X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion VS Realtek AC 1150
Jul 4, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 14
  Hello,
Can you suggest, will getting Fatal1ty increase the sound performance over Realtek when using SPDIF to my Fiio E09K+E17 Combo?

I'm assuming your daisy chaining the E17 between the Realtek/Fatal1ty and the E09K and not docking the E17 to the E09K?

When using a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output, audio quality between the Fatal1ty and Realtek will be the same.
The Fatal1ty should offer better headphone surround sound features.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 14
  I'm assuming your daisy chaining the E17 between the Realtek/Fatal1ty and the E09K and not docking the E17 to the E09K?

When using a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output, audio quality between the Fatal1ty and Realtek will be the same.
The Fatal1ty should offer better headphone surround sound features.

Thank you for the reply.

I will only receive my E17+E09K today, thereby all options are available, but none have been tried yet. 

And how about the difference in quality if I connect Realtek Or Fatal1ty to my old home theater system via S/PDIF (it has it's own dvd/receiver) will there be any difference? 

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 14
  I will only receive my E17+E09K today, thereby all options are available, but none have been tried yet. 
And how about the difference in quality if I connect Realtek Or Fatal1ty to my old home theater system via S/PDIF (it has it's own dvd/receiver) will there be any difference? 

As long as was are talking about the audio signal still in it's digital form, audio quality is the same, if sourced with a Falat1ty sound card , Realtek on-board, Xonar sound card, etc.
The first thing to really effect audio quality is the DAC (Digital to Analog converter), like the one built into the E17 or home theater system.
I would think the DAC chip (WM8740) in the E17 is going to be the best DAC you have.
So for best audio quality, connect the Falat1ty's or Realtek's optical output to the optical input on the E17 and any headphones you have to the E17's headphone output.
You really do not have to use the E09K or Home theater system, for headphones.

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 14

As long as was are talking about the audio signal still in it's digital form, audio quality is the same, if sourced with a Falat1ty sound card , Realtek on-board, Xonar sound card, etc.
The first thing to really effect audio quality is the DAC (Digital to Analog converter), like the one built into the E17 or home theater system.
I would think the DAC chip (WM8740) in the E17 is going to be the best DAC you have.
So for best audio quality, connect the Falat1ty's or Realtek's optical output to the optical input on the E17 and any headphones you have to the E17's headphone output.
You really do not have to use the E09K or Home theater system, for headphones.

So if i'll use E17 docked in to E09K - I will not get any increase in quality over just connecting E17 straight to headphones?

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 14
  So if i'll use E17 docked in to E09K - I will not get any increase in quality over just connecting E17 straight to headphones?

Docking the E17 to the E09K will not increase audio quality, with headphones connected to the E09K
As the digital audio signal is still being sent thru the same WM8740 DAC chip.
The E09K does have a more powerful headphone amplifier, so if your using high impedance headphones, then the E09k would be good for plugging the headphones into.

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 14

Docking the E17 to the E09K will not increase audio quality, with headphones connected to the E09K
As the digital audio signal is still being sent thru the same WM8740 DAC chip.
The E09K does have a more powerful headphone amplifier, so if your using high impedance headphones, then the E09k would be good for plugging the headphones into.

I see... All in all what will be the better option - to swap E17 for a better sound card like asus xonar and connect xonar to E09K to headphones for better quality?  or the other way Swap E09K and connect Xonar to E17 to headphones? 

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 14
  I see... All in all what will be the better option - to swap E17 for a better sound card like Asus Xonar and connect Xonar to E09K to headphones for better quality?  or the other way Swap E09K and connect Xonar to E17 to headphones? 

Depends on the headphones.
If the headphones are under 100-Ohms, then the E17 can easily drive them.
(low impedance headphones should do well with the E17's very low output impedance)
Headphones that are 250-Ohms or higher should sound a little better plugged into the E09K.
Headphones in the over 100-Ohm to under 250-Ohm, both amplifiers should do the job.

To me an Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $60) would make a good combo, with the E09K

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 14

(low impedance headphones should do well with the E17's very low output impedance)
Headphones that are 250-Ohms or higher should sound a little better plugged into the E09K.
Headphones in the over 100-Ohm to under 250-Ohm, both amplifiers should do the job.

To me an Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $60) would make a good combo, with the E09K

Thereby, if I have a 60-Ohms headphones, If I connect Xonar DX to E17 I would not lose in terms of sound quality to E09k?

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 14

And A follow up question. How should i Connect these two devices to get a better performance/result? (which cables?)

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 14

Thereby, if I have a 60-Ohms headphones, If I connect Xonar DX to E17 I would not lose in terms of sound quality to E09k?

If you connected the Xonar DX optically to the FiiO E17, your still using the E17's DAC chip and not the DX's.
Your really just using the Xonar DX for it's Dolby Headphone surround sound.
Sound quality wise, with 60-Ohm headphones, the E17 should provide audio quality just as good as if you where using the E09K to drive them.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #12 of 14
  And A follow up question. How should i Connect these two devices to get a better performance/result? (which cables?)

A cable to connect the Xonar DX to the E09K.
6ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5598&seq=1&format=2

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #13 of 14

If you connected the Xonar DX optically to the FiiO E17, your still using the E17's DAC chip and not the DX's.
Your really just using the Xonar DX for it's Dolby Headphone surround sound.
Sound quality wise, with 60-Ohm headphones, the E17 should provide audio quality just as good as if you where using the E09K to drive them.

DAC wise, it is understandable, but what about extra features that Xonar might provide, is it feasible or will it be just a waste of money?

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #14 of 14
  DAC wise, it is understandable, but what about extra features that Xonar might provide, is it feasible or will it be just a waste of money?

With using an optical connection to the E17, a cheaper Xonar DG ($20 to $30) or DGX ($30 to $40) would provide Dolby Headphone to the E17.
Otherwise connection the E17 optically to the motherboard's on-board audio or other sound card you might have would be good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back