Yamaha YH-5000SE : mini review
Feb 24, 2023 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Date posted : 2-24:2023

2-26 Slightly revised after some burn in (about 6 hrs).

This review is the initial assessment, right out of the box, first listen & impression.

Only the Leather Pads were used during this evaluation.

Dac-Amp is the FiiO K9 Pro.
Later i'll use the Topping E 70 Velvet.

Box : Its a nice unboxing. Decent Box, nice Tri-Level display inside. Yammy spent the money on the design and engineering and headphone parts, and not on the box.

2 Cables. Nice Quality and very pliable. They feel good and they have a nice secure "click" when attached.

Pads. (2). Leather and Fabric

Build Quality of the 5000SE : They are a impressively built yet very light set of headphones. The Gear, overall, feels both delicate and solid.

Cups , Leather, are comfy. Headband is well designed and comfortable. Cups are easily adjustable and don't travel once you find the sweet spot. Just set it and forget it.

Id rate the comfort level of this gear at a solid : 9+

Aesthetic Design : Tesla Retro

------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, first of all, let me tell you about the FR of these Yammy's regarding what seems to not be clearly stated online, as of today's date..2-24-2023

1) They have nice Low End.

They have nice bass, and they are not "Asian Audiophile" hyper bright as i define it, as you find with the better Audio Technica headphones, like the ADX-5000, which is a set i like.

What do they sound like ???

They sound exactly like no Planar i've ever heard. They have a decidedly analog tone yet produce a lot of detail and supreme clarity.
Analog sounding gear, is a decidedly sweeter richer darker sound as compared to digital. The 5000SE is a analog "type" sounding set of Planar headphones that also produce amazing clarity.
The bonding between frequencies produced by these Yammys' is very cohesive and very unlike the way digital sound separates everything into isolation and parts, which is the obvious bane of a lot of Flagship Planar's.
The sonics found inside the 5000SE Cup(s) is so clear, with impressive detail retrieval. Its a sonically refined sound, somewhat intoxicating, and very musical. It is not dry.
The 5000SE's sound is without a doubt, a legit Flagship sound.
This Yammy has been carefully sonically refined , and offers plenty of resolution and allows your ears to penetrate deep inside the music.

1.) Treble :

Detailed, clean. and quite extended.
Mid-Upper Treble has a slight factory EQ'd sprinkling of extra presence dialed in.

2.) Midrange :

Never forward, fairly intimate , layered. and quite revealing. I detect an upper mid spice that clarifies vocals and adds some intensity to percussion.

3.) Upper Bass :

Some richness/fullness dialed in, and no obvious recession at all.

4.) Bass

Nice Sub reach, full and rich, and goes deep.

5.) Instrument Separation :

Nice, but the Yammy never makes the anti-musical mistake that a lot of Flagships make, by disassemble the music into parts and pieces in a clinical fashion.. So, once again that is their analog/musical/speaker like aspect im hearing regarding how the 5000 SE's present sound.
They play nice with every genre` ive tried.. They really reproduce a truthful musical experience loaded with dynamics.

6.) Soundstage :

Its good. It's interesting, as its both immersive and intimate.
The YH-5000's offer a nice defined center, as well as nice L<>R Extension.
SS Depth is good.

7.) Hearing it.

And here is the mystery, as this unique Yammy does not sound like anything but itself.
The tone of the Yammy is refined yet detailed. Its an all day and night listening experience, Burn in will open up the Yammy's sound into all its sonic glory, whereby the middle will widen, and both ends will extend, given power and time.
Right out of the box, you can tell this Flagship Yammy is a sonic Butterfly whose wings will stretch as burn in continues.
Absolutely.

Final initial analysis:.

The Yammy offers a unique Flagship sound, its a very well designed. its uniquely beautiful to see in person, and quite expensive to own.
Flagships are like that.
The Yammy's do not deliver a clinical sound. You wont get a dry sound. You wont get a annoyingly hyper detailed sound, tho there is plenty of detail.. No annoying Mid forward found here.....You will not get a Audeze, Hifiman, or Shure sound. You will definitely not get an E-Stat sound.
This TELSA styled Yammy Gear is not an essentially bright or thin sounding set of headphones as its core FR.
This cool Yammy's Timbre is one of those individualized unique sonic statements.. and its sound will allow you to meld right into a movie soundtrack or your Favorite Tunes using Tidal or your high rez file collection.

Below, are 2 videos that i always use to evaluate a new set of gear, as good headphones play both videos very well.
Both are well recorded, and really allow you to evaluate guitar, cymbals, vocals, drums, keys, and bass......in a way that is easy to analyze.
Both songs will show you if your headphones are bass light or if they are bass dominate.
The Yammy plays both songs with beauty and refinement, not just detail analysis, yet detail retrieval is outstanding.
All the instruments sound authentic.
The Yammy's provide very good instrument separation and nice soundstage, but, the sound most of all.... is just so musical., as that is this Yammy's Forte..

-

-
-

-
-
DSC00335.JPG
DSC00336.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 5
Nice impression man.

Seems like the new Yamaha still use the house sound of their old ortho, which is great!

Thank you.

I have no idea if the new Yammy has the old Yammy Ortho sound.
Its new driver Tek, and im sure the new Mag frame is engineered to work precisely with the new pads and new driver to produce what Yamaha believe and state is their Proud New Flagship Gear's Sound.
Its very good.

I noted that a lot of online chat commentary coming out of Asia seems to find the gear needing more bass.
I can't even relate to those comments, as this MIJapan gear has plenty of bass. And the cups are open and they are not big cups..and yet the low end has some authority.
Dance music that has Fat Synth Sounds and a lot of Kick drum....... you'll know it inside the YH-5000s.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 5
Minor update.

This Yammy gear is going to get a lot of good reviews., including mine.
I also modified my review a bit.

Also, Ive now listened to both sets of included pads.
The Factory installed Leather, allows the gear gives you its best sound all around.
The Cloth pads slightly dampen the 7-12 kHz region, lowering the overall Treble energy.
The perception of the Bass is now increased, only because the Treble is slightly dampened by the Cloth pads.
The Actual level of the Bass remains unchanged.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 5
10hr burn in update.

3-2-2023

As this Yammy gear has continued to (burn in) improve, sound wise, my appreciation for this Flagship gear has doubled.

The sound.....the way its presented is ....... "Panoramic View".

There is also a perceived weightiness added to well recorded music, that makes this gear one of a kind.

This Yammy is special.

I read Major-HIFI's review and they had a similar experience when listening.
Currawong will have the same.
And Anyone who understands great sound in cups, is going to really enjoy this set of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back