XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
May 29, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,981 of 3,865
HI !  sorry but the critical clock is not the one in the receiving end ?  
i mean without considering reclocking dacs the interface rj45 to spdif will sets the master clock.   
I mean, with the Dante virtual software just a normal rj45 pc port or cheap ethernet adapter should be enough with the Rednet 3.
Am i wrong ?  
regards, gino 

May 29, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,982 of 3,865
HI !  sorry but the critical clock is not the one in the receiving end ?  
i mean without considering reclocking dacs the interface rj45 to spdif will sets the master clock.   
I mean, with the Dante virtual software just a normal rj45 pc port or cheap ethernet adapter should be enough with the Rednet 3.
Am i wrong ?  
regards, gino 

Yes you are right, but is a $1000 PCIe card, not cheap. Just a look at what clocking the RD3 might have. You can use a
PCIe NIC, but on a newer PC the built in Ethernet should be fine. I have read that Intel improved the GB LAN performance in the Haswell chipset.

And kinda funny looking for a GB Intel card that works with WIN10, without needing drivers, couldn't find any at a reasonable cost.

May 29, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #1,983 of 3,865

Yes you are right, but is a $1000 PCIe card, not cheap.   Just a look at what clocking the RD3 might have. 

Hi and thanks and sorry but i have not understood.
I was thinking that using the DVS software only the RD3 is really needed.   Am i wrong ?
Any ethernet port on the bus or on a cheap pcie card can be connected with the RD3 

You can use a PCIe NIC, but on a newer PC the built in Ethernet should be fine.  I have read that Intel improved the GB LAN performance in the Haswell chipset.    
And kinda funny looking for a GB Intel card that works with WIN10, without needing drivers, couldn't find any at a reasonable cost.

You  mean something like this ... quite cheap indeed. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Gigabit-Dual-PORT-GIGABIT-ETHERNET-PCIe-NIC-Card-EXPI9402PT-NC360T-/171993184025?hash=item280b97b719:g:cc4AAOSwwbdWQZJs

Regards,  gino 

May 29, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,984 of 3,865

There is nothing about AES67 that equals USB or that DNLA 'solution' either.  Haven't read much of this thread have you.

And well the fact you're using the flawed DNLA/UpNP speaks volumes. 

The fact that a higher std CAT6 might out perform a CAT5 - is not surprising.  If you're using a CAT6e or CAT 7 STP cable well - you have no galvanic isolation - without adding in your ethernet isolator.  You create the problem that you then need to solve.  Makes little sense.  What so you can have some macho over engineered 1/2 pound metal rj45 connector?  Design for +2G lateral acceleration - like the intona?

Oh to then to use a USB device after the microrendu is even more insanity.  Take galvanicaly isolated ethernet - galvanicaly couple it - to now have to add a galvanic isolator to then run to USB device that then needs that bauky Intona to again galvanicaly isolate it is nuts.  All to be trapped into having to use a UpNP player.

Next....

There is no standard like CAT6e only CAT6a. And it could be UTP (not shielded) - so there is inherent galvanic isolation

May 29, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,986 of 3,865

There is no standard like CAT6e only CAT6a. And it could be UTP (not shielded) - so there is inherent galvanic isolation

I think he refers to these 'audiophile' stp CAT6 cables with the mega metal shielding. The the shielding re-introduces galvanic issues - so then he needs to add an expensive etherrnet galvanic isolator.

This is all just 10GB LAN overkill.  Typical audio-nervousa.

http://www.katerno.com/detail/s/661687/p/C7OS-114BK/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKEAjwpqq6BRC99aKUkaSjuDsSJAC0pNTV_1TyfYSPA5OAl_iKTX9p3Exl5A8uDnG1XWM2MZRzdxoC7iPw_wcB

May 29, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,988 of 3,865

Hi and thanks and sorry but i have not understood.
I was thinking that using the DVS software only the RD3 is really needed.   Am i wrong ?
Any ethernet port on the bus or on a cheap pcie card can be connected with the RD3 

You  mean something like this ... quite cheap indeed. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Gigabit-Dual-PORT-GIGABIT-ETHERNET-PCIe-NIC-Card-EXPI9402PT-NC360T-/171993184025?hash=item280b97b719:g:cc4AAOSwwbdWQZJs

Regards,  gino 

No none of these are needed just the existing rj45 ethernet port on your PC (where you connect to the internet).

May 29, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #1,991 of 3,865
Interesting discussion on Roon RATT  vs AES67  - anybody feel like paying $500 for their software player alone?  Or $120 a yr for life - per machine?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/audio-over-ip-the-coming-wave-the-aes67-and-avb-ethernet-protocols-usher-in-a-new-age-of-computer-audio/45

OP proposed this closed system as better then the open player choice DANTE or Ravenna - AOIP solution.

From http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/06/roon-review-part-1-walking-on-the/

Users observing Roon pricing against the backdrop of software like Amarra and J Play might baulk at its US$119 annual fee but remember, it’s not just a software player in the traditional sense. A lifetime membership is available for the one-time hit of US$499. If wish to dip your toe in the water before commiting you have to on the ball. A 14-day trial is available but not until you’ve forked over your credit card details. If you don’t opt-out within those 14 days your card gets charged for the first. Annoyingly, opt-out must be done via email. I suspect we’ll soon see some changes to the way Roon Labs handles its financial side.​

Really you have to be kidding me?  $500 for a software player - that's almost what I paid for the REDNET 3...delusional.

Even JRiver MediaCenter is only $49 for a lifetime license.

I have a $120 Asus 10inch tablet that I cruz the internet when not reading a book, when listening in my main room.  Do I need to pay $120/mth to have liner notes - if I want to read about an artist I just look them up on Wiki - way more links and information then Roon meta data.  Plus I can read Headfi instead (which I mostly do), or 6Moons, or DAR, or Tone, or Stereophile, or Computer Audiophile, or...you get the idea.

I predict this Roon -RATT going the way of Squeezebox, Sooloos, etc...

May 30, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,993 of 3,865
Sorry Alex you are wrong.  I never said that multiple chip configuration could not exceed 96k, just that my DAC60 could not.

Don't put words in my mouth.  That is pretend to correct something I never said.

The PCM1704 in a single chip per channel configuration is limited to 24 bit 96kHz.  Now like any DAC chip it can be configured into multi-chip higher data rate.  But that is a completely different implementation.

Sorry Rob, but you are quite incorrect! My single PCM1704K (per channel) DAC has no trouble running at 384Khz, and with a proper USB>I2S board I'd run it at 768Khz. Multi-chip configurations do nothing for increasing sample rate capability.

May 30, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #1,994 of 3,865
No none of these are needed just the existing rj45 ethernet port on your PC (where you connect to the internet).

Hi and thanks again !
So what is really needed is a bridge unit from rj45 to spdif.
Something like this one

https://us.focusrite.com/ethernet-audio-interfaces/rednet-6

what is MADI ? is spdif compatible maybe ?
argh ...  2100 USD ...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RedNet6

After some listening i have changed my mind.  I am sure i could live perfectly well also with coax spdif.
I am not very much in high rez or dsd.
i will wait for a medium price interface.
Thanks a lot again
Have a nice day,   gino

May 30, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #1,995 of 3,865

Really you have to be kidding me?  $500 for a software player - that's almost what I paid for the REDNET 3...delusional.

Even JRiver MediaCenter is only $49 for a lifetime license.

I have a $120 Asus 10inch tablet that I cruz the internet when not reading a book, when listening in my main room.  Do I need to pay $120/mth to have liner notes - if I want to read about an artist I just look them up on Wiki - way more links and information then Roon meta data.  Plus I can read Headfi instead (which I mostly do), or 6Moons, or DAR, or Tone, or Stereophile, or Computer Audiophile, or...you get the idea.

I predict this Roon -RATT going the way of Squeezebox, Sooloos, etc...

The price is in cuckoo land!

I don't get why some people seem to obsess that all servers MUST HAVE Roon functionality to be viable.

Select track > add to queue > LISTEN to music (in sublime SQ)... is the only functionality I must have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back