Your help about Fiio E17
Jun 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Modulateur-75

New Head-Fier
Hi all 

can someone tell me what is the purpose of the Fiio L7

"The FiiO L7 is designed to be used with the E7 (E17) USB DAC/AMP, providing a dedicated line-out jack for sending a high quality line-level signal to other devices such as a stereo or amplifier."

I don't understand why the E17 doesn't work with my speakers directly plugged on the Aux line of the E17...

I understand that the line-out of the E17 provides a different signal than the headphone jack... Is it right?

Thanks a lot for your help

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Hi all 

can someone tell me what is the purpose of the Fiio L7

"The FiiO L7 is designed to be used with the E7 (E17) USB DAC/AMP, providing a dedicated line-out jack for sending a high quality line-level signal to other devices such as a stereo or amplifier."
I don't understand why the E17 doesn't work with my speakers directly plugged on the Aux line of the E17...
I understand that the line-out of the E17 provides a different signal than the headphone jack... Is it right?

Looks like a very simple USB DAC.

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Which means I can benefit of the sound improvements but not of the amp, right?

Think I made a mistake, it not a DAC itself, but plugs into a E7 or E17 and uses the E7/E17 DAC to do the work.

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Think I made a mistake, it not a DAC itself, but plugs into a E7 or E17 and uses the E7/E17 DAC to do the work.

That is my understanding - glancing at the specs of the E17, there is no provision for a dedicated line-level output on the amp itself (happy to hear otherwise, but why would they need this gadget otherwise). The OP hasnt answered my earlier question - it should be straightforward to connect a proper line-out to a pair of powered speakers (volume controlled at the speakers) or even from the headphone out per most computer speakers (never seen passive computer speakers - happy to hear otherwise ....), Easy to test the line-out - just connect a pair of cheap headphones (without putting them on your head ...) and you should be able to hear some rather loud music emerging from the phones. If not, you either have a dodgy unit (not unheard of with Fiio...) or you havent followed the instructions properly re connection to the E17. 

Personally, I would try to get those powered speakers working from the headphone out on the E17 before concentrating on the L7 line-out. I ran a Logitech 2.1 system from both headphone-out and line-out on my Fiio E9 - purely for gaming - and its pretty well idiot-proof. Your speakers should only need an analog signal - you could test them with a portable player, if needed - the L7 is either producing one or it isnt. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-level

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Read on the Fiio official website :

"L7 has following functions after connecting with E7 (or E17):
1. USB port can be used as power-supply and battery charging.
2. After connecting USB port with the computer,E7 (E17)+L7 can be used as USB DAC.
3. After connecting USB line with the computer, people can enjoy the music via 3.5mm plug lineout.

20113211043359.jpg

L7 Must be used togather with E7 (E17). Insert the E7's necessary USB cable in the L7 mini USB interface, line out through 3.5 interface to other amplifier. At this point, E7 (E17) only as a separate USB DAC work"

The english on this website is quite bad but anyway. More surprising, it is not up to date because as you can see, they forget to mention their new product, the E17 :
http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=22&MenuID=020303

Well, to answer to you Estreeter, I can plug the 3.5 jack of my speakers into the headphones out of the E17 and it works but then, why this L7??? And the sound is a bit strange, the voices are a quite behind. I think this headphone out may be dedicated only to headphones... Just as the soundcard of your pc will make a difference between headphone and speakers...  The auxiliary jack is there as a line in for the E17, I just don't get why this jack wasn't designed to work as a line-out  for speakers...

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 13
Let's put it to rest once and for all -

1) L7 will work with both E7 and E17, and should work with any future FiiO products that has the FiiO Dock (which is the official name of that connector).

2) L7 is intended to extract the line-out signal from the above two amp/DAC. Both have the line-out signal built into their dock connection, so you need L7 to turn it into a 3.5mm stereo socket that you can connect to other amp or active speaker.

3) L7 is just an adapter, no circuit or any special hardware inside.

4) Why line-out and not just use headphone-out for amp or speaker? Well, that is because line-out has better SNR and let you avoid double amping (which generally worsen SNR and degrades SQ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back