Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Dec 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #6,136 of 6,671
You can still get the AP pressing...you just gotta buy the Bill Evans box. $600.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yikes, I think I would indeed have to pass on such an expense. I'd rather invest into a better turntable first.
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #6,137 of 6,671

You can still get the AP pressing...you just gotta buy the Bill Evans box. $600.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yikes, I think I would indeed have to pass on such an expense. I'd rather invest into a better turntable first.
wink.gif

As much as I love Waltz for Debby, I think I'll pass too, thanks. I'm quite satisfied with my Analogue Productions SACD.

I'm posting my latest music acquisitions out of the way before all the Xmas stuff roll in.

McCoy Tyner - Sahara [Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab limited, numbered half-speed mastered LP #774/2000]

Any John Coltrane fan is undoubtedly familiar with McCoy Tyner. This is a great solo album from him which sadly seems quite overlooked for I've seldom seen it mentioned in jazz related discussions. I highly recommend checking it out.

Kayo Dot - Hubardo [limited black 3LP]
https://kayodot.bandcamp.com/album/hubardo

I don't know if there are going to be any more pressings, but at least the first pressing of the black vinyl is limited to 200 and as I type this only one remains unsold. If you have an interest in the LP you might still have a chance to grab a copy if you're quick.

John Coltrane - The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings [4 CDs]

John Coltrane - One Down, One Up: Live at the Half Note [2 CDs]

As a huge, and I mean HUGE John Coltrane fan (he is my favorite musician of all time), these two live albums have been missing from my Coltrane collection for far too long. But no more.

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #6,139 of 6,671
I'm planning on getting that box soon. I love everything in it and it'll all be top notch.

22 LPs of Jazz bliss.

I have most of the albums in the box set, but must confess only the Village Vanguard recordings have clicked with me so far. Will need to invest some more time into Bill Evans at some point.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #6,140 of 6,671
First item is a CD, the others are purchases from the iTunes Store.

Patricia Barber - Nightclub (Premonition Aluminum CD)

Andrew Hale; Simon Hale; Fly; Claudia Brucken - L.A. Noire Official Soundtrack

Blue Mitchell - Blue's Moods

Tomoyuki Sakakida - Setakamuy

Shingo Nakamura - Khafre/Perception

Quote:

McCoy Tyner - Sahara [Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab limited, numbered half-speed mastered LP #774/2000]

Any John Coltrane fan is undoubtedly familiar with McCoy Tyner. This is a great solo album from him which sadly seems quite overlooked for I've seldom seen it mentioned in jazz related discussions. I highly recommend checking it out.

Just listening to Tyner now, and I am really digging his tunes after a second listen. I think I am going to place on order on the vinyl myself in the next few days. I almost used one of my iTunes gift cards to buy the album but I am intrigued on what the MoFi version would bring to the table.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #6,141 of 6,671

Tomoyuki Sakakida - Setakamuy

Quote:

Just listening to Tyner now, and I am really digging his tunes after a second listen. I think I am going to place on order on the vinyl myself in the next few days. I almost used one of my iTunes gift cards to buy the album but I am intrigued on what the MoFi version would bring to the table.

I will need to check out Setakamuy as I've enjoyed what little what I've heard of Tomoyuki Sakakida's work. Also, interested to hear the y0c1e remix.

The MoFi is the only version I've heard of the album, but I doubt you'll be disappointed if you do pick up the LP.

Edit:
Otographic Music has released a free 4-track EP consisting of unreleased tracks as an Xmas gift. It includes for example an older version of one of Shingo Nakamura's tunes and a new track by Tomoyuki Sakakida.

http://soundcloud.com/otographicmusic/sets/xmas2013

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #6,142 of 6,671
  I will need to check out Setakamuy as I've enjoyed what little what I've heard of Tomoyuki Sakakida's work. Also, interested to hear the y0c1e remix.

The MoFi is the only version I've heard of the album, but I doubt you'll be disappointed if you do pick up the LP.

Edit:
Otographic Music has released a free 4-track EP consisting of unreleased tracks as an Xmas gift. It includes for example an older version of one of Shingo Nakamura's tunes and a new track by Tomoyuki Sakakida.

http://soundcloud.com/otographicmusic/sets/xmas2013

Setakamuy is a phenomenal artist and the music he produces is both rich and enchanting. I was very surprised to see some more work of y0c1e on this album in particular. It was perhaps an additional reason for investing into the album.

On another note, thanks for sharing that wonderful gift from Otographic Music. It even has a Nhato remix which I am inclined to hear.
dt880smile.png

New purchase:

Oscar Peterson - Plays Pretty

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #6,143 of 6,671
@TJ Elite

If you like Leszek Mozdzer, you may like Marcin Wasilewski resp. Simple Acoustic Trio too (try "January" and "Faithfull")
Exceptional piano player and together with Mozdzer and Tomasz Stanko "the best Exportproduct" of Poland :)

My latest greatest

Nils Petter Molvaer "Hamada" and "ER"
Victor Wooten "A show of hands - 15"
Bugge Wesseltoft "New conceptions of Jazz"
Helge Lien Trio "Polka"
Helge Lien Trio "Natsukashii"

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #6,144 of 6,671
Got these in xmas present from dad :) 

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #6,146 of 6,671
Setakamuy is a phenomenal artist and the music he produces is both rich and enchanting. I was very surprised to see some more work of y0c1e on this album in particular. It was perhaps an additional reason for investing into the album.

On another note, thanks for sharing that wonderful gift from Otographic Music. It even has a Nhato remix which I am inclined to hear.
dt880smile.png

I listened to the tracks last night and I think the remix of Etude might actually be my favorite of the songs in the pack. An interesting alternative to the commercially released remix Kazusa made.

@TJ Elite

If you like Leszek Mozdzer, you may like Marcin Wasilewski resp. Simple Acoustic Trio too (try "January" and "Faithfull")
Exceptional piano player and together with Mozdzer and Tomasz Stanko "the best Exportproduct" of Poland :)

I've been listening to quite a bit of Polish jazz like Krzysztof Komeda's Astigmatic and Tomasz Stańko's Leosia recently. Michael Wollny and Leszek Możdżer I recently discovered through the Jazz at Berlin Philharmonic I CD. I'll check out Wasilewski, thanks.

This year's Xmas haul.

sasakure.UK - トンデモ未来空奏図 (The Fantastic Diagram of Futuristic Playdreams) [limited edition CD+DVD]

I'm really psyched to hear this album (haven't even personally listened to the previews or watched any music videos). I listen to very little pop, but sasakure.UK's work on his 2nd album was absolutely incredible. The interview with him I've embedded below is 
really
 interesting as well. I just finished ripping the CD and am sad the see the DR value for the album has gone down from his previous album's DR8 to DR5. The label hasn't changed and even the mastering engineer is the same, so I can only wonder why the sudden decision to go for apparently louder mastering. The last album sounded so good as well. Hopefully the album's DR value isn't fully representative of how it sounds.

​Edit: Turns out this album is not a victim of a loudness treatment. The music simply is so chiptune-influenced that there simply isn't that much dynamic variation in the musical content. The album actually sound REALLY good, just like its predecessor, and musically it's heavenly.

millstones - セカイカタログ (Sekai Catalog) [CD+DVD]

八王子P (HachiojiP) aka 8#Prince - ViViD WAVE [limited edition CD+DVD]

AVTechNO! - ニカソピテキ (Nicasopiteki)

Zedd - Clarity [Japanese edition]

I can't say that I'm a fan of Zedd's work, but I wanted this album solely for one of the Japan-only bonus tracks which I've embedded below.

Youn Sun Nah - Same Girl [collector's edition, 2CDs]

One of my new favorite singers without question. Check out Breakfast in Baghdad and Enter Sandman below for some amazing performances.

Pierrick Pédron - Cheerleaders

radio.string.quartet.vienna - Radiodream

Supersilent - 1-3 [3 CDs]

My musician cousin recommended Supersilent to me recently and his recommendations are usually really good. As a huge fan of jazz and improvised and avant-garde music in general, taking a look at the group's Wikipedia article immediately made my mouth water. I got their first album (triple album really) as an Xmas gift for myself and am really excited to hear these recordings.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #6,147 of 6,671
Supersilent sounds very similar to Molvaer (I like very much this Norwegian sound).

The best performance of Youn Sun Nah I found in concert, especialy because of her "guitariero"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jepILTkRybI

But the whole band is great - check the 32:00 min. Really hot!!!
Is there any record/CD like this available?

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #6,148 of 6,671
Christmas presents:

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #6,149 of 6,671

Oh Yeeeeaaaa!!!! Got all 5 for $30, had a $25 gift card, so they only cost me $5!!! Merry Christmas to me!

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #6,150 of 6,671
  Oh Yeeeeaaaa!!!! Got all 5 for $30, had a $25 gift card, so they only cost me $5!!! Merry Christmas to me!

"At Carnegie Hall" is one hell of a live album. Well the rest are killer too. "Watermelon Man" on "Head Hunters" is one of the all-time favorite tracks of one of my cousins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back