Would you buy headphones which could be turned into speakers if they competed in quality with existing headphones on the market?
Oct 19, 2011 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

4Wise

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]Hey, I am a Student from Loughborough University studying Industrial Design looking to design a pair of headphones that will transform into speakers for on the go. Would you purchase a product like this? I will record the results in my research, but you can withdraw at any stage. [/size]

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 23
its been done before (excluding the portability).....AKG K1000 earspeakers :)

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 23
I know its been done before but do you feel there is a market there, There isn't anything current out there at the moment?

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 23
nope, it definitely has selling potential if you can somehow succeed in making something that can function as both speakers and headphones while remaining portable.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
[size=medium]Hey, I am a Student from Loughborough University studying Industrial Design looking to design a pair of headphones that will transform into speakers for on the go. Would you purchase a product like this? I will record the results in my research, but you can withdraw at any stage. [/size]

They would never have a satisfying bass.

So the answer is: no.

Very best,

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 23
I would say no.  If you convert headphones to speakers on the fly, does this imply the headphones being designed will be open back?  Not many people...in fact nobody I know is willing to use open back headphones on the go.  If they were to sound even half decent they would need to be pretty large, at least 40mm driver types.  

I am not sure this is a good idea.  If the set will be closed back, there is little likelihood that it will sound decent with its cups removed and converted to speakers.  I think its a neat idea, but not a practical one, sadly :[

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 23
The design will not be open backed but have two sets of speakers one set for headphones, one for the speakers. I realise the complications of space for components, batteries etc. Im just wondering if the headphone and speaker worked well to a good standard if the product would be a desirable one. For example the use of portable speakers where ever you are with out having to carry a spair pair?

Taking all of the issues away you guys have stated would it be something you would consider?

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 23
Didn't you already have a few threads about this? Earlier - long discussion linked below.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576327/headphones-vs-audio-system-or-combined

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 23
Yea sorry this was a different question, I just wanted to know whether people would interested in them so I can fill out a poll

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 23
No I just want to know if people would buy it if it competed in quality within the market, yes or no so then I can put it into my research

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #15 of 23
I remember a picture of grado labs where they had 8 drivers or so in a small wooden enclosure..that never took off i assume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back