ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #1,996 of 6,751
ZMF is evil :grimacing:. I'm trying very hard not to think about the sale. How am I supposed to keep those Camphor Burl Aeolus out of my head (those are ridiculous, the good kind of ridiculous)? Good thing I have way too much work to do, it's my only shot at being responsible.
I couldn't resist... I just placed an order for the Aeolus LTD!

Nov 22, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,998 of 6,751
Those are going to be awesome. My next ZMF is supposed to be a Verite of some kind, but that Aeolus LTD wood, with a magnesium chassis to make them lighter? That's really tempting.
I can't wait. They generally look better in person so I can't wait to open the box.

The Verite is a bit out of my price range. I was tempted.

Nov 22, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #2,000 of 6,751
Nov 22, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #2,001 of 6,751
I couldn't resist... I just placed an order for the Aeolus LTD!

You're going to love that headphone...

I saw several camphor burl Eikons at CanJam NYC earlier this year and was gobsmacked by that gorgeous wood.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #2,002 of 6,751
You're going to love that headphone...

I saw several camphburl Eikons at CanJam NYC earlier this year and was gobsmacked by that gorgeous wood.
I bet the larger wood surface area of the closed back look awesome.

Nov 22, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #2,003 of 6,751
I bet the larger wood surface area of the closed back look awesome.

Funny you'd say that. It's quite true. That big Atticus/Eikon earcup is probably the largest expanse of wood in any headphone.

I have a padauk Eikon that's stunning to look at (sometimes put on a bright light on just to oogle it). Each earcup is a large chunk of exotic hardwood, perfectly finished (& sounding terrific, naturally).

But padauk earcups in an open back ZMF would look rather different...you'd have to pick just the right screen metal to gel w/that reddish purple wood.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #2,005 of 6,751
Anyone has an idea or a guess whether Wa7 with tube power supply would be a good match for Aeolus?
If not any suggestions for an amp for classic rock?
Hmm. . .an amp for classic rock, that goes well with Aeolus? The Bottlehead Crack Speedball, is glorious with classic rock, and has good body and soul needed for that type of music. I love me some classic rock, by the way. One of my all time favorite songs is, From the Beginning by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and sounds incredibly good with that combo.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #2,006 of 6,751
Hmm. . .an amp for classic rock, that goes well with Aeolus? The Bottlehead Crack Speedball, is glorious with classic rock, and has good body and soul needed for that type of music. I love me some classic rock, by the way. One of my all time favorite songs is, From the Beginning by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and sounds incredibly good with that combo.
Thanks. I have had my eyes on Bottlehead Crack in the sale section for a while. Still waiting for a good deal, suggested by another head fier, "$350 for a good condition with Speed ball and 550 for Speed ball+lots of upgrades!"
Seem hard to find them though. : D

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #2,007 of 6,751
Anyone has an idea or a guess whether Wa7 with tube power supply would be a good match for Aeolus?
If not any suggestions for an amp for classic rock?

I had a Woo WA22 for a time (transformer-coupled, powerful amp) & still have the Woo WA3 (modest but very nice-sounding OTL). I heard the Aeolus briefly on the WA22 (heavenly sound, really special) & WA3 (a well-controlled, pleasing sound).

I can't speak to the DAC portion of the WA7 -- but based on my Woo experience, the amp sections will please you a lot on the Aeolus.

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #2,009 of 6,751
The temptations from the ZMF November sales event overcame the objections of my wallet and I ordered a Sapele Aeolus. I've been lurking here a while and Im excited to finally join the club!

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back