Worries about sound quality of Ety HF2, genuine or fakes?
Sep 10, 2011 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Paul1n

New Head-Fier

After reading about fake earphones being on the market, I inspected my Etymotic HF2s closely. There is no inscription or logo to identify make or model. Not on the earbuds, not on the cables, not on the microphone part. The box looks normal though.
I'm afraid I may have bought fakes since the sound is very low-fi (lack of detail, distortion in high mids), far from what I read in the reviews. Bought them online in Holland for 125 Euros (about $173). Can anyone check inscriptions on their HF2?

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 3
Never heard of any fake Etymotic before. You should take some close up pictures if you want people to identify it for you, though I really suspect you are just having poor seal.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 3
Anyone willing to check their HF2 for text markings other than the encircled R/L ?

To answer your comment: the seal is ok (took some 'training') and there is plenty of bass. However, with classical choir music, high female voices start to squeal, very irritating. With my Senn HD555 the voices stay cleaner -> the source is ok.

This is more than sounding a bit treble-heavy, it's distortion. This bothers me so much that i ask myself 'do i really have genuine hf2s'? (the absence of markings adds to my uncertainty) Or am i asking too much? Maybe this kind of distortion is normal for the hf2's price class? Curious to hear the opinion of people that have more experience with IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back