You ever have those special moments...
Jul 24, 2001 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4
... listening to a particular performance on your system you've heard many times, but, for some reason, it just strikes you as particularly remarkable at that moment? I'm having one of those moments now, listening to Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor on SACD, performed by Arcadi Volodos (on piano) and the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by James Levine.

This is a very powerful performance -- certainly among the best I've heard of Rach's 3. In terms of recording quality, it is the best I've heard of Rach's 3 without question -- the dynamics are explosive (so much so that I can't believe some of the more energetic peaks come through without any recording clipping or distortion -- it's very "live' in its presence that way).

The headphones I'm using now are my Sennheiser HD-600's, and I am in awe of what I'm hearing.

Jul 24, 2001 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 4
Lately. . . Just about everytime I listen to the new rig, i am having one of those "moments"
smily_headphones1.gif
Now, if my girlfriend and I could share one of those moments
wink.gif
Just kidding, glad to hear you are enjoying those sacd's jude, i'm still discovering just how good redbook can be!

Jul 24, 2001 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 4
I have the same feelings with chopin... The humble feeling of being in the presence of something so exquisite.

Rachmaninoffs 3rd is trully excellent. Have you heard Emanuel Ax play it?? He gives quite a performance although it sounds as if it my be a bit more laid back than the one you described.

I also have a recording of Rachmanioff playing it... The recording quality is pretty bad considering the time period, but still very interesting to hear how the man himself played it.

Jul 26, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 4
When the music, performence, and sound come together, everything outside of the headphones seem to fade away. I don't think it's the thought of being in the artist's head that makes it so attractive.. but rather being part of the sound itself!

I have a cheap CD set of most of the Rach. Piano Concertos, but they don't really move me. I think I'll see if the recording you have is on redbook, and try that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back