ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 11, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #796 of 6,751
Together at last! Aeolus arrived today

9939939_l.jpg

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #800 of 6,751
1 of 1 Aeolus & prob “first” in the world :p

EmIlAHh_d.jpg

Nice, I love the brass grille and rod on a dark wood. That's what I want when I order the Aeolus. Gotta receive my Eikon Burl first though!

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #804 of 6,751
Joined the ZMF club only recently with the Autuer.
Now i find myself with the Aeolus :)
Aeolus.jpeg

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #806 of 6,751
So the general concensus is that Verite pads are the one to go for over stock Aeolus/Universe pads?
Don't think there's a consensus. I remember reading comments early on (by Zach himself?) that it's about a 50-50 split in preference between Universe and Verite pads on the Aeolus. I have both. My mind wants to prefer the verite pads (I like the idea of linearity) but my heart and soul is drawn towards universe pads. As a result, I've spent more time with the universe pads. Like many things in this hobby, I think the pad choice is somewhat related/dependent on music genre preference and hardware stack. Above all else, I like having the option to swap them out and hear things differently.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #807 of 6,751
I'm going to list my Liquid Platinum and Woo WA2 amps for sale in the next few weeks. Both these amps are great with the Aeolus (and other ZMF headphones). I thought I'd give ZMF owners first crack, so hit me up with a PM if your interested.

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #808 of 6,751
Ive had the Aeolus for 2 days.
I don't quite like the stock Aeolus pads, and i much prefer the Verite pads
Stock pads are 'fun' sounding but it has too much bass for me.
Switching to the Verite pads allow for a flatter bass response, much closer to neutral and this is the sound signature that i prefer.
Ive heard good things about the Universal Suede pads from the other place, so i ordered one and am still waiting for it to arrive.
Compared to my Auteurs(with Auteur pads), they are more intimate, darker, richer and more full of that nice organic warmth.
It also sounds like a more intimate modded HD6XX, with the same tonality.
For now these are my early impressions, will post more when i have more time to listen. So far these complement my auteurs perfectly for a musical, all-genre headphone

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #809 of 6,751
I'm going to list my Liquid Platinum and Woo WA2 amps for sale in the next few weeks. Both these amps are great with the Aeolus (and other ZMF headphones). I thought I'd give ZMF owners first crack, so hit me up with a PM if your interested.
I am curious - which amp are you going forward with?

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #810 of 6,751
I am curious - which amp are you going forward with?

Well, I don't need the LP anymore because I have the amp it's based off of, Liquid Crimson. I'm getting a Glenn Super OTL built for me to replace the WA2.

...and I also have a DNA Stratus and a Liquid Gold. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back