA5-LE, and it runs 2 of them. I haven't had an issue in more than a year of running them.

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #2,710 of 3,214
They do not do that in my Woo WA5-LE, and it runs 2 of them. I haven't had an issue in more than a year of running them.
just so we arent getting confused. when you turn on your amp, the elrog 5u4gs glow straight away?

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #2,711 of 3,214
just so we arent getting confused. when you turn on your amp, the elrog 5u4gs glow straight away?
Correct, and they stay at the same luminance level the entire time. No changes brighter or dimmer. Just pure Elrog goodness.

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #2,712 of 3,214
Correct, and they stay at the same luminance level the entire time. No changes brighter or dimmer. Just pure Elrog goodness.
OK my elrog 300bs do the same. I thought that's what was happening in the video lol

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #2,713 of 3,214
I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, but which amp would you all recommend for Susvara, Expanse, D8000 Pro, and Meze Elite? I'm trying to choose between the WA-33 and Feliks Envy. I have a WA-22 currently that I love to death, but it's a bit underpowered for planars. The upgrade bug keeps biting though, so I'm trying to decide on what will (hopefully!) be my end of the road headphone amp for a year or two.

I'm leaning towards the WA-33 because it's a tube rectifier amp, but I do like that Envy uses 300b tubes.

Decisions, decisions.
I mean, it depends on your budget. I love my WA33, but I'd go Viva Egoista 845 in a second. It's actually my next new equipment buy. Saving up for it now. One day! I want a black one with Porsche Guards Red insert. Should be sexy.

Woo is super powerful. Lacks a very slight bit in overall Soundstage and width, but it's so powerful most of time that doesn't matter. It's almost like it's trying to force width with pure power (but not in a bad way at all). Different from the Stratus, which has less power but more euphoria. Also mids are slightly forward. WA33 plays well with dynamics and planar alike. It's my preference with the Rosson and Caldera vs other amps I own and have owned.

The 845 also has rediculous power. But when I was able to demo one, it had what I have heard other call PRaT (pace, rhythm, and timing.)The best I have ever heard the Elite sound. Didn't get a chance to try with others. But what I heard was incredible. And I have heard some good stuff. As a Naim fan, I can appreciate some good PRaT.

For Susvara, best I ever heard was Enleum 23r. It's like it was made for that headphone.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #2,714 of 3,214
I don’t know whether there’s a difference in soundstage between the standard edition and the Elite but my Elite with different tubes to the OE sound fantastic with the Susvara and 1266. The soundstage is just as big as my Envy with 300B but only once it’s real hot. Takes about an hour + to get there.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #2,715 of 3,214
I don’t know whether there’s a difference in soundstage between the standard edition and the Elite but my Elite with different tubes to the OE sound fantastic with the Susvara and 1266. The soundstage is just as big as my Envy with 300B but only once it’s real hot. Takes about an hour + to get there.
I wonder if that is us getting used to it, or if there is a real difference, as I feel the same way about Stratus and WA33. Wait an hour or more, and wow.

*edit - also not running stock tubes in either

Also, you should borrow an enleum for the sus. Super good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back