Xonar Essence STX: Clicking Noise when switching mode
Jan 29, 2010 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dL.

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I just picked up the Essence STX. When I switch mode between 2 channel to headphone (Analog out), theres this clicking noise inside my case. Is this normal? If not, what is the problem? I have already connected external power to the sound card.

dL

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 7
That is normal. You are hearing the relays re-routing the circuit.
You can test it by going into the recording panel and swicthing betweem mic or line in.
Again, you will hear a click. When you boot the card you shoudl also hear it clicking.
As the card is setting the I/O as you have configured in the drivers.
Perfectly normal and it gets asked every so often as it is common on Xonar cards.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 7
Oh ok! Thanks a lot ROBSCIX for your quick reply.

I am really satisfied with this card. I almost purchased the Auzentech Bravura but decided to just spend a bit more and get this instead since I see many Head-Fiers have this and love it.

Sometimes I think there's too many details now, especially on the treble. Is there burn-in for headphone amps? If so, how?

dL

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 7
New sources always take awhile to get used to. A soundcards cannot produce more detail that what was originally recorded. Just the sources you were using previously may have been hiding or washing out much of the detail.

Make sure you have the headphones amplifier set properly for your headphones.
Some have done this and then complain the card sounds loud....well yeah! -too much gain!
If your cans do not require extra amplification you can also use the line out which is a bit higher quality then the headphones output. Some suggest there is burn in for any amplifier tyoe IC and others say no.
There are some that just say it is your ears/brain getting used to the new signature.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 7
Few more questions:

- Line out (RCA I am assuming?) has the OPAMP headphone chip as well as the Headphone out?
- Front panel audio - will it also have the headphone opamp benefit? Any difference plugging to the back's RCA / 1/4" vs the front's 3.5mm?

dL

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 7
The headphone output use the two JRC2214D opamps and the headphone amplifier chips.
The line outs (RCA's) use all three opamps.
The front panel heapdphone output sound exactly the same as the rear output as it is the same output. Look and asl in teh main STX thread about opamps changes and you will get some good informaiton for those who own the cards and are swpping opamps.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Sorry to bump this old thread, is it normal to hear popping sound when changing from speakers to headphones (output) with Xonar STX?

This happens only if speakers are turn up a bit and its not the click which is described n the OP. I have Adam A7x active monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back