Your input counts....DT990, DT880, AKG, vs. others.
Jan 13, 2013 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

czyzler

New Head-Fier
[size=small] I need your help.  I am looking to buy a new set of cans to upgrade my Sennheiser 380s.  In my price range, after hours upon hours on these forums, I have identified a few headphones and would like your opinion on which ones to get. The ones I identified were the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 ohms),  The Beyerdynamic DT990 (250 Ohms), or the AKG K 701/2.   I am open to anything else you may recommend. My budget pretty much caps at $300.00[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Budget: 250-300$[/size]

[size=small] Source: HT Omega Claro Halo[/size]

[size=small] Isolation: Open or semi Open[/size]

[size=small] Type: Full Sized[/size]

[size=small] Tonality: Prefer Highs, Mids, not too much of a bass head[/size]

[size=small] Past Headphones: Sennheiser 280 Pro, then upgraded to 380 Pro.[/size]

[size=small] Music: Tool, Metallica, Chili Peppers, APC[/size]

[size=small] Mainly looking for an upgrade from my Sennheiser 380s. The clamping force is a little much for long term listening. I mainly listen to music while working and do the occasional gaming. [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thanks again![/size]

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
[size=small] I need your help.  I am looking to buy a new set of cans to upgrade my Sennheiser 380s.  In my price range, after hours upon hours on these forums, I have identified a few headphones and would like your opinion on which ones to get. The ones I identified were the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 ohms),  The Beyerdynamic DT990 (250 Ohms), or the AKG K 701/2.   I am open to anything else you may recommend. My budget pretty much caps at $300.00[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Budget: 250-300$[/size]

[size=small] Source: HT Omega Claro Halo[/size]

[size=small] Isolation: Open or semi Open[/size]

[size=small] Type: Full Sized[/size]

[size=small] Tonality: Prefer Highs, Mids, not too much of a bass head[/size]

[size=small] Past Headphones: Sennheiser 280 Pro, then upgraded to 380 Pro.[/size]

[size=small] Music: Tool, Metallica, Chili Peppers, APC[/size]

[size=small] Mainly looking for an upgrade from my Sennheiser 380s. The clamping force is a little much for long term listening. I mainly listen to music while working and do the occasional gaming. [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thanks again![/size]

There's a thread for this.

990's have a bit more bass than 880.
880 is well rounded and smooth, guitar sounds won't harsh out, even with Metallica's garage days stuff
Akg 701 is midrange heavy, more suited to jazz, classical, and acoustic. May harsh out on driving guitar work. Not recommended.

If you get 880's get a desktop amp.

For rock you might be pretty happy with inexpensive Sony MDR V6. Very well rounded, non coloring, plenty of punch, made for rock but are a jack of all trades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back