Yulong's new DA8
May 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #124 of 544
All Yulong DA8 pre-orders have been shipped. Should arrive to most countries in 5-7 business days but Russia may take longer due to customs speed. 

Thank you for everyone's support! 

Best, 
Rachel @ Grant Fidelity 

May 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #125 of 544
And now we get to start enjoying the initial impressions and subsequent reviews as the come in... I love my own gear whoredom. :)

May 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #127 of 544
My DA8 has arrived, pairing with the A18.

I'll refrain from giving my impressions as Yulong gave me a big favour in upgrading my D18 to DA8 free of charge, so my comments could be biased
beyersmile.png

May 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #129 of 544
Quote:
My DA8 has arrived, pairing with the A18.

I'll refrain from giving my impressions as Yulong gave me a big favour in upgrading my D18 to DA8 free of charge, so my comments could be biased
beyersmile.png

Come on guy, don't withhold your report and your first impressions from us. Especially your comparisson between your recent D18 and the new D8 would be very appreciated - even it would be biased. Thanks in advance...

May 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #130 of 544
Any words on general character? That review was a bit difficult to decipher with the google translate. I was getting the impression that the DA8 isn't as warm as the D18, but it still maintains a "soft" character.. or I could have been reading it completely wrong.

May 26, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #133 of 544
Quote:
Come on guy, don't withhold your report and your first impressions from us. Especially your comparisson between your recent D18 and the new D8 would be very appreciated - even it would be biased. Thanks in advance...

To my ears (and I don't have golden ears), D18 is a DAC which provides a good level of details and definition, and at the same time maintain a smoothness at the top, which makes listening very enjoyable and never fatiguing. It's also warming sounding.

DA8 is a similar kind of DAC, and it just pushes the envelope further - it provides an extremely high level of details and definition, yet it's having a feeling of smoothness. The difference in resolution of details are more apparent when 24/192K files are played. It's also slightly warm sounding but less than D18 I would say.

The internal headamp of the DA8 is pretty good also, it's more neutral than A18, has a bigger sound stage and better bass control than A100 - and I even prefer the DA8 output than the A18 output for Norah Jones.

All my comments are based on the settings: +ve phase, Sharp filter mode, bypass Jitter Eliminator and PCM only (still haven't figure out how to make DSD work in my Linux rig)

May 26, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #134 of 544
Thanks for the input.  It seems as though Yulong has keep the flavor of the house sound while also improving resolution.  I suspect filter/jitter buttons will have an effect.  Great to have the options though.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back