Yamaha HS5 and music listening.
Nov 1, 2021 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Egobrain

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I 've been a Yamaha HS5 owner for almost a year now. Currently running them through a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. When I purchased these studio monitors my main purpose was producing and mixing some music. Lately I've been listening to a lot of digital stuff at my computer station through the Yamaha's (I have an Hi-Fi listening chain for my CD's and vinyls in another space of the house) but I'm afraid I made a big mistake getting the HS5 instead of a more "colored" and "fun" studio monitor (Kali LP 6 maybe?). I do appreciate the sound clarity of the HS5 and their general attitude but I'm wondering I might have picked some better speakers able to satisfy my listening experience as well. Unfortunately, back in the days I wasn't expecting I would've been listening to this amount of digit. music in my "work station" since I had a dedicated analogue system for that and I only streamed music through my DAC + JDS ATOM and Sonata HD Pro.

The matter is: should I get some new speakers? I really don't want to "devalue" my HS5 and get rid of them after only a year with me. Maybe a good external DAC might help in terms of sound quality? One thing for sure is that I'm going to upgrade my audio interface from the Scarlett to an Audient Id14, let's see what happens. Upgrading to Kali or JBL could really mean an improvement in terms of listening experience? Or should I just get accostumed to my Yamahas? Are they any good for home listening?

Any advice is very much appreciated guys! Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back