Yulong's new DA8
May 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #91 of 544
Quote:

I'm working on the Firestone Audio Tobby review at the moment. Hope to have it done in the next week or so. I have no idea how it will compare to the new DA8 but it does put up a good fight to the NuForce DAC-100 and the Matrix X-Sabre, which are priced at the same $1,100 as the Tobby. Sneak preview: The Firestone unit has a bit more focus towards speed, detail, leading edges, though I don't consider it bright in general. It can sound better than the DAC-100 or X-Sabre in some systems, but significantly worse in other configurations.

I am eagerly waiting for that review and hold all my question on Tobby for that topic (with hope I will find somewhere in the review if it's good synergy for systems similar to Svetlana2 + W3000ANV), I don't want to spam this thread with stuff related to other device any further. However, for europeans Tobby is priced significantly below X-Sabre (and DA8 for that matter); 700 EUR inc. VAT+shipping for Tobby, X-Sabre is 845 EUR (without shipping, which will add couple of tens of euros as well) but + ~20% for extra import charges/VAT on top of that; roughly 400EUR difference by my calculations. Unless X-Sabre can be shipped for 845 EUR from within EU (which unfortunately seems unlikely). Gosh, I hate all these continental differences (a bit off-topic on this matter: lately I wanted to buy VTI BL404BC rack, which can be found in US for around $250; in EU it is sold only in Netherlands for 399e + ~60e for shipping to Slovakia. That makes it more than 2 times pricier than it actually is...). Sometimes I wish I had smaller obsession with audio and less expensive hobby :D

May 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #92 of 544
It'll be interesting to see how the USB implementation is in the DA8. The Amanero board seems to be used in several upcoming DACs.

May 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #94 of 544
Quote:
I am eagerly waiting for that review and hold all my question on Tobby for that topic (with hope I will find somewhere in the review if it's good synergy for systems similar to Svetlana2 + W3000ANV), I don't want to spam this thread with stuff related to other device any further. However, for europeans Tobby is priced significantly below X-Sabre (and DA8 for that matter); 700 EUR inc. VAT+shipping for Tobby, X-Sabre is 845 EUR (without shipping, which will add couple of tens of euros as well) but + ~20% for extra import charges/VAT on top of that; roughly 400EUR difference by my calculations. Unless X-Sabre can be shipped for 845 EUR from within EU (which unfortunately seems unlikely). Gosh, I hate all these continental differences (a bit off-topic on this matter: lately I wanted to buy VTI BL404BC rack, which can be found in US for around $250; in EU it is sold only in Netherlands for 399e + ~60e for shipping to Slovakia. That makes it more than 2 times pricier than it actually is...). Sometimes I wish I had smaller obsession with audio and less expensive hobby :D

I know a vendor who sell the Sabre for ~799 GBP (roughly 1k EUR) who is based on UK so no import tax. The actual item is still imported from China, but I think they do something with the paperwork. Also you can ask Matrix (and Yulong too for that matter) to declare a low value (or some other methods I'm not sure if I'm allow to mention here) to avoid import tax.

Amanero is good. I have the Lampi (Amanero USB tapped from its own transformer), and the Eximus Dp1 (another OEM Xmos board). Both sounds quite spectacular from USB input, I'd say on the Amanero is on the same level with the AP1 I used to own.

I think the main reason for the Amanerro popularity is the price. If I remember correctly, the bulk sale price of the Amanerro is ~40 Eur, cheapest of all Xmos solution (comparing to say the 400 bucks ExaDevice USB module).

May 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #95 of 544
Declaring low value has no effect in our country, at least not when it looks suspicious (like having 3kg package with huge amp in it with claimed value of $50). Despite the fact buro workers aren't the smartest ones, they often like to ask recipients for bills, official invoices and/or transfer details (in most cases they require transfer details from bank and paypal payment details). I imported dac, amp and 2 headphones from overseas and every time they required bank transfer details and paypal payment for import tax/VAT calculation. In my last transaction I asked seller to split paypal payments into two - one with 50$ dollars and second one for the rest (so I present myself only with the first one). However, It was second-hand buying, I don't think any serious business (Yulong, Matrix...) would do such thing. However, for my next purchase I am thinking of falsifying those details directly in HTML details (it's not a problem to change HTML element value and then make a pdf of it), but it still has to be believable, like instead of $1499 going with $499.

However, you are right, I found reseller in EU that is selling X-Sabre for 899 EUR (french one - http://www.audiophonics.fr/matrix-xsabre-dac-usb-32bit384khz-dsd-dxd-dac-audio-p-7415.html ), so the price difference is now less significant. Maybe they will include Yulong DA8 as well, they actually have D18 in their sortiment. But I am still interested in shootout between X-Sabre, DA8 and Tobby, It will surely be interesting read (and my head will explode from not being able to make a final decision on which one to get :D )

May 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #96 of 544
Haha. I actually imported the He-6 using similar methods (declaring as 200 bucks/used/gift) - and no paperwork inside the parcel, paid only 8 GBP handling fee. I'm sure Yulong/Sabre will agree to your request of splitting the invoice too - I did something similar with other Chinese and Korean sellers ($300 keyboard, but the first invoice included only states the delivery fee + 10% of real value; the second invoice was sent via email only). From my experience, they'll do whatever you want with custom form and invoice, as long as you paid in full. I remember a few years ago, Kingwa shipped a Ref 7 (15kg Dac) marked as shampoo sample.

Also nice to see you move to the W3000anv. I remember your rig back when you had the W1000, very nice pic of woodies and the sunrise amp + nfb 12 in the picture thread 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #98 of 544
Quote:
Also nice to see you move to the W3000anv. I remember your rig back when you had the W1000, very nice pic of woodies and the sunrise amp + nfb 12 in the picture thread 
bigsmile_face.gif

Yulong/Matrix stuff can be bought in ger/fra, so this issue is covered. I will need to ask Analog Design if they could split payments for me (for Svetlana 2), I would prefer not paying 22% from $1499 to our customs.
Btw, you got good memory, indeed it was me with W1000X+NFB12+Sunrise :) I own W3000ANV for a year already but I am keeping it in box because I just don't have heart to plug them into that poor system. I currently don't really listen to music on home rig since I am in process of selling my current chain to finance all my upgrades (for now I am selling Sunrise and W1000X, I may keep NFB12 as an emergency backup). I have some money on my account, some are on the way but I still need that extra cash from selling what I currently have on my desk, and that's not an easy task where I live.

May 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #99 of 544
Quote:
I own W3000ANV for a year already but I am keeping it in box because I just don't have heart to plug them into that poor system.

Wow, you might be the person with the most self-control I've ever seen 
size]

May 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #100 of 544
MrCasey, I would be very interested in your thoughts on how the DA8 compares to the Lynx Hilo, as I'm currently saving up for a Hilo now. TIA for any impressions you could share!

May 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #101 of 544
Quote:
MrCasey, I would be very interested in your thoughts on how the DA8 compares to the Lynx Hilo, as I'm currently saving up for a Hilo now. TIA for any impressions you could share!

I have the Hilo currently running in my headphone system for just that purpose. The Hilo is normally set up in 2 channel system in my listening room.  I am upgrading the drivers on my speakers so I thought I might as well enjoy the Hilo with headphones.  I just received my LCD 3’s so I want to become accustomed to that change before I start making any other comparisons.  This should all time out quite well.  Hope to see the DA8 by the end of the month???

May 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #102 of 544
That's AWESOME!! Color me jealous :wink:. Please do post your thoughts when you've had a chance to compare them, as I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd enjoy reading them :)

Killer setup, man. Beautiful!!

May 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #103 of 544
Well, just pre-ordered one from Grant Fidelity with the D230 power cord as well...hopefully this will be a good all-in-one solution I can take off to medical school with me.

May 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #104 of 544
Quote:
Well, just pre-ordered one from Grant Fidelity with the D230 power cord as well...hopefully this will be a good all-in-one solution I can take off to medical school with me.

Nice, let us know how it is. Are you thinking of selling your NFB-1.32? I think I sent you a PM about it a couple days ago 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back