XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Apr 23, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #1,382 of 2,100
Hi Xduoo owners, I have couple of queries:

Recently I bought XD-05 from AliExpress , I found out it comes with Nexem signal relays instead of NEC, is it old batch?

Also it didn't come along with V5i op-amp. Do I need to buy it separately ?

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #1,383 of 2,100
Hi Xduoo owners, I have couple of queries:

Recently I bought XD-05 from AliExpress , I found out it comes with Nexem signal relays instead of NEC, is it old batch?

Also it didn't come along with V5i op-amp. Do I need to buy it separately ?
I don't know about the relays (I'd have to open mine up to check), but yet -- the V5i is something you buy separately. It replaces the stock OpAmp, you can get them directly from Burson.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #1,384 of 2,100
Got my coax today. Interesting and gratifying but not, perhaps, in the way you might think.
My source is a Fiio X5iii. As my gear goes up in price and ability I've been wondering if I'm at all handicapped with the X5 as a DAC. I'm sure there are better DACs out there for more money, especially if you also consider desktop units. But my setup is primarily portable, so....

So yes, the Xduoo as DAC compared to the X5: I would call it flat, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but not for me. The fiio presented with a slightly brighter top end and a resulting slightly greater width in staging. Though it's a small difference it equates to two sound signatures where I prefer one over the other by quite a bit, and I much prefer the Fiio.

This is, of course, only my opinion (man) and YMMV as always. I would add that for the price I paid for the Xduoo with the V5i-d, I am VERY happy with my purchase purely to drive my HE400i's. Also, damn, the battery lasts for AGES if used only as an amp. Spent a lot of time listening to it on Sunday and there was only one notch depleted on the battery display. Currently listening to Alison Krause and Union Station live. Stunning.

Think I'm done for purchases for a while (no, really). Three sets of headphones/iems that I love, three amps which drive each one in a way that I really enjoy. One player (with 256Gb of storage!) to source them all!

(ignore the incoming Audeze Mobius' - that doesn't count)

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,385 of 2,100
I use an external DAC as well. The internal DAC is fine for the price and worked for my previous headphones, but I found it overly warm and rolled with my Edition X. A Bifrost added some detail and shifted the XDuoo sound signature more in the direction I liked, and that's my current setup.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,386 of 2,100
I've only been using the amplification section of XD-05, with OPA 2209, since I recieved it two weeks ago. Assuming that XD-05 and M2s use the same DAC, the AK4490, I ask you about what would be the differences besides that connecting via usb the battery lasts less and it is necessary to increase the volume. What combination would be preferable for you? Thank you! Have a great day!

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #1,387 of 2,100
I don't know about the relays (I'd have to open mine up to check), but yet -- the V5i is something you buy separately. It replaces the stock OpAmp, you can get them directly from Burson.
Oh, thanks for clarify on the op-amp. So far I saw most of users here posting photos with NEC signal relays and not NEXEM, I am just wondering if I got the genuine unit.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #1,388 of 2,100
Hi, today, when I charge XD-05, the red LED keep blinking (I have turned off the amp), shouldn't the LED light to be fixed?

I am charging from USB fast charger 3.0A, and from MacBook Pro USB port, but both attempts show similar red LED blinking, what's wrong?

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #1,389 of 2,100
Hi, today, when I charge XD-05, the red LED keep blinking (I have turned off the amp), shouldn't the LED light to be fixed?

I am charging from USB fast charger 3.0A, and from MacBook Pro USB port, but both attempts show similar red LED blinking, what's wrong?

Yes, it's normal the blinking red light while charging.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #1,390 of 2,100
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #1,391 of 2,100
Oh, thanks for clarify on the op-amp. So far I saw most of users here posting photos with NEC signal relays and not NEXEM, I am just wondering if I got the genuine unit.

Replaced stocked op-amp with Burson V5i. Instantly can hear the sound difference ,wider soundstage, lovely. Low gain and Mid gain no problem, when set to high gain , after 2 sec, protect sign popped up at LCD screen.

Btw, the photo below shows NEXEM signal relays instead of NEC, anyone got the same batch ? genuine ?
20180424_213246.jpg
20180424_211315.jpg

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #1,392 of 2,100
Replaced stocked op-amp with Burson V5i. Instantly can hear the sound difference ,wider soundstage, lovely. Low gain and Mid gain no problem, when set to high gain , after 2 sec, protect sign popped up at LCD screen.

Btw, the photo below shows NEXEM signal relays instead of NEC, anyone got the same batch ? genuine ?

I'm not sure whether new or old batch uses Nexem, but what I know, Nexem was formerly known as NEC-Tokin.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #1,393 of 2,100

Just so you know, hi-gain results in protect for me as well. It's ok though, Med gain goes loud enough!
Also, Med gain to me sounds a little more detailed with only a very small increase in volume compared to Low. It's been said many times on Head-Fi that people think higher gain is more detailed, but actually what they are hearing is more overall volume. However, for me, it does seem to produce a brighter signal. One that I like very much!
I remember reading somewhere on here the idea that a higher level of gain increases the effect an amp has on sound-signature and this makes sense to me. Low gain produces a signal which is closer to the original source signal, high gain means the amp is affecting the signal more, even when volume matched - the tendencies of the amp signature show through more clearly.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,394 of 2,100
Agree . Medium gain is good enough. Personally I don't like too bright soundstage , it definitely shorten listening pleasure and easily get bored and fatigue over time .

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #1,395 of 2,100
Has anyone used the XD-05 with Andromeda? I have owned XD-05 for a while now and love it, and I have Andros coming in soon and I am curious to see how this amp pairs with it, though the low output impedance worries me a bit and I'm not sure if there will be hiss. I searched this thread and surprisingly I don't think anyone has ever mentioned trying to use Andromeda with this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back