XDUOO NANO D3 24bit/192Khz DSD256 portable DAP-Info and impressions
Jan 11, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #92 of 185
Well, I tried the 1.2 update out. Definitely a step forward. The cut-off at the beginning of tracks is fixed. Also the random crashes when pressing the menu button seem to be fixed. navigation through the menus seems a touch more responsive (still slow though). The 10+ seconds wait to select a new song is still here and doesn't seem to be improved in any manner. It's still a sluggish device, but is more usable now. I doubt they will be able to speed up the UI with the weak SoC they used - it definitely shows, especially when playing big 24bit files and skipping through them is much slower. But if they can fix the long wait for song change in the menu, it will be easier to recommend.

edit: actually, without sdcard it's relatively fine. Doesn't have that long wait anymore. A thing I just noticed is that the nano doesn't support cue files. But otherwise as I said quite usable if you use files from the internal storage. So if you're fine with just having 7.2 GB of storage and not using an sdcard the nano is not that bad now.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #93 of 185
Jan 13, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #94 of 185
Hi! Happy Old New year!
:beyersmile:
90000_original.jpg

90218_original.jpg

X2-reflected smartphone
89818_original.jpg

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #95 of 185
Just sent off the following to Xduoo support. I didn't bother listing problems still present or introduced by the firmware update. I'm just trying to see how to have it do the claimed functionality.

I have a few questions about your player.
1) The product description says that there is cue file support but I seem to be unable to get this functionality to work. What is required? Does it only work for certain types of files?
2) I have a number of FLAC files and it appears that the D3 does not read the ID tag. Is there a particular version of the tag that I should be using? Does the player read ID tags on non-mp3 files?
3) Album artwork. Sometimes it fails to display. What are the requirements for artwork? A particular file type? A maximum size? A limit of just 1 piece of art per file? Will the player display an artwork file in the same folder as music files? Does it require a special name? Which will be displayed if there is both a local file and an ID tag?

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #96 of 185
I never had planned to futz around with the internal memory of this thing. I was perfectly happy with just using the SD card. I wonder, has anyone tried connecting it to an Android device? I really don't want to have to pull out my PC just to get the firmware file into the internal memory.
Android device you mean a phone??

Hum, don't think it will work...anyway, its ultra easy, you just trow the update file in the internal memory and disconnect it securly, and close it and open it and update begin by himself.

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #97 of 185
Android device you mean a phone??

Hum, don't think it will work...anyway, its ultra easy, you just trow the update file in the internal memory and disconnect it securly, and close it and open it and update begin by himself.
Actually I used my Android tablet, an ASUS ZenPad 3S 10, and I'll follow up that it is possible. Just a bit of a PITA because all I had handy was one of those short 5" OTG micro usb to type-c cables for a portable amp. So you can imagine holding a 10" tablet one handed with a heavy enough DAP dangling from a tiny short cable and trying to use my other hand to navigate and do the xfer. Luckily the xfer is very quick because it isn't very large. I'd hate to try to fill a SD card in a similar setup. I have a SD card reader that plugs into my tablet and works quite nicely for filling up the card.

Here's what happens when I want to do something with my PC. Remove the stuff that's sitting on top of it because I don't use it that often. Hunt for and find the wall wart to power it. Find a place to plug in the wall wart. Stare at the little looping dots until eventually the PC is at the login screen. Slide my finger back and forth on the reader hoping it'll work so I don't have to type in a PIN instead. Wait some more for the desktop to appear. Hope there isn't a Windows update sitting there to be applied instead of doing what I want. Transfer the files.

That's why the Android option is less painful for me. :scream:

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #98 of 185
Hi,
I have a problem with my D3 and a request if someone would like to help test it.
It's about a pretty loud noises/cracklings that are mainly heard on 24bit hi-res files. Also on some Flac though not all of them and much quieter.
If someone would have a moment and would like to help me determine where the problem lies (my D3 or files), please download the free samples from the HDTracks website and listen. The clicks are most audible on these files. Link:
http://www.hdtracks.com/landing
This is not an ad just all my hi-res files come from HDTracks and for the test it would be best to use the same files.

Also, if someone has contact with Xduoo, I would like to ask you to submit a suggestion regarding Play Mode setting. It's about adding the "play folder" option (then stop and turn off player after the time set in Auto Power Off setting) and "repeat folder". All my music collection is arranged in folders and I know that it is not only mine and it would be great if such options were available in the software.

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #99 of 185
Just got the nano D3. is the line out supposed to be controlled by the volume control? I thought line out was just signal, but its being affected by the volume buttons. which means its being amped, or at least altering the signal. thoughts?

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #100 of 185
Just got the nano D3. is the line out supposed to be controlled by the volume control? I thought line out was just signal, but its being affected by the volume buttons. which means its being amped, or at least altering the signal. thoughts?
Well, as I said, unlike x10 the nano's line-out is not fixed. Just keep volume at max and control the volume through the amp

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #101 of 185
Well, as I said, unlike x10 the nano's line-out is not fixed. Just keep volume at max and control the volume through the amp
yes, I get that. I was/am concerned with the volume circuit interfering with the signal. we'll see how it goes as I mess with it. I just wonder why they chose to not make the line out fixed. dont really see any advantage to a non fixed line out. more of a pain really, if you want bit perfect. Assuming its a digital volume control of course.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #102 of 185
Well, it could be useful if one has very sensitive gear. xduoo probably integrated it coz it gives you more optiond and the nano doesn't have a gain switch

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #104 of 185
Call me a bit confused… I always thought an output marked line out means an output unaffected by 'user changes', ie things like volume or EQ. But you're saying that the volume control effects it. Does EQ also? Basically is it just a second headphone output or ??? :confused:

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #105 of 185
Call me a bit confused… I always thought an output marked line out means an output unaffected by 'user changes', ie things like volume or EQ. But you're saying that the volume control effects it. Does EQ also? Basically is it just a second headphone output or ??? :confused:

I can't speak to the D3, but are you possibly thinking of Digital Out? Line-Out is an analog 'line level' signal bypassing the output amp*, but depending on design could still be affected by preamp gain/volume circuits. It will also still be affected by EQ since with DAPs that is handled digitally prior to analog conversion.

AFAIK it is very unusual for LO to be affected by volume control, but if it is still a "proper" LO it is probably not a good idea to use it as a headphone output since both the voltage and output impedance can be high.

(*some DAPs without a seperate jack have a software 'LO Mode' which is usually just a fixed volume setting that still goes through the headphone amp- maybe some of those also disable the EQ?)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back