ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 30, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #2,281 of 6,756
There's no right order there IMO.

I was fortunate enough to see Jeff Beck & SRV on tour (I'm showing my age I know), and they switched opening slots each night of the tour. I'd never heard of Stevie before that tour, so I was like who the heck is he to have Jeff open? Then I heard him play. Holy shirt that was a great concert.

My point being at that level of talent, it don't matter who opens...it's more a marketing decision I think.
Well said, and I am jealous you got to see SRV live! :wink: I love Jeff Beck too, but SRV is one of my favorites.

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #2,283 of 6,756
Seemed like a logical order to me.:wink:
Still a VERY BIG ouch!
Here’s the thing and of course it’s all opinion. Satriani is a popular mainstream guitarist and is “ok” IMO. He couldn’t hold a candle in musicianship, technical proficiency, writing, yadda yadda yadda versus any player in DT. He’s kinda bubblegum. But that’s the way it goes in commercial music. The best musicians in the world are unknowns where they don’t put out snappy 3 minute songs where the attention span doesn’t need to be held. Theres some damn good melodic, technical, well written music from people who just don’t get a break. Again, it’s my opinion and that’s all the matters to me. Now when you talk about Beck and Vaughn, they can play circles around Satriani.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #2,284 of 6,756
Still a VERY BIG ouch!
Here’s the thing and of course it’s all opinion. Satriani is a popular mainstream guitarist and is “ok” IMO. He couldn’t hold a candle in musicianship, technical proficiency, writing, yadda yadda yadda versus any player in DT. He’s kinda bubblegum. But that’s the way it goes in commercial music. The best musicians in the world are unknowns where they don’t put out snappy 3 minute songs where the attention span doesn’t need to be held. Theres some damn good melodic, technical, well written music from people who just don’t get a break. Again, it’s my opinion and that’s all the matters to me. Now when you talk about Beck and Vaughn, they can play circles around Satriani.
I agree with everything you said.

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #2,285 of 6,756
Wow, you all rock with the music selections. @Wes S loved the tracks you shared, made my evening!

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #2,286 of 6,756
Wow, you all rock with the music selections. @Wes S loved the tracks you shared, made my evening!
Hey man! That is awesome, you enjoyed those tracks and that it made your evening! It sure is fun, to experience the wonder of the Aeolus and good music, with you all. :o2smile:

Feb 15, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #2,288 of 6,756
Is there anything that doesn't sound fabulous on Aeolus?

No, there isn't. I had my friend's Aeolus on loan 3 times over the past year (weeks if not months each time)...I honestly never found any genre of music, or even specific tracks, where the Aeolus sounded "just OK." The Aeolus always combines an extremely fun/engaging sound w/more than enough "technicalities" (in the manner of TOTL headphones).

I certainly heard different headphones better the Aeolus in this or that sonic characteristic on this or that cut. But no other headphone I've heard consistently betters the Aeolus in overall sonic capability and capability to create musical satisfaction.

I had VC & VO loaners for weeks several months ago (both are quite amazing); previously owned an Empyrean & LCD-3. Yet it's a new Aelous I'm buying, which tells you how I feel about it. FedX will deliver mine later today...can't wait to see it.

Here's a tune I'll be trying on the Aeolus after it burns in (from soundtrack of "The Clearing" podcast). In fact, a lot of this talented singer's stuff is gonna get a workout. This is Matthew Dear's "Modafinil Blues":

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,289 of 6,756
My new Aeolus LTD Camphor Burl with rose gold grille and rods!
I love the burl chatoyance and the lovely rose gold color works so well with the rest of the headphone.

P1010090.JPG

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,291 of 6,756
FedX will deliver mine later today...can't wait to see it.

Dang, What wood? I'm jealous :p
I just sold my bubinga and kept my Sapele instead. I liked the look of bubinga better but liked the comfort of 30 gram lighter Sapele :)
Comfort>look
My new Aeolus LTD Camphor Burl with rose gold grille and rods!
I love the burl chatoyance and the lovely rose gold color works so well with the rest of the headphone.

That looks gorgeous. I would be jealous af if my Aeolus hadn't cost 500 less but when I'm making better money, I will def go for a brand new Aeolus with the best look and weight cuz this thing is just, A M A Z I N G

Wow!! The most beautiful pair I've seen so far.

viper's aeolus is so damn pretty. for me Z reviews pair was the most beautiful. I almost fained when i saw it <3

1581798239256.png

1581798034773.png

I want that combo :frowning2:

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #2,292 of 6,756
No, there isn't. I had my friend's Aeolus on loan 3 times over the past year (weeks if not months each time)...I honestly never found any genre of music, or even specific tracks, where the Aeolus sounded "just OK." The Aeolus always combines an extremely fun/engaging sound w/more than enough "technicalities" (in the manner of TOTL headphones).

I certainly heard different headphones better the Aeolus in this or that sonic characteristic on this or that cut. But no other headphone I've heard consistently betters the Aeolus in overall sonic capability and capability to create musical satisfaction.

Here's a tune I'll be trying on the Aeolus after it burns in (from soundtrack of "The Clearing" podcast). In fact, a lot of this talented singer's stuff is gonna get a workout. This is Matthew Dear's "Modafinil Blues":

That's good to hear. I haven't had experience with any other can beside my dt 1990s and Aeolus.

I'm doing my final research and about to pre order a GOTL. probably something like this. I'm quit happy with lyr3+biforst but I need to up my game on dac and amp to get the most out of Aeolus.

Last few pages have been all text and technical talk. Time for a pic! :) Loving the Chatham clear-top + TS BGRP combo with the Atticus right now.

IhoL8zS.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #2,293 of 6,756
That's good to hear. I haven't had experience with any other can beside my dt 1990s and Aeolus.

I'm doing my final research and about to pre order a GOTL. probably something like this. I'm quit happy with lyr3+biforst but I need to up my game on dac and amp to get the most out of Aeolus.

From everything I hear, the GOTL is just about the last word in OTL-love for the Aeolus (for any of the ZMF dynamics).

I have 6 amps, 4 of which are SS; 1 SS w/a tube buffer circuit; and 1 OTL/tube. The SS amps range in power, price, and quality: the best is the V281, but they all please me a lot. The Aeolus sounds at least very good--and often pretty wonderful--on all of them. It may be the least amp-picky headphone I've run into, which is unexpected, given that it's a 300 ohm design.

My OTL (Woo WA3) is smaller & less expensive than a GOTL, but still, every time I try the Aeolus (any ZMF dynamic) on it, good things happen. The effect is subtle: the sound calms down, level out & becomes quite balanced sounding, tonally & dynamically.

I heard my friend's Aeolus on the Woo WA22 I owned last year (since sold). That sound was flat-out gorgeous w/ravishing mids, huge soundstage, 3D notes (the whole tube thing). I used the high impedance setting, but found it made little difference which setting I used (they both lit up that Aeolus).

Re DAC, yes, the Aeolus will let you hear those subtle differences. Last year I upgraded from an Audio GD NOS-19 to a modded MHDT Labs Orchid (w/2 X RCA outputs, my favorite/super-flexible configuration). Much as I liked the NOS-19, the Orchid is clearly better, especially after I rolled in a NOS tube for the buffer circuit. I'm a big fan of NOS, but I suspect upgrading to any really well designed DAC will make a difference in what you hear w/the Aeolus.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #2,294 of 6,756
From everything I hear, the GOTL is just about the last word in OTL-love for the Aeolus (for any of the ZMF dynamics).

I have 6 amps, 4 of which are SS; 1 SS w/a tube buffer circuit; and 1 OTL/tube. The SS amps range in power, price, and quality: the best is the V281, but they all please me a lot. The Aeolus sounds at least very good--and often pretty wonderful--on all of them. It may be the least amp-picky headphone I've run into, which is unexpected, given that it's a 300 ohm design.

My OTL (Woo WA3) is smaller & less expensive than a GOTL, but still, every time I try the Aeolus (any ZMF dynamic) on it, good things happen. The effect is subtle: the sound calms down, level out & becomes quite balanced sounding, tonally & dynamically.

I heard my friend's Aeolus on the Woo WA22 I owned last year (since sold). That sound was flat-out gorgeous w/ravishing mids, huge soundstage, 3D notes (the whole tube thing). I used the high impedance setting, but found it made little difference which setting I used (they both lit up that Aeolus).

Re DAC, yes, the Aeolus will let you hear those subtle differences. Last year I upgraded from an Audio GD NOS-19 to a modded MHDT Labs Orchid (w/2 X RCA outputs, my favorite/super-flexible configuration). Much as I liked the NOS-19, the Orchid is clearly better, especially after I rolled in a NOS tube for the buffer circuit. I'm a big fan of NOS, but I suspect upgrading to any really well designed DAC will make a difference in what you hear w/the Aeolus.

I can't say whether the GOTL is the last word in OTL's, as I haven't heard enough OTL's to say, but it definitely does wonders with the Aeolus. After I visited ZMF last year, I was convinced I was going to buy a Verite (open). I listened to the Verite, as well as the other models, on Zach's GOTL. I will still probably get a Verite at some point, but every time I start to think seriously about it, I change up the tube combination in the GOTL and it takes the Aeolus to a new place. Each place is different, but awesome, and it shows more of what the Aeolus can do. At this point I still don't think I have a full appreciation of what the Aeolus is capable of. To me that is speaks to how great and how versatile it is.

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #2,295 of 6,756
I can't say whether the GOTL is the last word in OTL's, as I haven't heard enough OTL's to say, but it definitely does wonders with the Aeolus. After I visited ZMF last year, I was convinced I was going to buy a Verite (open). I listened to the Verite, as well as the other models, on Zach's GOTL. I will still probably get a Verite at some point, but every time I start to think seriously about it, I change up the tube combination in the GOTL and it takes the Aeolus to a new place. Each place is different, but awesome, and it shows more of what the Aeolus can do. At this point I still don't think I have a full appreciation of what the Aeolus is capable of. To me that is speaks to how great and how versatile it is.

What options do you have on your Glenn if you don't mind me asking? Wooden chassis that I want is apparently not the best option for tube rolling

That turned out being a real pretty amp that matches the ZMF phones. But there is not as much room in the wooden chassis.
Really can only do the basic OTL but it sounds the same as the one with all the sockets. Just can't do as much tube rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back