xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Sep 23, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #3,676 of 3,842
hello all. I would like to ask how much the sound is delayed when using the gryphon as a bluetooth receiver? noticeable? while watching a youtube video or movie?

Bluetooth latency is largely determined by the codec and the transmitter, not the receiver. The Gryphon behaves just like any other device in that respect. If you use a lower latency codec, like aptX adaptive in game mode, it's not noticeable (to me) for video.

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #3,677 of 3,842
Bluetooth latency is largely determined by the codec and the transmitter, not the receiver. The Gryphon behaves just like any other device in that respect. If you use a lower latency codec, like aptX adaptive in game mode, it's not noticeable (to me) for video.
that's why it's not right. androidTV uses sbc codec. if I pair it with Qudelix 5k, there is no delay, if I use sr35 dapot, the sound delay is annoyingly high. and the bt tax and codecs are the same..

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #3,678 of 3,842
that's why it's not right. androidTV uses sbc codec. if I pair it with Qudelix 5k, there is no delay, if I use sr35 dapot, the sound delay is annoyingly high. and the bt tax and codecs are the same..

I'm not sure what you are saying here, but SBC is definitely not a low latency codec. Youtube (depending on your player) does try to compensate for latency but I find it to be hit or miss, sometimes ok and sometimes not...

Sep 23, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #3,679 of 3,842
The xDSD will likely be better than the "Gryphon"
Predecessor better than the successor? What is going on at iFi company then?:-/

iDSD micro Black Label
Is that true that BlackLabel has worse volume potentiometer, higher imbalance of channels than the Signature version of iDSD? I read it in few places and still do not know if black label is worth to hunt on 2nd hand market.

Zen Stack
Yup, great combo. But even GoLink with ZenCan (with 5V/6A PSU) sounds great to me.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #3,680 of 3,842
Predecessor better than the successor? What is going on at iFi company then?:-/

The reason is that the original xDSD has a much more simple signal path:

DAC -> Analog Stage -> Volume Control -> Preamp -> HP Buffer

The "Gryphon" merges the xCAN & xDSD and fails to optimise the signal path, so it goes:

DAC -> Analog Stage -> Input Switching -> Input Buffer/BAL receiver -> Volume Control -> Preamp -> HP Buffer

It could have been optimised with a shorter signal path, but that would have needed more than copy/paste "engineering".

So with the "Gryphon" you get the xDSD & xCAN in one case, with all the extra circuitry in either to make a complete product. This circuitry is unnecessary in an integrated unit. Extra and unnecessary stages of signal circuitry never improve the sound quality.

Where the "Gryphon" will be better is when driving difficult to drive headphones from the balanced output.

Is that true that BlackLabel has worse volume potentiometer, higher imbalance of channels than the Signature version of iDSD?

No, most of the time the BL was in production, iFi had a QC process in place that filtered out the outliers.

So generally BL should not have big channel imbalance. Towards the end of the production run this process fell apart and was not reimplemented. So the problem re-emerged.

What the status is with diablo/signature/finale (who all share the same volume control as the BL) I am not privy too. But given the many complaints I read... You connect the dots...

I read it in few places and still do not know if black label is worth to hunt on 2nd hand market.

Test it for channel imbalance at low volume.

What is the best choice will really depend on specific use.

Thor

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #3,681 of 3,842
As I've increased my collection of sensitive IEMs the Gryphon has started to annoy me more so - the background noise is far too strong. I'm enjoying my Andromeda's more through my Qudelix nowadays which is dead silent. There definitely some shortcut taken, this level of hiss (even when using it as line out with speakers) should not be there... White noise galore.

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #3,682 of 3,842
How does the Gryphon compare to DAPs such as the Cayin N7, N8ii, FiiO M15s and SP3000?

Is there a huge improvement in sound quality when moving to a DAP vs the Gryphon?
In the end, it always comes down to your personal sound preferences. I gave the Gryphon back because I didn't like the sound I was able to notice a noticeable improvement compared to my XCan. When comparing the XCan and the Cayin N7, I prefer the N7 because it is much more detailed, but as always that is a matter of taste.

Sep 23, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #3,683 of 3,842
As I've increased my collection of sensitive IEMs the Gryphon has started to annoy me more so - the background noise is far too strong.

Use SE out with iEMatch. The balanced output is not really suited if sensitive IEM.

The xCAN was originally designed as replacement for the 120 USD iCAN nano.

It has designed in limits on noise, that it would probably have been wise to resolve in a 600 USD product.

Thor

Sep 23, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #3,684 of 3,842
hello all. I would like to ask how much the sound is delayed when using the gryphon as a bluetooth receiver? noticeable? while watching a youtube video or movie?
I purchased the Gryphon to use mainly for TV/YouTube/movies. I was using it with an Android-based Nvidia Shield (LDAC) but have switched to my LG TV that uses it's own OS (aptX) and haven't experienced any significant delay that upsets my experience. I don't know about Android TV, but can you activate the developer settings which may open it up to more codec options?

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #3,685 of 3,842
I purchased the Gryphon to use mainly for TV/YouTube/movies. I was using it with an Android-based Nvidia Shield (LDAC) but have switched to my LG TV that uses it's own OS (aptX) and haven't experienced any significant delay that upsets my experience. I don't know about Android TV, but can you activate the developer settings which may open it up to more codec options?
where can I activate developer options?

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #3,686 of 3,842
Oct 4, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #3,687 of 3,842
Will the Gryphon have enough power to drive my HD800S?
I used to have the ifi micro IDSD and it was enough to do the job, but I seem to recall reading that the gryphon has less power .
I dont need BT, so would I be better getting another micro IDSD?

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #3,688 of 3,842
Will the Gryphon have enough power to drive my HD800S?
I used to have the ifi micro IDSD and it was enough to do the job, but I seem to recall reading that the gryphon has less power .
I dont need BT, so would I be better getting another micro IDSD?
From the balanced output it can drive your HD800S.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #3,689 of 3,842
From the balanced output it can drive your HD800S.
That would mean I would need a new cable for my HD800S but thanks for the reply

i am torn between the gryphon and the micro black label, which I used to own and stupidly let go :relaxed:

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #3,690 of 3,842
That would mean I would need a new cable for my HD800S but thanks for the reply

i am torn between the gryphon and the micro black label, which I used to own and stupidly let go :relaxed:
I haven't tested the micro black label but from what I know it has great sound quality that is slightly warm so it matches well with the 800S. So I would strongly consider it, especially if you don't care about the extra bells and whistles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back