Yarra Speaker System
Feb 23, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #286 of 291
I also wanted to ask you if your right if I select Dolby Atmos for headphones and and then select output as Bitstream Dolby Digital will I still experience Dolby Atmos in higher quality than PCM
Sort for my confusion would appreciate you explaining in more detail about these options
Thanks

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #287 of 291
Thanks for your advice and I will read up your previous posts
However I am rather confused about your comments about HRTF only being available when using Dolby Digital output have checked this a number of times and found that HDMI output to Yarra is PCM as no blue light on Yarra only green which I understood was it wasn't activating Dolby Digital
I set my Xbox One S to output as Atmos headphone using HDMI looking at app on my iPhone selected HTRF 8
Can you possibly explain why this option was still available using PCM output as the settings on my Xbox for Dolby Digital were greyed out
Also can you possibly share your recommended graphic equaliser setting
Many thanks as I feel there is untapped potential I want to unlock with better graphic equaliser settings
I either go with a flat EQ or Stefan’s EQ which he shared on several forums such as AVS. you’ve probably come across those settings already.

Re HRTF, haven’t updated the Yarra in a couple of months. It’s possible that Firmware updates since have enabled HRTF selection for PCM input Which was previously not the case and specified accordingly in official documentation.

Alternatively you may have your Xbox set to bitstream Dolby digital without realising. When you activate / tick the Atmos for headphone box it greys everything else out. Whether Atmos for headphone is sent in PCM or Dolby Digital form depends on what the last / most recent non-Atmos for headphone / Windows Sonic output setting was prior to activation.

If nonetheless, you are still getting the green PCM input light and are able to choose HRTF models with a noticeable change in sound then I guess they must have updated it since but yours is the first post I have seen across multiple forums to mention being able to choose HRTF with PCM.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #288 of 291
Can I also ask you I noticed when I go in settings on my Xbox One S and chose and select Dolby Atmos headphones HDMI all Bitstream out is greyed out
Are you saying that it is possible to activate Dolby Atmos and Bitstream output asxDolby Digital
Can you please explain how

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #289 of 291
I either go with a flat EQ or Stefan’s EQ which he shared on several forums such as AVS. you’ve probably come across those settings already.

Re HRTF, haven’t updated the Yarra in a couple of months. It’s possible that Firmware updates since have enabled HRTF selection for PCM input Which was previously not the case and specified accordingly in official documentation.

Alternatively you may have your Xbox set to bitstream Dolby digital without realising. When you activate / tick the Atmos for headphone box it greys everything else out. Whether Atmos for headphone is sent in PCM or Dolby Digital form depends on what the last / most recent non-Atmos for headphone / Windows Sonic output setting was prior to activation.

If nonetheless, you are still getting the green PCM input light and are able to choose HRTF models with a noticeable change in sound then I guess they must have updated it since but yours is the first post I have seen across multiple forums to mention being able to choose HRTF with PCM.
Hi would it be possible if you could share Stefan the bass eq settings as I am unable to find ,and eant to see if his eq makes substantial change on mine
Certainly flat doesn't work for me
Thanks

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #290 of 291
Untick the box entitled “using HDMI or optical audio headset”. Then in the HDMI drop down box (or optical, which ever you are using) under “speaker audio”, select bitstream out. Beneath that select Dolby digital as bitstream format.
This sets your primary output config for games and streaming apps (Bluray app has its own settings though) and determines what form your Atmos for headphone will take (Dolby digital or PCM). Now re-tick the “using hdmi or optical audio headset” box to apply Atmos for headphone. - Whatever your last set primary output config was is what Atmos for headphone is applied to when you re-tick the Atmos box.

However it should be noted that for Xbox at least, there isn’t much point in feeding the Yarra Atmos for headphones unless applied to actual discrete speaker configuration Atmos content such as a Bluray track or Netflix title or at least one of the rare games that actually has a discrete Atmos soundtrack intended for speakers.

For standard non-Atmos 5.1 and 7.1 content, better just to bitstream Dolby digital as is with no Atmos for headphone application.

Same for *pre-mixed* Atmos headphone content such as a mix built into a game’s audio settings (e.g. Overwatch) or pre-binauralised audio files or Streaming content (for example, Virtual Barber’s Shop or any of the Dolby surround demos on Youtube), best to have the Xbox transcode to vanilla Dolby Digital, forgo setting Atmos for headphone, and just let the Yarra take it from there.
In effect you are double binauralising by applying Yarra’s surround mode to already binaural content, but that is necessary in this instance, it’s just how the Yarra reproduces surround in that context. However, if you then proceed to apply Atmos for headphone on top of the same content then you will be double binauralising already binauralised content - in effect, triple binauralisation (once at mixing / recording as the track is already binaural, a second time by applying Atmos for headphone, and then a third time by engaging Yarra’s surround mode), which will compromise accuracy and quality so best avoided.

Re audio quality, if you are not using the Yarra’s surround function on binaural content or are just applying the surround mode to vanilla non-binaural stereo then PCM is better. But if you are using the surround mode to upmix a pre-binauralised 2 channel stereo feed, in my experience it is better to send it to the Yarra as Dolby Digital rather than PCM in terms of audio presentation. See my earlier posts for more details.

I don’t have Stefan’s settings to hand. I suggest you search post by his user name (Stefanthebass) on here and on the Avforums and AVSForum thread.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #291 of 291
Looking at images of the Demos when they pitched this product the source was an Xbox I guess a shame the guys who developed this product didn’t tell us about this
I think that when they demoed Yarra 3DX at various AV events they used a Smith Research Realiser A8 as a source and not an Xbox. SR Realiser A8 is capable of decoding more AV formats than Yarra 3DX, which is limited to Dolby Digital 5.1 only.

Unfortunately, I haven’t got an Xbox device to use it in conjunction with my Yarra 3DX and as I’m not a passionate gamer I’m not going to buy one. I look forward to receiving my SR Realiser A16 and I’m moderately optimistic that a combo between it and Yarra 3DX might be useful for listening without headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back