Worth replacing the Xfi Xtreme Gamer for Xonar DX?
Jun 10, 2012 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

apsol

New Head-Fier
I am thinking of buying a xonar dx to replace the xtreme gamer but wondered if it's worth the money invested.

there will be significant improvements in sound that are worth or will be almost the same?

I'll be using the DT 990 PRO and a bravo audio v2 (that still not arrived).

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I am thinking of buying a xonar dx to replace the xtreme gamer but wondered if it's worth the money invested.
there will be significant improvements in sound that are worth or will be almost the same?
I'll be using the DT 990 PRO and a bravo audio v2 (that still not arrived).

The Xonar DX should have a better DAC then the Xtreme Gamer
The Xonar comes with Dolby Virtual Headphone 7.1, so DVD & Blu-ray movies will have good surround sound.

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
But excluding all those technologies (Dolby Headphone etc) will be there an audible difference between them?

As the Xonar DX has a better DAC, all audio should sound better with the DX.
How much exactly, not sure.
The tube amplifier will do a good job of driving the DT990s, bring out the best in the DT990.
The website Rockgrotto has a forum with some threads on the little tube amplifier.
For around $7, you can get a digital multi-meter (DT830) to fine adjust the voltage on the Bravo.

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 11
You'd be DOWNGRADING in terms of gaming features, that much is certain. How important is proper DirectSound3D and OpenAL support with EAX 3/4/5 to you?

Analog output quality will likely improve, though. Whether you can hear the difference or not is another matter. You'd probably be better off stepping up to a card like the X-Fi Titanium HD, Xonar Essence STX, or HT Omega Claro Halo if you already have a sound card to begin with and want something better.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
You'd be DOWNGRADING in terms of gaming features, that much is certain. How important is proper DirectSound3D and OpenAL support with EAX 3/4/5 to you?

Analog output quality will likely improve, though. Whether you can hear the difference or not is another matter. You'd probably be better off stepping up to a card like the X-Fi Titanium HD, Xonar Essence STX, or HT Omega Claro Halo if you already have a sound card to begin with and want something better.

Those gaming features are not important for me but then thought better of what you said and actually maybe its better to buy one of those you said if i want to hear big differences in sound.

thanks.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Those gaming features are not important for me but then thought better of what you said and actually maybe its better to buy one of those you said if i want to hear big differences in sound.

With the Xonar STX, you would not need an external amplifier. But the DAC alone would not make a big (or maybe even audible) difference compared to the Xonar DX, unless the EMI shield on the STX happens to be useful in your particular machine. The STX also allows for replacing the op amps for those who believe it improves the sound. It does have a better quality ADC as well, and RCA and 1/4" jack connectors instead of 1/8" jacks.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 11
If you're purely interested in music, you can also use an external DAC. It's kinda isolated from the high RF environment of your PC. But you'll be missing out on the gaming/surround features of course.
But the STX is a good overall option if you're looking to get a soundcard.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
thanks.

The Xonar DX and Essence STX use the same audio processor (CMI8788). The only real advantage the STX has over the DX is the STX's headphone amplifier.
But the Bravo tube amplifier can power headphones just as well as the STX's headphone amplifier.
The STX does come with 3 swappable op-amps (operational amplifiers), but it's not a feature you have to use.
Used Xonar DX is $55
Essence STX $148

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
If you're purely interested in music, you can also use an external DAC. It's kinda isolated from the high RF environment of your PC. But you'll be missing out on the gaming/surround features of course.
But the STX is a good overall option if you're looking to get a soundcard.

The STX (& DX) can use all it's "gaming" features (Dolby Virtual Headphone 7.1) thru the digital coaxial & optical outputs.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 11
Sorry to dig up an old thread but this one appears to be the first one on google on the subject.
I searched around and everywhere i found people highly recommending the stx over the x-fi, so i splashed out for a shiny new stx and.. i'm very underwhelmed by it, i'm just going to sell my xonar and stick with my old x-fi as imo it sounds better than the xonar once you start using the crystalizer feature and bass booster, and the surround sound in gamer mode is fantastic in games.

On the xonar music and gaming lacks bass, bumping it up with the mixer makes all other frequencies become muddy sounding and crappy, whereas on the x-fi the bass boost is separated from the other channels and you can raise the bass as much as you like without effecting the other frequencies.
The dolby virtual speakers are just an echo effect.. alls it does is add a bit of echo to the sound, whereas with the x-fi it actually sounds like sound is coming from behind you.
the 7.1 virtual speaker on the xonar just does absolutely nothing for me.. alls it does is raise the volume, lowering it back down to normal it sounds exactly the same as without it.
Sample rate makes a tiny difference to how clear highs are in flacs, but the difference is really minor it's not even worth worrying about.
The power amp for the headset is apparently supposed to make the sound clearer and richer, alls it does is make it louder.
The flexbass setting turns the bass off. wut.
The environment effects are nice on the low setting, anything else is way over the top, but i'm not one for environment effects anyway.

The only positive thing i've found the xonar has over the x-fi is extremely low frequency bass has more of a rumble to it and is clearer, but it's not worth the sacrificing of other frequencies to hear it.
In the end, it's just not worth the price tag at all especially when the x-fi sounds better than it overall and is cheaper too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back