RMAA Test of Headphone Output

Line Output
      Sound Quality & Comparisons
      Channel Imbalance
      RMAA Test of Line Output

Features
      Digital Filter & Jitter Eliminator
      Additional Information and Updates

Many thanks to Yulong and Qubes Audio Singapore for the loan of Yulong DA8ii demo unit!
I had the demo unit for more than a month for proper review and comparison with other desktop DACs.

http://www.yulongaudio.com/en/product_detail.asp?pid=48

I have the previous model, Yulong DA8 for almost 2 years now, and it has been one of my favourite and reference DAC+Amp combo. The powerful and smooth sounding 1 watt discrete class A headphone amplifier makes it one of the best one box solution in its class.

Instead of increasing the model number and releasing DA9, Yulong launched DA8ii, as the improved version of the successful DA8. While still using the same SABRE ESS9018 DAC chip, the following are the improved components in DA8II:
Low phase noise Crystek CCHD-950-25-100 audio crystal oscillator, fine-tuned power supply, Low Pass Filter (LPF), and headphone amplifier.

Look and Feel:
Overall they look quite similar, with the same size and design. The whole unit feels really solid and well made. The front panel is made of thick aluminium plate, which seems to be the classic trend for high end audio equipment. Beside the additional 'II' on the model, the only difference in the design is the volume knob that looks slightly different than DA8. Other than that both DA8 and DA8II basically look similar. Both are available in black and silver. The 2.4 inch colour LED display still looks the same as Yulong DA8 color LED display. The display quality of my Yulong DA8 starts degrading after 1 year of frequent use. After around 1.5 years, the edges of the display started to get brightened and bright lines started to show up. It can be easily repaired, but more durable type of display is preferable. Though the graphic might not look as good as Yulong LED display, simple monochrome LED display like the display for Mytek Stereo192-DSD and Geek Pulse XFi will most probably more durable and last longer than the type of color LED display used in DA8 and DA8II. But to be honest, though they look the same as DA8 display, I don't have any information from Yulong if the type of LED display in DA8II is the same as the one in DA8, or if DA8II is now using the better type. In practical, I rarely use the display other than checking the sampling frequency, to make sure it is matching the sampling rate of the recording being played. So I would say it is something minor, but I would like to share my experience here. Besides that, DA8II looks and feels solid, and the build quality is simply excellent, proven by almost 2 years of using DA8.

Summary

Yulong DA8II is a refinement of the already excellent product, Yulong DA8. Refinements that bring DA8II to a more neutral sounding DAC+Amp, as compared to the mildly warm sounding DA8. Most noticeable improvement is in the speed and transient that DA8II is superior to DA8, while still maintaining natural sound signature without any unnatural exaggeration in detail and clarity. Detail and dynamic are now presented in a more lively and natural manner. One of my favourite signatures from Yulong DA8II is that it has high detail resolving power without sounding analytical. Tonality is now closer to neutral, but not yet stepping into analytical territory. Bass is punchier and faster, midrange is more or less similar with slightly better texture, and treble is slightly more transparent. The smooth sounding signature is still retained, but now presented as 'smooth-transparent' instead of 'smooth-warm'. From my observation comparing Yulong DA8II with Yulong DA8, Mytek Stereo192-DSD, and Geek Pulse XFi, and tested it with many headphones, I come to a conclusion that Yulong DA8II has neutral sound signature, more or less comparable to Mytek Stereo192-DSD line output signature. Not analytic, not warm, but neutral. The refinements in DA8II bring it closer to neutral, reference type of sound signature, lively dynamic, while retaining the DA8 musicality. Kudos to Yulong!

All subjective listening tests were done with ‘Slow’ filter and Jitter Eliminator set to bypass. Though I almost cannot hear the difference between Jitter Eliminator ON and bypass, I feel that bypass setting is a tad livelier. The following is simplified comparisons between the 4 DACs headphone output sound quality subjective listening test, from most preferred to less preferred, top to bottom:
Yulong DA8II & Geek Pulse XFi. Quite different sound signature, but comparable in perceived quality.
Yulong DA8. Only very slightly behind DA8II sound quality, with slightly less transient speed and clarity.
Mytek Stereo192-DSD. Sounds rather thin, lacking bass and midrange body. Highest perceived hiss noise on sensitive IEMs.

As for the line output sound quality, honestly, after testing the DACs with different amplifiers and headphones, they kind of have their own unique signature that may sound excellent and enjoyable with matching setup. It is hard to make simple judgement which one sounds best. All DACs line output sound really good and more or less comparable in quality, while having their own unique sound signature. So I rather summaries their unique sound signatures, than voting a winner.

Yulong DA8II and Mytek Stereo192-DSD are the most neutral sounding of the four. Yulong DA8II tonality is quite comparable to Mytek 192-DSD tonality. DA8II sounds a tad smoother than Mytek 192-DSD especially on the high frequency, like a tad more refine with slightly better instrument separation, while Mytek 192-DSD sometime may sound a tad dryer, like there is a slightly more emphasize on detail and transient. But the difference is quite small, and they are more or less comparable in overall sound quality. Yulong DA8 sounds pretty close to Yulong DA8II sound signature, slightly warmer with fatter bass, while DA8II has better transient, texture, and transparency. LH Geek Pulse XFi, like the DA8, is on the warmer side of neutral, with fatter, stronger bass than DA8II, slightly fatter than DA8 as well, with sweet smooth warm signature, and slightly more laid back in presentation. Geek Pulse XFi also has slightly less perceived level of detail when compared to DA8II, could be due to the smooth warm signature. I prefer to use Geek Pulse XFi for brighter and forward sounding headphones. While warmer sounding amplifiers and headphones will probably find better matching with Yulong DA8II.

Mytek is stronger on the features for professional audio application with more comprehensive volume control features, so more suitable for pro audio application which requires more comprehensive features. But when looking for a neutral sounding DAC + headphone amplifier, due to the much better headphone amplifier quality, Yulong DA8II is the better one box solution for headphone system.

Sound quality wise, in my opinion, Yulong DA8II deserves 5 stars rating, at least for this price category.

Pros:

• Excellent sound quality of both DAC and headphone amplifier sections.
  • User friendly design. Features are directly accessible through dedicated buttons, instead of digging into menus.
  • Amplifier bypass feature for the line output, for pure DAC mode.
  • Very good volume knob turning response.
  • Very stable Windows USB driver.

Cons:

• Probably using the same type of colour LED display as Yulong DA8, which from frequent use might start to degrade from as early as 1 year.
  • Very tight headphone socket. Probably only when new, and will get loosen after some use.
  • No indicator on display for different sampling rate of DSD format. Both DSD64 and DSD128 playback are shown as DSD.

Suggestion for Improvements:

• To use a more durable and lasting display quality.
  • Display can be totally turned off after a certain period to save the lifespan of the display. And to use power switch with light like on Yulong A28, to indicate that the DAC is on, when the display is off.
  • Additional digitally-controlled analogue volume control feature beside digital volume control, using digitally-controlled analogue volume control chip such as PGA2311. Something like what Mytek Stereo192-DSD offers would be excellent, offering the choice of both digital and analogue volume control, with 2 independent volume controls for line output and headphone output.
  • Dedicated ‘Mute’ button.
  • Balanced headphone amplifier.
  • DSD256 and DSD512 support.
  • USB compatibility to Yulong U200 Wi-Fi module, for lossless Wi-Fi music streaming.

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 25

Headphone Output

Sound Quality& Comparisons

The sound quality of the 1 watt discrete class A headphone amplifier with its smooth and clean sound signature is very impressive. Yulong refined DA8 class A headphone amplifier and implemented it on DA8II. My measurement shows that the output power is actually around 1.4 watt at 32 ohms, higher than the 1 watt specification. Before I received my Geek Pulse XFi in late June this year, for more than 1.5 years, my main desktop DACs were Yulong DA8 and Mytek Stereo192-DSD. Most of the time, I would say 95% of my total use of the headphone output, I used the Yulong DA8 headphone output. I find Mytek Stereo192-DSD headphone output is thin sounding and less engaging. DA8 headphone output is simply sounds better, fuller, with more dynamic than Mytek 192-DSD headphone output.  I'm glad that Yulong has improved the DA8 headphone output even further on DA8II. DA8II headphone output sound signature is more natural than the slightly warm DA8 headphone output. It retains the smooth grain free signature, and improves on the transparency, speed, dynamic, and detail. Sound signature is neutral, not analytic and not warm either. It has good bass and midrange body, not thin, with good detail and dynamic.

Quality of DA8II headphone amplifier is comparable to a good desktop headphone amplifier. With around 6.8 Vrms max voltage, and 1.4 watt at 32 ohms, it practically drives almost anything from low impedance to 600 ohms headphones, except ‘hard to drive’ planar like my Hifiman HE-6. I have Violectric HPA V200 desktop amplifier that is connected to one of my desktop DAC most of the time, and difference of the sound quality between using the V200 and connecting directly to the build-in headphone output of DA8II is not night and day. Sound from V200 connected to DA8II line output has slightly higher in clarity (but also slightly more grainy), slightly better drive, dynamic and detail, but only on the level of slightly better, and DA8II headphone output quality follows pretty close. V200 also sounds dryer than DA8II headphone amplifier, sounds like the decay is tad shorter. For some recordings, I do feel Yulong DA8II headphone amp decay sounds more natural. Generally both sound great with all the headphones I tested. Unlike my Mytek Stereo192-DSD which headphone amplifier is just like an additional feature of the DAC, Yulong DA8II headphone amplifier can be considered one of the main features. Yulong DA8II is probably one of the best one box solutions of DAC + Amp at this price range.

Before moving forward with headphone output comparisons and measurement, there are two things that I would like to mention here:
1. Tight headphone socket.
I had a chance to check 3 demo units of Yulong DA8ii before taking a unit for review, and I found that on most units, the headphone socket grips rather too tight, tighter than DA8 headphone socket. Sometime it is too tight that I have to hold DA8ii chassis to unplug the headphone jack. I hope Yulong take note on this, and make some adjustment for the headphone socket, to make it less tight, but not too loose either.
2. Distortion check.
I found one of the demo units has the headphone amplifier that is slightly distorted on one channel. The distortion was only audible when using IEMs. When using headphones the distortion was not audible, the distorted headphone output was only sounded more analytic on headphones, but was not distorted. So my advice when getting Yulong DA8, or actually any DAC & headphone amplifier, check the headphone output with IEMs. Small distortion is more likely to be more audible on sensitive IEMs.

Comparison with Yulong DA8 headphone output

Compared to the older Yulong DA8 headphone output, Overall improvement that I can hear from the DA8II headphone output are transparency, detail, speed, and tightness. Since there is no way to compare only the headphone amplifier section, it is more of an overall improvement of the whole unit and not merely the headphone amplifier section alone. In general DA8II is slightly livelier than DA8. Transparency and clarity are also improved. DA8 headphone output is slightly warmer, bass is slightly fatter, and also slightly less in perceived details. DA8 sonic signature is a touch warm, while DA8II is more towards neutral. More obvious differences is on the bass, where I can hear better punch, speed, texture and tightness on DA8II, where DA8 bass is generally fatter and less textured. But the overall differences are actually quite mild, and not always obvious on some recordings. For some brighter sounding headphones, DA8 warm and fatter signature is actually can be an advantage, to tame and smoothen treble brightness. While for warmer headphones, DA8II shines. I would like to state again, that the improvement is more in level of refinements, and it doesn’t shift DA8II signature too much from DA8 signature. Even if the detail, clarity, transparency, and speed have been improved, it doesn’t make Yulong DA8II sounds analytic. I’ve been listening to Beyerdynamic T1 from Yulong DA8II for hours without any fatigue, indicating that DA8II is not analytical sounding. Otherwise, I won’t be able to enjoy my T1 and HD800 with Yulong DA8II. In my opinion both DA8 and DA8II have excellent headphone amplifier section, but overall DA8II has slightly better sound quality.

Comparison with Geek Pulse XFi headphone output

Observing the headphone output sound quality of both, despite of having different sound signature, Yulong DA8II and Geek Pulse XFi are about in the same class, and in my opinion, better than Mytek 192-DSD headphone output. Most obvious is in the treble signature where Geek Pulse XFi treble sound slightly softer. Geek Pulse XFi also sounds a tad fuller around the midrange and bass area, with stronger bass presence. On the other hand, DA8II sounds slightly smoother, less dry, and more transparent, while still having good body on midrange and bass. Treble extension seems to be slightly better on DA8II, while XFi has more powerful bass. DA8II also perceived as sounding a little more spacious. Both headphone outputs are quite powerful, with XFi has higher output power. Dynamic and drive ability are quite comparable between the two, with DA8II sounds a tad faster in transient, and also slightly more forward in presentation. At the end it is more about headphone matching and personal preferences. For HD800 and T1 for example, I do prefer XFi stronger bass signature. But for Shure SRH1540 and ATH-R70x, I prefer the more transparent Yulong DA8II.

Geek Pulse XFi wins for the feature of balanced headphone output. Powerful balanced headphone output is really useful to drive ‘hard to drive headphone’ such as my Hifiman HE-6. Hopefully the next generation of DA8, probably DA9, will be equipped with a powerful balanced headphone output.

Comparison with Mytek Stereo192-DSD headphone output

Mytek headphone amplifier section, that probably is using TPA6102A2 chip family, with 5 ohms output impedance in the headphone output circuit, though sounds pretty decent and quite transparent, is not really up to the level of the DA8, DA8II and Geek Pulse XFi headphone amplifier. Mytek headphone output as mentioned before, sounds thinner in comparison, lacking of fullness and dynamic around bass to low midrange area. Overall it is more analytical and less musically engaging. Yulong DA8II headphone output is clearly better in comparison to Mytek Stereo192-DSD headphone output.

In summary, Yulong DA8II, DA8, and Geek Pulse XFi headphone output are comparable, while feature wise Geek Pulse XFi wins due to the balanced headphone output. Yulong DA8 headphone output quality is actually pretty close to DA8II, with DA8II is slightly better in clarity, detail, dynamic, and overall sounds livelier. While Mytek Stereo192-DSD headphone output is not really in the same league as the others, lacking fullness, dynamic, and the noisiest for IEM use.

On-Off Popping Noise

There is mild to moderate popping noise when switching the power on or off with headphone plugged in. Only mild popping noise on higher impedance headphones, but can be moderately loud on sensitive IEMs. Not up to the level that the popping sound might spoil the headphone or IEM, but especially for IEM, it is better to switch on or off without any IEM connected to the headphone output, especially when switching on. Using external desktop amplifier with balanced connection reduces the On-Off popping noise. In comparison with other DACs popping noise, DA8II headphone output on-off popping noise is actually softer than Mytek 192-DSD and Geek Pulse XFi, only slightly louder than Yulong DA8. I recorded the popping noise of the headphone output using Creative SB E5. I power cycle each DAC for 3 times starting from switching to On then Off a few seconds later. Starting with Yulong DA8II (blue spikes), Yulong DA8 (Yellow spikes), Geek Pulse XFi (Green spikes), and Mytek Stereo192-DSD (Red spikes) at the last. We can see from the screenshot below, the height of the pulses, Geek Pulse XFi and Mytek 192-DSD on-off popping noise are louder than Yulong DA8II.

Noise Floor & IEM

Headphone output noise floor observation is practically more relevant to IEM application, and often heard as hiss noise when player is silent or playing soft passages of a recording. Every IEM has different sensitivity to hiss noise, and it is also related to human hearing equal loudness curve. Meaning, the perceived loudness of the hiss noise is depending on the harmonic frequency of the noise floor. If most of the harmonic frequency of the noise is outside human sensitive frequency region, it might not be audible even if it is measured rather high.

Honestly, noise floor is not an easy subject to discuss, simply because with measurement equipment that I have, what is measured is not always related to what is heard. What is measured with the highest noise floor rms value, might be heard as the quieter amp. I don't have precision audio analyzer, and my USB oscilloscope (Owon VDS3102) is not the best instrument for noise measurement. So what I did is simply observing what I can see from the oscilloscope window to estimate the Vrms & Vpp value, and FFT window observing the harmonic frequencies. From the 4 desktop DACs tested, LH Geek Pulse XFi is showing the highest noise floor value, but it is also the quietest, with lowest audible hiss noise when tested with the most sensitive IEM I have. Yulong DA8 and DA8II on the other hand, showing much lower noise floor value on oscilloscope than Geek Pulse XFi, but they have louder perceived hiss noise. Probably this phenomenon might be explained by the FFT graph. Geek Pulse XFi FFT graph shows a very different pattern than other DACs. The harmonic frequency of the noise floor is evenly distributed without any particular peaks in the 0 to 50 kHz region, like a very soft white noise, but it has pretty high of ultra-high frequency noise in the range of megahertz, which probably explains why the noise floor sounds softer even though it is shown quite high on the oscilloscope. While other DACs though showing lower noise value, their noise floor harmonic frequencies has some peaks on certain frequencies, and not evenly distributed like Geek Pulse XFi white noise kind of pattern. The few frequency peaks are probably what cause the noise floor to be more around audible as compared to soft white noise kind of noise. But this is just my observation. Beside some googling, I haven't studied much about noise floor behaviour.

From all the IEMs that I have, 1964 Ears V3 and DUNU DN-2000 are some of the most sensitive IEMs to amplifier hiss noise. So observation of the hiss noise perceived loudness is based on what I heard using 1964 Ears V3 and DN-2000.

Test setup:
32 ohms resistor was used as dummy load. Some amplifiers are not stable without load.
Owon VDS3102 100 MHz oscilloscope, set to 20 MHz bandwidth.
Oscilloscope Phosphorus screen digital persistence mode was enabled.
Output volume was set between 500 mV - 540 mV (rms) when playing 100 Hz 0 dBFS. But actually for digital volume control, I observed noise floor level is quite consistent across the volume level, and doesn’t change with volume.
Noise floor is observed while playing silent track.
Digital oscilloscope input channels are set to DC coupled to show the level of DC offset.
Owon VDS3102 is used to estimated noise floor RMS value and harmonic frequency.
DUNU -DN-2000 is used for subjective observation of hiss noise perceived loudness.

In summary, all DACs headphone amplifier has typical noise floor level of desktop amp. Geek Pulse XFi has the lowest perceived hiss noise, that is practically almost ignore-able, but on oscilloscope it is shown to have highest level of noise floor. Geek Pulse XFi noise when observed using 1964 Ears V3, I can hear a kind of noise pattern, not totally even hiss noise. But using DN-2000 the noise pattern is less obvious, more just like even sounding soft hiss noise. The other 3 DACs, Yulong DA8, Yulong DA8II, and Mytek Stereo192-DSD have approximately the same level of perceived hiss noise, with only little differences between them. Mytek Stereo192-DSD is slightly noisier, therefore it has the highest perceived hiss noise among the 4 DACs. In practical, I would say the level of headphone output hiss noise from all the 4 DACs tested here are low enough for general less sensitive IEMs, practically almost ignore-able. But for very sensitive IEMs can be a little annoying.

Below is the 'subjective' hiss noise perceived loudness, from the softest to the loudest:

Geek Pulse XFi (softest)
Yulong DA8 & Yulong DA8II (about the same)
Mytek Stereo192-DSD (loudest)

While the Vpp and Vrms fluctuation value of the noise floor observed from the digital oscilloscope, is as the following:

Yulong DA8: Vpp ≈4-5 mV ; Vrms ≈12-14 mV
Yulong DA8II: Vpp ≈5-9 mV ; Vrms ≈6-10 mV
Mytek Stereo192-DSD: Vpp ≈7-13 mV ; Vrms ≈6-9 mV
Geek Pulse XFi: Vpp ≈33-45 mV ; Vrms ≈23-28 mV

Oscilloscope base noise floor with cable and 32 ohms load connected:

Yulong DA8:

Yulong DA8II:

Mytek Stereo192-DSD:

Geek Pulse XFi:

Yulong DA8 FFT screenshots:

Yulong DA8II FFT screenshots:

Mytek Stereo192-DSD FFT screenshots:

Geek Pulse XFi FFT screenshots:

Geek Pulse XFi ultra-high frequency harmonics FFT screenshots:

I have no idea why my Geek Pulse XFi headphone output is showing pretty high noise value, but in practical it has the lowest perceived hiss noise. From a YouTube video that showing the board layout of the Geek Pulse XFi, the position of the dual clock chips are just right behind the headphone output section. So the high frequency noise on the headphone output (none on the line output) could be from the clock chips. But that’s just my guess. The video shows that Larry has placed some slots on the PCB to create some degree of separation between the clock section to the headphone output section. So, please take the above measurement with a pinch of salt, as I mentioned earlier it is not a proper noise floor measurement, just showing what I have observed on my Owon VDS3102 oscilloscope (bandwidth set at 20 MHz).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIAqtblSmjQ

Low Level Signal & Noise

When using sensitive IEMs, typically my listening level is around 100 mV rms or less. At this low level signal, noise floor may start to become an issue when using sensitive IEMs. Therefore I include observation of low level signal. I played 100 Hz sine wave, 24-194 resolution, to all the DACs, set the headphone output to be at around 100 mV rms on 32 ohms, and take the oscilloscope screenshot of the headphone output.

Yulong DA8II, volume -36.0 dB:

Yulong DA8, volume -36.0 dB:

Mytek Stereo192-DSD, digital volume -33.0 dB:

Mytek Stereo192-DSD, analogue volume -33.0 dB:

Geek Pulse XFi, (High gain) volume -35.5 dB:

Geek Pulse XFi, (Medium gain) volume -28.0 dB:

Geek Pulse XFi, (Low gain) volume -24.0 dB:

Though Geek Pulse XFi low level signal looks noisy, somehow I didn’t hear the noise is audibly affecting the performance of the headphone output. It is something that I cannot explain. Most probably is because the noise spectrum is more on the ultra-high frequency that is beyond human hearing capability. But I do actually expect the XFi headphone output to be as clean as other DACs headphone output.

Power Output & Output Impedance

Power output is measured using 15 ohms load for maximum output current measurement, and 600 ohms load for maximum output voltage measurement. My simple digital oscilloscope doesn't do THD measurement, but it has FFT feature. Maximum output power criteria is maximum output at less than 1% THD. To estimate the maximum output voltage before the waveform get distorted, I visually monitor the waveform on the oscilloscope, and monitor the FFT window to check that the harmonic distortion is less than 40 dB (100 times) from the main frequency.

Headphone output with 15 ohms load, at volume -6.5 dB:

Headphone output with 15 ohms load, at volume -6.0 dB:

Maximum Output Voltage
6.8 Vrms at 600 ohms load

Maximum Output Current
3.2 Vrms at 15 ohms load
Max output current: 213 mA

Calculated maximum headphone power output:
1445 mW at 32 ohms
925 mW at 50 ohms
154 mW at 300 ohms
77 mW at 600 ohms

Headphone Amplifier Output Impedance: ≈0.26 ohms

Temperature

With class A headphone amplifier, the area around headphone output gets pretty warm after sometime, and I notice DA8II headphone output area is generally warmer than DA8. Just for comparison, operating in room temperature in Singapore (tropical country) which was around 29.5 degree Celsius during the time of measurement, I measured DA8II headphone socket was around 42.4 degree Celsius, while DA8 headphone socket was around 39.2 degree Celsius. Pretty warm, but not up to alarming hot. To place it in open area with some air circulation is recommended.

Channel Imbalance

Balance between Left and Right channels is very good on Yulong DA8II. Channel imbalance of headphone output around hearing level is very little to almost zero. And it is rises slightly only near maximum volume, but kept low below 0.2 dB. Channel imbalance measurement is using oscilloscope and 600 ohms load.

Brand / Model
Vol. Position
Hp Output (Vpp)
Imbalanced
(dB)
Left
Right
Yulong DA8II

-60 dB
22.400 mV
22.800 mV
-50 dB
64.000 mV
64.800 mV
-40 dB
-30 dB
-20 dB
-10 dB
-1.0 dB
0 dB

RMAA Test of Headphone Output

Please take note:
RMAA test is only as good as the quality of the audio interface used for the measurement. And in most cases, only useful for verification purpose of the audio quality within the 20Hz to 20 kHz range. For example, most audio interface line input only have linear frequency response up to around 20 kHz, or probably close to 50 kHz at higher sampling rate. So if I measure an amplifier with flat frequency response up to 100 kHz (which is common), RMAA test result using the 50 kHz audio interface will only shows frequency response up to 50 kHz. So in this case RMAA test result doesn't reflect the frequency response of the amplifier under test, but the frequency response of the line input of the audio interface. The same principle applies for the noise measurement. RMAA test result won’t be able to show noise measurement lower than the line input interface noise floor. For example, my HRT LineStreamer+ SNR is around 104 dB, so we can’t expect to see noise measurement result that is much lower than -104 dB (with a few dB margin) even if the line output of Yulong has 135 dB SNR. Once again, please take note, RMAA test is only for verification purpose that the audio equipment is working within the common reasonable specification, and not accurately reflecting the real specification of the equipment.

RMAA measurement in this review is done using RMAA 6.4.1 in 24 bit - 96 kHz, using HRT LineStreamer+ as the line input interface (ADC).

Specification of HRT LineStreamer+ :
Full Scale Sensitivity:                    2.25 Volts RMS
Input Impedance:                         5k Ohm
Frequency Response:                    (20 Hz/20 kHz)   +0 / -.4 dB
S/N Ratio (DC to 30 kHz):              104 dB
THD+N (1 kHz Full Scale):             .003%

Due to unknown reason, my Yulong DA8 RMAA result is showing abnormal level of distortion that in my opinion is not a valid test result to be shown. My DA8 so far is working fine, and showing good measurement result on oscilloscope, but somehow RMAA test failed for unknown reason. Therefore, I will only show RMAA result of Yulong DA8II, Mytek Stereo192-DSD, and LH Geek Pulse XFi.

RMAA 6.4.1 Test Result, comparison of:
Yulong DA8II Headphone Output
Mytek 192-dsd Headphone Output
LH Geek Pulse XFi Headphone Output

Summary

Test
Yulong DA8II Headphone Output
Mytek 192-dsd Headphone Output
LH Geek Pulse XFi Headphone Output
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:
+0.04, -0.13
+0.01, -0.05
-0.09, -0.21
Noise level, dB (A):
Dynamic range, dB (A):
THD, %:
IMD + Noise, %:
Stereo crosstalk, dB:

Frequency response

Noise level

Dynamic range

THD + Noise (at -3 dB FS)

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 25

Line Output

Sound Quality & Comparisons

I mainly used Violectric HPA V200 and Yulong A28 desktop amplifiers for the line output comparison, using the balanced XLR interconnects. Yulong A28 in general is a smooth and warm sounding solid state amplifier, while Violectric HPA V200 is neutral, dry sounding, slightly dark, and generally kind of the opposite of the A28 warm and smooth sound. I used quite a lot of headphones during the more than a month of testing, but for this comparison, I would limit to: Audio-Technica ATH-R70x, Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7LTD, Beyerdynamic T1, Shure SRH-1540, & Sennheiser HD-800.

Level adjustment was necessary due to different output levels from the 4 DACs.
Balanced line output Vpp (voltage between XLR pin 2 and pin 3), Left channel:
Yulong DA8II: 6.40 Volt
Yulong DA8: 6.48 Volt
Mytek Stereo192-DSD (analog volume 0 dB): 7.28 Volt
Mytek Stereo192-DSD (analog volume -1 dB): 6.48 Volt
Geek Pulse XFi: 5.60 Volt

Volume matching was done in accuracy of around 0.1 dB. Both Yulong DA8 and DA8II volume controls were set to ‘Bypass’. Mytek Stereo192-DSD line output was set to -1 dB using the build-in analogue volume control, and Geek Pulse XFi volume was set to 0 dB, and adjustment was done on the desktop amplifier volume control.

One feature to be mentioned here is the Pure DAC mode which bypasses the digital volume control for the line output. On previous DA8 pressing the volume button will immediately disconnect the headphone amplifier and bypass the digital volume control for the line output. Still the same on DA8II, but now with 1 second delay. So we have to press the volume button for about 1 second to activate the Pure DAC mode. 1 second delay on DA8II is the better implementation, to avoid accidental pressing of the volume button and bypassing the volume control.

Comparison with Yulong DA8

Comparing the differences of the line output sound signature between DA8 and DA8II is not so easy, as they sound pretty close to each other. I only observed some mild refinement and differences in tonality, which is still in line with what I observed earlier from the headphone output, but in a lesser degree. Most noticeable is the higher detail resolving power of DA8II as compared to DA8.

Compared to Yulong DA8, I do prefer the Yulong DA8II for pairing with Yulong A28 amplifier. The more neutral tonality and the higher level of clarity of DA8II match really well with the smooth and warm sound signature of Yulong A28. I feel my old DA8 is a touch too warm for A28, resulting an overall warm sound that is generally a little too warm for my taste.

While using dryer sounding amplifier like my Violectric HPA V200, my old DA8 line output competes well with the new DA8II. I had hard time deciding which one sounds better with the HPA V200. Finally I would say it is a tie. Both sound equally good, with only very slight differences in tonality. The fatter bass and slightly warmer signature of the old DA8 match the neutral-dry signature of HPA V200, especially for neutral-analytics headphones such as T1 and HD800. And DA8II + HPA V200 sound really good on neutral to warmer headphones such as ATH-R70x and SRH1540.

Comparison with LH Geek Pulse XFi

Comparing the Yulong DA8II and Geek Pulse XFi line output is much easier. Sound signature is quite different between the two. Geek Pulse XFi sounds fatter, warmer, more body around bass and midrange, with slightly more laid back presentation. Yulong DA8II is faster, punchier, more transparent, higher perceived detail, with more forward presentation. Geek Pulse XFi sound signature is closer to the old DA8, with even slightly fatter bass. While XFi sounds more relaxing, DA8II sounds more energetic. Playing Mombasa, soundtrack from Inception, XFi bass is fatter and more powerful, with more sub bass rumble. DA8II bass is slightly faster, punchier, with slightly better texture, but less sub bass rumble. Overall DA8II has better spaciousness, higher level of perceived detail, and dynamic. Especially for warmer sounding headphones such as Shure SRH-1540 & Audio-Technica ATH-R70x Yulong DA8II is a better source than Geek Pulse XFi. While faster, brighter, and more analytic headphones such as ATH-MSR7, T1, and HD800 do benefit from the fatter bass and slightly warmer signature of XFi line output.

As for amplifier for Pulse XFi, I did have good time with both Violectric HPA V200 and Yulong A28. While I do generally prefer Violectric HPA V200 for Geek Pulse XFi, as you might guess, Yulong A28 is a little too warm for Geek Pulse XFi.

What I consider lacking on Geek Pulse XFi is the Pure DAC mode like in DA8II, to bypass the digital volume control for the line output.

I did enjoy both about equally. With proper mix and match, they are both excellent DACs, and equally good sonically. Though technically, the slightly faster and more transparent sounding Yulong DA8II can be considered better. But musically, they have their own strength, depending on equipment matching and personal preferences.

Comparison with Mytek Stereo192-DSD

It took me quite some time to compare Mytek Stereo192-DSD and Yulong DA8II as the different is not very obvious. I have to frequently move the XLR cable back and forth between Yulong DA8II and Mytek. Mytek 192-DSD is a tad more analytic with slightly more emphasize on detail, while Yulong DA8II sounds a tad more refined with slightly smoother treble, less treble glare. DA8II is also slightly better in instrument separation and holographic imaging. But to be honest, the differences are mild, and need some time to differentiate the differences of sound signature between the two. Both are neutral sounding DACs with similar detail resolving power. Hardware matching for both DA8II and Mytek 192-DSD are more or less quite similar.

Channel Imbalance

The line output level of the Left and Right channel are perfectly matched, and I didn’t observe any channel imbalance, only very slight imbalance at minimum volume of -60 dB which is expected to be totally silent, but actually not. It is as what is indicated, -60dB, but not totally 0 output voltage. At -60 dB there is still around 2.3 mV output when playing full scale sine wave. 2.3 mV is a very low signal, so there is nothing to worry about; it is practically silent for most system. Geek Pulse XFi digital volume goes down to -127.5 dB. But practically below -60 dB we can consider no sound. So there is not much of use of the extra attenuation range below -60 dB. What I think would be more useful is a dedicated mute button like on Mytek 192-DSD, where one of the function button can be assigned as mute button. It is much more useful than the not so useful extra attenuation on the volume control.

Table of line out Left and Right channels peak-to-peak output voltage (unbalanced RCA output):
Brand / Model​
Vol. Position​
Line Output (Vpp)​
Imbalanced​
(dB)​
Left​
Right​
Yulong DA8II​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
-60 dB​
7.600 mV​
7.800 mV​
-0.23​
-50 dB​
21.200 mV​
21.200 mV​
0.00​
-40 dB​
64.000 mV​
64.000 mV​
0.00​
-30 dB​
0.204​
0.204​
0.00​
-20 dB​
0.656​
0.656​
0.00​
-10 dB​
2.040​
2.040​
0.00​
0 dB​
6.400​
6.400​
0.00​

RMAA Test of Line Output

RMAA test is only done for the unbalanced RCA output, since my HRT LineStreamer+ ADC only has RCA unbalanced input. It is a direct connection from line output to line input using Atlas Equator MKIII Integra RCA cable (0.5m).

As mentioned earlier, please take note that RMAA test is only for verification purpose that the equipment is working in generally acceptable specification, and not for the purpose of accurately showing the real specification of the equipment.

Yulong DA8II Line Output (Slow Filter)
Mytek 192-dsd Line Output (Slow Filter)
LH Geek Pulse XFi Line Output (FTM Digital Mode)

Summary

Test
Yulong DA8 II LO - Slow - 24-96
Mytek 192-dsd LO - Slow - 24-96
LH Geek Pulse XFi LO - FTM - 24-96
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:
+0.03, -0.13
+0.01, -0.07
+0.04, -0.31
Noise level, dB (A):
Dynamic range, dB (A):
THD, %:
IMD + Noise, %:
Stereo crosstalk, dB:

Frequency response

Noise level

Dynamic range

I notice THD result at 0.046% is rather high on Yulong DA8II line output result, and this is inconsistent with the Yulong DA8II headphone output THD which is only showing around 0.0059% THD. The result in my opinion is not accurate, as line output is usually has lower THD or at least close to headphone output THD. I prefer not to hide any measurement result, but readers please take note, that the above test result on Yulong DA8II line output is most probably inaccurate. The result for noise level most probably is inaccurate as well. The deviation from the RMAA result of the headphone output is too far. I will ask Yulong to advice on this result, and I will update this part once I got any feedback from Yulong.

12 September 2015 - RMAA Measurement Result Update

The previous RMAA result of Yulong DA8II RCA output was showing a rather high noise level. After some troubleshooting and testing, it seems caused by ground loop. When other equipment power and USB connections were disconnected, the measurement result improved significantly. 

Home RMAA measurement often affected by many external factors, therefore not a reliable measurement result. I would like to emphasize one more time, the following RMAA measurement result is only for verification purposes, and not showing the real specification of the products.

Here is the updated RMAA measurement result:

Summary

TestYulong DA8II - LO - Slow - 24-96Mytek 192-dsd LO - Slow - 24-96LH Geek Pulse XFi LO - FTM - 24-96
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:+0.02, -0.14+0.01, -0.07+0.04, -0.31
Noise level, dB (A):-102.6-100.2-106.3
Dynamic range, dB (A):102.6100.2105.6
THD, %:0.0170.00920.0030
IMD + Noise, %:0.0220.00830.0032
Stereo crosstalk, dB:-85.0-96.7-100.7

Frequency response

Noise level

Dynamic range

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 25

Features

Both Yulong DA8 and DA8ii have all the important features as desktop DAC for home use. Support wide range of both PCM and DSD format, enough input selections, equipped with both unbalanced and balanced output, powerful headphone output, and volume control bypass for line output. Volume control is digital volume control in the range of -60 dB to 0 dB attenuation. From -60 dB to -20 dB, the volume adjustment is 1 dB per step. But from -20 dB to 0 dB, the step gets finer to 0.5 dB per step. So in total there are 80 steps. The volume knob is speed sensitive. When turned faster it will make greater adjustment, while slower speed is for finer adjustment. From the 4 DACs, I feel that Yulong DA8 and DA8II volume knob have the best response. Mytek volume knob response also feels good, but the volume knob is a little too small. While Geek Pulse XFi volume knob response with 2 steps turn to make 1 step adjustment, sometime can be felt a little too slow when making fine adjustment.

Comparing to Geek Pulse XFi, more or less they have the same features. Main difference is the balanced headphone output of Geek Pulse XFi. And Geek Pulse XFi doesn’t have volume control bypass for the line output. Probably at this price category it is time for Yulong DA8 series to be equipped with balanced headphone output.

Feature wise, between the 4 DACs, Mytek Stereo192-DSD is clearly the winner. Yulong DA8, DA8ii, and Geek Pulse XFi offer common DAC features, but Mytek Stereo192-DSD that is aimed for studio mastering DAC is way ahead of the other DACs in term of features.

One feature from Mytek that in my opinion is very useful is the volume control management. It offers both digital and digitally controlled analogue volume control, and very flexible volume control for both line out and headphone output. For example, in analogue mode, Mytek offers independent volume control for headphone output and line output, which is very useful in studio when using speaker and headphone. Both can be adjusted to similar loudness at the same time, without having to turn the volume back and forth. Volume control bypass for line output is also available (Geek Pulse XFi doesn't have volume bypass feature). Besides that, Mytek has many other features for pro audio that might not be relevant for home user, such as Word Clock input and output, etc.

Table of features:

Features Yulong DA8IIYulong DA8Mytek Stereo192-DSDLH Geek Pulse Xfi 
Power Switch LocationFrontFrontFrontBack
AC or DC input powerACACACDC 12V
DAC ChipESS9018ESS9018ESS9016Two ESS9018K2M
Upsampling OptionNoNoYesNo
Digital Filters (PCM)Slow, SharpSlow, SharpSlow, SharpTCM, FRM, SSM, FTM
Digital Filters (DSD)50kHz, 60kHz, 70kHz50kHz, 60kHz, 70kHz50kHz, 60kHz, 70kHz?
Option to enable / disable Jitter EliminatorYesYesNo (Enabled)No (Enabled)
Word Clock Input and OutputNoNoYesNo
Digital Volume ControlYes (60 dB range)Yes (60 dB range)Yes (100 dB range)Yes (127.5 dB range)
Analogue Volume ControlNoNoYes (100 dB range)No
LO & HO Independent Volume ControlNoNoYesNo
InputsUSB 2.0, AES/EBU, TOSLINK, S/PDIFUSB 2.0, AES/EBU, TOSLINK, S/PDIFUSB 1.1, USB 2.0, Firewire, AES/EBU, TOSLINK, S/PDIF, Analogue RCAUSB 2.0, AES/EBU,
TOSLINK, 2x S/PDIF
Supported PCM Sample Rates44.1 kHz; 48 kHz; 88.2 kHz; 96 kHz; 176.4 kHz; 192 kHz; 352.8 kHz; 384 kHz44.1 kHz; 48 kHz; 88.2 kHz; 96 kHz; 176.4 kHz; 192 kHz; 352.8 kHz; 384 kHz44.1 kHz; 48 kHz; 88.2 kHz; 96 kHz; 176.4 kHz; 192 kHz44.1 kHz; 48 kHz; 88.2 kHz; 96 kHz; 176.4 kHz; 192 kHz; 352.8 kHz; 384 kHz
Supported PCM Bit Depths16, 24, and 32-bit16, 24, and 32-bit16, 24, and 32-bit16, 24, and 32-bit
Supported DSD FormatsDSD64, DSD128DSD64, DSD128DSD64, DSD128DSD64, DSD128
Line OutputsUnbalanced (RCA),
Balanced (XLR)
Unbalanced (RCA),
Balanced (XLR)
Unbalanced (RCA),
Balanced (XLR)
Unbalanced (RCA),
Balanced (XLR)
Variable Line OutputYesYesYesYes
Volume Control Bypass for Line OutputYesYesYesNo
Headphone OutputsUnbalanced (TRS)Unbalanced (TRS)Unbalanced (TRS)Unbalanced (TRS),
Balanced (4 pins XLR)
Headphone Outputs Max Voltage & Current6.8 Vrms & 213 mA6.6 Vrms & 208 mA 5 or 10 Vrms & 500 mA6.1 Vrms & 336 mA
Measured Headphone Output Impedance≈0.26 ohms≈0.26 ohms≈5.25 ohms≈0.13 ohms
Headphone Amplifier Gain AdjustmentNoNoNoYes : Low, Med, High
Balanced Headphone OutputNoNoNoYes
Remote Control OptionNoNoYesYes

Notes: The ‘Headphone Outputs Max Voltage & Current’ and ‘Headphone Output Impedance’ data are measured value by me, not the official specification by the respective brands. Only the maximum output current of the Mytek Stereo192-DSD headphone output is taken from Mytek official specification. The reason is, I have set the internal jumper in my Mytek to -6 dB output; therefore, the maximum headphone output voltage of the current setting is only up to 5 volt rms. When using my 15 ohms dummy load, the 500 mA should be measured with the jumper setting set to 0 dB. I didn’t have to time to re-open the casing of my Mytek to set the jumper back to 0 dB, therefore I took the max current specification from Mytek website.

Digital Filter & Jitter Eliminator

Most of the DACs offer 2 modes of digital filter, Slow and Sharp. But Geek Pulse XFi offers 4 modes (they call it digital mode): TCM, FRM, SSM, & FTM. While the effect of slow and sharp filters can be clearly observed on square wave playback, due to unknown reason, all the 4 digital modes of Geek Pulse XFi don’t show any observable differences on square wave playback. I’m not sure if it is a normal behaviour of Geek Pulse XFi digital modes, or if it is a bug in the firmware.

Below is the oscilloscope screenshot of 12 kHz square wave playback at 600 ohms load, using different filters.

Yulong DA8II Slow filter:

Yulong DA8II Sharp filter:

Yulong DA8 Slow filter:

Yulong DA8 Sharp filter:

Mytek Stereo192-DSD Slow filter:

Mytek Stereo192-DSD Sharp filter:

Geek Pulse XFi FTM mode (all other modes, TCM, FRM, & SSM, showing similar result):

Yulong DA8II Line Output Frequency Response of Slow and Sharp Filters:

From the above oscilloscope screenshots, we can see that by default Geek Pulse XFi is using sharper filter than other DACs. Geek Pulse XFi FTM digital mode is even sharper than Yulong DA8II sharp filter.

As for the Jitter Eliminator, honestly I cannot claim that I can hear the difference between Jitter Eliminator On and Bypass. Probably I hear a little different, but at the level that I’m not convinced about it. In Bypass setting, it seems that it is a tad livelier, and when it is ON, it is probably sounding a tad ‘reserved’. But the level of differences is almost negligible. So basically any setting sounds good to me. Jitter eliminator is by default activated in Mytek Stereo192-DSD and Geek Pulse XFi, but Yulong gave the option to disable it. So I suspect Yulong team might hear the difference using their test system, and both options of Jitter Eliminator, ON or Bypass, actually sound equally good. Therefore Yulong gave the option to disable it, to let the users to choose their preferred setting.

The almost 2 months experience with Yulong DA8II was a great experience. I’ve yet to decide whether to upgrade my old Yulong DA8 to Yulong DA8II. One thing for sure, Yulong DA8II is truly an excellent DAC + Headphone Amplifier combo.

Additional Information and Updates:

Yulong DA8II Reviews

Equipment used in this review:

Headphones:
Audio-Technica ATH-R70x
Audio-Technica MSR7LTD
Beyerdynamic T 1
Hifiman HE-6
Sennheiser HD 800
Shure SRH1540

Earphones / IEMs:
1964 Ears V3
DUNU DN-1000
DUNU DN-2000
DUNU DN-2000J

DACs, ADC, & Headphone Amplifiers:
HRT LineStreamer +
Light Harmonic Geek Pulse XFi
Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC (firmware 1.8.1)
Violectric HPA V200
Yulong DA8
Yulong A28

Cables:
Atlas Equator MKIII Integra RCA cable (0.5m)
Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 2 Meters
QED Reference Audio Evolution XLR cable (DIY 40 cm cable)
Wireworld Equinox XLR cable (DIY 40 cm cable)
Custom DIY cables

Computer & Player:
DIY Desktop PC: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H-MVP motherboard, Intel i7-3770, 16 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1.
foobar2000 v1.3.3

Measurement Instrument & Application:
Amprobe Digital Multimeter AM-160
Amprobe Pocket Meter PM51A
Owon VDS3102 Digital Storage Oscilloscope

Some recordings used in this review:

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 25
  Whoa... A review masterpiece!!! 

Thank you! 
smile.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 25
How a review should be done, awesome. Even though its totally out of my price league i ended up just reading, 2 bad im a noob to understand some points but most of it was pretty clear.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 25
  How a review should be done, awesome. Even though its totally out of my price league i ended up just reading, 2 bad im a noob to understand some points but most of it was pretty clear.

Not just pie in the sky opinions, but measurements to back them up. This is how a review should be done!

Thanks guys! 
smile.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 25

12 September 2015 - RMAA Measurement Result Update

The previous RMAA result of Yulong DA8II RCA output was showing a rather high noise level. After some troubleshooting and testing, it seems caused by ground loop. When other equipment power and USB connections were disconnected, the measurement result improved significantly. 

Home RMAA measurement often affected by many external factors, therefore not a reliable measurement result. I would like to emphasize one more time, the following RMAA measurement result is only for verification purposes, and not showing the real specification of the products.

Here is the updated RMAA measurement result:

Summary

TestYulong DA8II - LO - Slow - 24-96Mytek 192-dsd LO - Slow - 24-96LH Geek Pulse XFi LO - FTM - 24-96
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:+0.02, -0.14+0.01, -0.07+0.04, -0.31
Noise level, dB (A):-102.6-100.2-106.3
Dynamic range, dB (A):102.6100.2105.6
THD, %:0.0170.00920.0030
IMD + Noise, %:0.0220.00830.0032
Stereo crosstalk, dB:-85.0-96.7-100.7

Graphs are on the Line Output measurement section.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 25
  wow what a great write up!

Were all of these comparisons to the geek pulse without the LPS?
The pulse xfi without the LPS seemed to do pretty well!

Yes that's right. No LPS.
I'm getting kind of USB isolator device, still on delivery. I will test it on XFi later.
I like the sound signature of the XFi, smooth with good depth and imaging.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 25
  Will the USB isolator limit down the DAC back into UAC1?
ph34r.gif

My current cheap USB isolator from Hifimediy limit the compatibility to UAC1. I bought a different one from AE that seems can be used for higher resolution. I'm not sure about it, to be tested later when it is delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back