Yet another Little Dot MkVI amp review ....
May 19, 2009 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

glitch39

1000+ Head-Fier
So I took the plunge….

I was very happy with my Extreme but I could just not get the thought of going balanced out of my head. My cans are HD650, which everyone says respond nicely to balanced configuration. My DAC already has true balanced output. So I figured “why not?”….

First a quick background…. Why the LD VI and not other balanced amps:

First, I’m tube guy. So that basically eliminates SS amps.

Second is the tube complement and overall design. I have heard EL84, miniature 9-pin and 6080-type tube amps. True, it’s all dependent on the design and execution, but overall, my experience is best with 6080-type amps. See Skylab’s review …. Also, the LD VI looks great from all the pics and reviews that I have read.

Third is price. It is undeniably very attractive at $700 (plus shipping based on location).

Fourth is customer service. LD has one of the best in the industry, local companies included. Great communication ALWAYS. There have been concerns from others with sending the amp back. Fortunately for me, the issues have been almost zero. On occasions where there was an issue, David has contacted a local outfit for me to check out the amp. Keep in my mind that this is my 4th amp from David so we go way back. Plus, I’ve always asked David nicely…
smily_headphones1.gif

Build and QA

Out of the box, this thing is HEAVY. Very solid and the majority of the weight is coming from the transformers – a very good thing in my book. All connectors, switch and knob seem to be in good shape. It was well packed. I opened the bottom cover to verify the gain setting, which was correctly set to low. All solder look intact and well made. The bias meters work. Fit and finish is very professional, as good as Woo and SP in my opinion. If I am to make a guess, it’s made from a different factory than the rest of the LD line, just because of the impressive QA and detail given to it.

The amp that I got is the latest rev so it has the quiet fan, updated transformer to handle 120v lines in the US and additional heatsink. See stock pic below.

Silver%20Rear.jpg

Score : 9/10. As with most scoring standards, you’ve got to leave some room for improvement. Otherwise, this category would have been perfect.

Start-up Impressions

Checked and double checked all connections. Turned on the amp and waited for the amp to pre-heat the tubes and after a minute or so, both bias gauges are now lit and showed equal readings.

The updated Glacial-Tech fans are very quiet. A very small mechanical sound from the fans can be heard in a quiet room if I place my ears 6 inches or less from amp. I listen a few feet from the amp so noise is non-existent. Plus I would not dare come that close to the amp when the tubes are lit – they generate a lot heat.

The amp chassis gets warm during use but not much. I can certainly touch it without concern about burning myself.

I like the 4-pin XLR headphone connection. It’s easier to handle the connector and more lightweight overall as opposed to two 3-pin XLRs.

Others have noted that they would not buy and amp that has active cooling. IMO, active cooling keeps the overall interior of the amp cooler which will improve the life of internal components. As long as the active cooling system does not get in the way of enjoying the music at any volume, I’m all for it.

Score: 8/10. Perhaps LD can put a fan speed control switch so when ambient temps are really low (like during winter), I can put the fans’ RPMs even lower.

Initial Sound Impressions

My setup: Transport to a zapfiltered Zhaolu then to rewired HD650’s. The zapfilter board has true balanced outputs and I added XLR connectors to my Zhaolu case. I used stock Sennheiser cable rewired for 4-pin XLR.

As noted by other users before me: only by having a fully balanced source can you get the most out of a balanced amplifier. Balanced configuration does not disappoint. I expected huge soundstage and got it. Excellent instrument separation and layering are a good terms to describe the sound. I can clearly distinguish instrument placements within the well-defined soundstage. With classical music, it just blows me away.

Score: 9/10. If there is one word to describe this amp it’s NEUTRAL. No bloomy syrupy sound nor booming bass.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this amp. Starting with the great sales experience, good build and satisfying sound, I am hooked.

However, I cannot leave things well alone enough so tube rolling begins….

May 19, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 57
If there is one generalization you can make about tube rolling:

“ … tubes that work best on amp x may not sound good on amp y….”

The power tubes ....

This is so true of the LD VI. I gave it 100 hours of burn-in. I later came to the conclusion that the 6080 was not good enough. Sure, it gave huge soundstage and great mids, but for the genre that I listen to, it’s not the best all-rounder. If I only listened to classical, then these would have stayed without doubt.

I rolled in 5998’s based on other users’ comments. and realized that it was too lush. Way back when I had my Woo and DV, 5998’s were best. But on the LD VI, the lushness was there but bass is lacking. So out they went.

Then I tried RCA 6AS7G. Wow! Now I’m getting what I was looking for. Just the right combination of bass, soundstage and lushness. Nice……
smily_headphones1.gif

I did not get a chance to roll in Tung Sol 7236's - could not find a matched quad at that time. I do know they are bass monsters....

I then moved on to the gain tubes….

The default Russian 6H9’s treble was too brittle IMO. It’s not harsh by any means, but it does not do the rest of the amp justice. So out it went.

I had 6C8G adapters at that time so I replaced the gain tubes with Raytheon 6C8G’s. I was initially concerned about the gain difference but with the amp this powerful, it did not matter. There was huge improvement on vocals but the highs were recessed. Also, the combo was a bit microphonic overall.

I then tried out with Tungsol 6SU7GT’s and the improvement was huge. With RCA 6AS7 power tubes, this combo gave the tube magic that I’ve been looking for.

And I thought I was done…..

Any experienced 6AS7G tube roller will tell you that 6AS7G’s like current. So I had a thought of using 6SN7s for the gain stage. I sent David an email and asked if the transformer is able to handle the additional current load. The answer was a resounding “YES”. He also noted that even though the gain on 6SN7 is much less, the overall output is still adequate to handle the cans. Hurray!!!!

So I pulled out my stash of 6SN7’s. I used the following matched pairs:

GE 6SN7GTA, GE 6SN7GTB, RCA 6SN7GT (both clear and smoked glass), Tungsol 6SN7GT, Sylvania Bad Boys and Ken Rad VT-231. I even tried 6F8G and 7N7's. All were a step above the 6SL7 variants that I’ve tried. Now this is getting exciting….

The sound volume decreased a bit but the amp never ran out of steam. From the 2.5 mark on the potentiometer, I went to 3 to get the same volume. David was right. The amp's gain switch remained on "low".

In the end, I settled on matched RCA black plate 6AS7G’s and Raytheon VT-231, which gave me all the elements I was looking. And I did not have to spend over $1K for an amp to get the sound that I want.

And with the possibility of using 6SN7 type gain tubes, the possible combination is limitless.

May 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 57
Love the review G !

I'm dying to try this puppy out.

Peete.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 57
Hello Glitch39,
Your review is wonderful.
I had buy a powerful MKVI also.
The 4 Raytheon 6080 have a powerful sound, rich, ultrabass controlled, beautiful med, and high rounded.

I would try tube rolling on pre, 6h9c. So I Know how to do.
Thanks to You.

I confirmed score. Great quality, great design, great sound.

For the moment I balance my source cd, with Calcell CPZ-11.
In the near future, I would try LD DAC 1, and new LD MK VII.

David is a great person, ever present for all question.

Best regards.
Carlo.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by nlaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this have a transformer output?

nope, the MKVI is OTL

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 57
Glitch,

Your other amp was a SinglePower Extreme, is that correct? Stock, modified?
Is this combo better?
Any experience with balanced K701?

Lots of questions...
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 57
I had the SP Extreme prior to this. They are not really apples for apples. even listening impressions are not the comparable. however:

on paper, the VI makes way more power.
soundstage is way, way bigger on the VI. but that is to be expected on most balanced set ups.
the VI is very neutral. If you love the bloomy tubey sound, then the VI will be too sterile for you

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 57
Finally took the plunge and bought one too along with the LD DAC as a balanced source and sets of RCA 6AS7G’s and Raytheon 6SN7GT's. I already have the LD MKIV SE and a Zero dac w/ upgraded opamps and descrete module for the dac but the balance bug bit. This site is so damn evil.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 57
I look forward to your impressions, dylan! This amp really is lightyears ahead of its pricepoint (thank you Chinese labor + company with a small profit margin!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back