Your advice on a new headphone
Dec 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

rasmioche

Head-Fier
Hello to everyone, I am new on the forum :) have been reading only for a few days this forum that i just discovered to find out which headphone should i buy.

I will start by saying a few things that may help you to help me 
biggrin.gif

I listen to practically every kind of music, don't have a style, i can go from manson to mozart ...
But actually i like a lot songs with bass and it has to be present in the headphones, that's why i choose xb500 and v700 2 years ago. But i also listen to electro, classical, rock, metal... so i guess everything must be there :D but bass is the most crucial.

When it comes to headphones, i have to say that I am not an expert, or enthusiast or anything near to that, i just love to listen to my music with a good audio quality. most of my tracks are @ 320bkps and some at 256 and 128kbps

I actually own 2 sony headphones, xb500 (now broken, i will take another one soon i think) and v700dj.
when i purchased theese it took months to decide wich one to take, and it was v700dj vs xb500 vx akg 518. finally i took the two sony's because i liked the pumped bass, the comfort and price of the xb500 over the akg, and also took the v700 because i loved the audio quality and output.

Now with my xb500 broken i have to use the v700 all the time, and there are 2 major problems :

1- when i put it on more than 30 mins it starts to hurt my ears (just prom outside because of the pads pressure)
2-the cable is way too long to take it somewhere with me, every time i have to empty a pocket just for the cable 
3-the pad's black "leather" material is coming all off and some black parts stay in my ear and the pad itself looks ugly, but that's not a big deal

Now with thoose things said, i would like to know wich headphones do you thinks would be a bang for the buck ? i read a lot of threads, and i have a lot oh headphones in the list right now... 
I have to say, i don't know a clue af impendance, ohm and all those data that you may list as pro/cons.

Only important things to me are :

-sound quality to be very good and most natural possible, and have some nice bass like xb500 and v700dj at least
-absolutely to be used without an amp, mostly on my iphone, ipod, computer and other portable devices (tablet etc)
-to be comfortable like xb500 or at least not as hard as v700j (i also remember that akg 518 were not very comfy to me) 
-to be affordable : price maximum 150 euro
-cable to be short, or at least not as long as v700dj (or if it's a headphone with repleacable cable i could buy the short cable, like for the beyer custom pro)

The headphones in my list for now are theese :

beyerdynamic 770 (80 ohm - 250ohm)
beyerdynamic custom one pro
beyerdynamic 880 (which version?)
beyerdynamic 990 (which version?)
shure 750
shure 840
shure 940
Ultrasone 750
Ultrasone 780
Ultrasone 580
Ultrasone 550
audio technica m50
audio technica pro700 mk2
denon d2000
sennheiser hd280
akg 181dj (hoping they are better than 518)

so here it is... I am sorry, i know the list is huge, nut as i have been reading and reading threads, the list became bigger and bigger... and the problem is that in italy there are not a lot of stores with all theese headphones to try... actually there are only 4-5 models generally and one of them is always that damn beats... that i really dislike.

Of course if you have any other suggestions, feel free to tell 
redface.gif

the lowest the price, the best it is.

Ah I almost forgot... I also need a pair of in ear that have clear sound quality, and a good bass... i was looking for :

-sony ex50lp but i read bad reviews...(22 euro)
-sony ex10lp (10 euro)
-sony xb21ex (25-30 euro)
pioneer se-cl07 (15 euro)
sennheiser cx300 ii (22 euro)
sennheiser cx400 ii (25 euro)
radiopaq custom [rock version - pop version - classica version] (20 euro)
philips she3570 (20 euro)
philips she3575 (20 euro)
philips she3580 (20 euro)
jvc hafx1x xtreme xplosives (32 euro)

here again, best bang for the buck, i come from apple headphones, so i guess anything will sound pretty good 
biggrin.gif

thank you all for your time 
dt880smile.png

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 101
try the v-moda m-80's (230 usd) or even (im not doing the conversions this might be pricy) the m-100's (310). Both great headphones with emphasis on bass, really great sound and comfort. I'm looking forward to them. You could try one of lower ultrasone headphones. Yea I would (if bass) go for the xb-500, but they wouldn't be great on too much else. Don't go for beats, whatever you do. the ATH-m50's are also great cans, but I personally like v-moda better

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 101
thank you for your advice.
i will definetly take another pair of xb500, but i want a third pair to use mostly outside, on the bus, on the way to college etc. i will use the new pair of xb500 at home and v700 ocasionally, so i need a thir pair to be my primary headphone 
biggrin.gif

are the ones you suggested good unamped ? as i said it will be mostly playing on iphone, ipod, mp3 players, tablet and pc.

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 101
I also forgot to say that i like headphones with good isolation, so i can listen to the music keeping the volume low.

xb500's isolation was a 5/10 for me while v700dj is a 6.5-7/10 . I would prefer a good isolation, but not total isolation as i also like to hear, even if a little bit, what happens around me, but only a liiitle bit 
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 101
For your needs, I would have to say cut out Beyerdynamic in your list...sorry...those are semi open. Does leak sound a bit.

From your list for bass... I would consider ATH-PRO700 mk2 or HFI-580... But I think M-100 should satisfy best.

as for IEM, can't help much...

Just my 2cent :)

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 101
Hello and thank you for your reply 
redface.gif

I did not put any v-moda in my list because i can't find them in italy unfortunately 
frown.gif
 and even in general european market they are hard to find (at least for me)
ok for ath pro700 mk2
i read a review on hfi 580 where it's said that it "emulates" a sourround sound... is that true ? this means that sound does not seem "natural" like other headphones ?
are the beyer leaking a lot ? i mean, compared to xb500 for example.

are they good without amp ?

if there is anything in the price range of the shure 750 (aprox. 110 euro) it would be the best, unfortunately i just checked the ath pro700 mk2's price and it's over my budget... a lot 
frown.gif

feel free to suggest other headphones that are not in the list, i only put what i read about. thank you again !

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 101
Yes, beyerdynamic does leak some as I said those are open canes :)

HFI-680 are more natural sound if you wanted to but it requires amp. E6 will do :)

The ATH solid bass series sound great to me :) tried the WS70! + they just recently released the WS77 should be better :)

Again, just my 2cent :)

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 101
Quote:
 E6 will do
smily_headphones1.gif

The ATH solid bass series sound great to me
smily_headphones1.gif
tried the WS70! + they just recently released the WS77 should be better
smily_headphones1.gif

what does E6 stand for 
confused_face(1).gif
 ? sorry for that noob question 
biggrin.gif

ok then i'll put also ws70 in the list and update it
Quote:
Heya,

I think ultimately you would do best with:

Ultrasone HFI 580
AKG K167
Beyer Custom One PRO
AudioTechnica A900X

Very best,

thank you for your advice, i will update the list and also have some questions.

1- I like (at least at the first view) the beyer custom one pro, but i see in the specs that the maximum input is 100mW.
when compared to my v700dj i see that this one has 3000mW, the xb500 1600mW, the ATH pro700mk2 also has 1600mW...
so i would like to know what does it mean this maximum input, and being so low compared to my actual headphones (and others in the list) what will be the consequences ? lower overall sound ? lower quality ? or what else 
confused.gif

2-ath m50 isn't worth the price compared to the other for my needs ? same question for ws70.

3-akg k167 is way better that akg 181dj ?

4- if i had to choose right now it would be (in order of preference) : beyer custom one pro vs ath pro700mk2 vs hfi 580 vs 780 vs   akg k167

wich one of theese has : better bass quantity, better bass quality, better overall sound quality, better mids and highs, better construction quality, best comfort

if you could rate them this way it would be great for every "detail" :
better bass : beyer cop > ath pro700mk2 > hfi 580 > akg k167 >...
bass quantity : .... > ..... >....

5- i really can't "understand" waht does the s-logic thing do in the hfi 580, i try to imagine it, but it's just quite impossible for me... can someone try to explain it please 
tongue.gif
 ? does it create a sort of distortion, or make the sound look more natural or innatural ? etc...

UPDATED LIST

beyerdynamic custom one pro

Ultrasone 780
Ultrasone 580

audio technica pro700 mk2
audio technica ws70
audio technica a900x (over my budget, so for now last in the list)

akg 181dj 
akg k167 (over my budget, next to the last in the list, for now)

thank you again for your help

edit : still no advices for in ear in the list 
biggrin.gif
 ?

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 101
Oh no worries :) E6 is a small amp from FiiO! Have you ever seen an iPod Nano 6th gen? Yea, around that size. If you are looking for good bass quantity & quality with better mids & highs, cut ATH-M50 out of your list again XD those mids are recessed and bass quantity are good but not in quality.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 101
Quote:
Oh no worries
smily_headphones1.gif
E6 is a small amp from FiiO! Have you ever seen an iPod Nano 6th gen? Yea, around that size. If you are looking for good bass quantity & quality with better mids & highs, cut ATH-M50 out of your list again XD those mids are recessed and bass quantity are good but not in quality.

thanks a lot ! 
biggrin.gif

wow actually i thought that all amps were at least the size of an iphone... good to know there are very small things... it's a good amp i guess 
redface.gif
 ? even to use it on beyer 770 (80 or 250 for home use only) or do they need more powerful amp ? 
are there other amps, this size and in this price range, maybe better ?
sory for the OT

ok, so ath m50 out of the list 
etysmile.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 101
thanks a lot ! :D

wow actually i thought that all amps were at least the size of an iphone... good to know there are very small things... it's a good amp i guess :xf_eek:  ? even to use it on beyer 770 (80 or 250 for home use only) or do they need more powerful amp ? 
are there other amps, this size and in this price range, maybe better ?
sory for the OT

ok, so ath m50 out of the list :etysmile:

Very good for the price & size! 80 Ohms version, yes where as 250 Ohms version I would recommend E6's brother, the E11.

Don't think there's anything that is as small as E6 anymore eh? But the Hippo Cricri is/are around the same size as iPod Nano 3rd. Priced a bit higher thought...

http://www.fiio.com.cn/ to find out more about FiiO products! (Very resonable price!)

Check out Swimsonny's review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/615504/review-hippo-cricri-a-handful-of-energy

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 101
I'm listening to the sony ex10lp right now.  For the price I don't think you can beat them (at least here at $15).  They have good bass and even some sub bass when it is needed.  The mids are pretty good and the highs have good brightness but not sibilant.  The only thing that really lack is wider separation and depth and all the stuff you get with a high price headphone, but that doesn't mean those aren't good.  Everything on these is great, just not as great.  The build quality is decent and if cared for will probably last a long time, but that is probably where they cut most of their cost.  They also don't have any accessories other than tips.  So, if you think about it, they might be equivalent to $30 headphones without the accessories.  Not sure.  But for $15 they are definitely worth it.  They have what I would call the sony signature sound, if you know what they're cheap headphone highs sound like you know what i mean.  They aren't amazing, but they really have no big flaws.  They can seem bright and sometimes dry sounding, but have reasonable balance for the price. :) Just my two cents.

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 101
Quote:
Very good for the price & size! 80 Ohms version, yes where as 250 Ohms version I would recommend E6's brother, the E11.
Don't think there's anything that is as small as E6 anymore eh? But the Hippo Cricri is/are around the same size as iPod Nano 3rd. Priced a bit higher thought...
http://www.fiio.com.cn/ to find out more about FiiO products! (Very resonable price!)
Check out Swimsonny's review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/615504/review-hippo-cricri-a-handful-of-energy

thank you 
biggrin.gif
 i think i'll go for the e6, now only remaining question is about the headphones and in-ear and it will be only a matter of purchase 

Quote:
1- I like (at least at the first view) the beyer custom one pro, but i see in the specs that the maximum input is 100mW.
when compared to my v700dj i see that this one has 3000mW, the xb500 1600mW, the ATH pro700mk2 also has 1600mW...
so i would like to know what does it mean this maximum input, and being so low compared to my actual headphones (and others in the list) what will be the consequences ? lower overall sound ? lower quality ? or what else 
confused.gif

2- if i had to choose right now it would be (in order of preference) : beyer custom one pro vs ath pro700mk2 vs hfi 580 vs  akg k167

wich one of theese has : better bass quantity, better bass quality, better overall sound quality, better mids and highs, better construction quality, best comfort

if you could rate them this way it would be great for every "detail" :
better bass : beyer cop > ath pro700mk2 > hfi 580 > akg k167 >...
bass quantity : .... > ..... >....

3- i really can't "understand" waht does the s-logic thing do in the hfi 580, i try to imagine it, but it's just quite impossible for me... can someone try to explain it please 
tongue.gif
 ? does it create a sort of distortion, or make the sound look more natural or innatural ? etc...

edit : still no advices for in ear in the list 
biggrin.gif
 ?

theese are the only 3 remaining questions for the headphones, list is updated again 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back