ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #3,091 of 3,122
Nice and interesting review. A few months ago I had to decide between VC and AC and this review would have been a great help. I'm sure it will be for some others who will have to choose.

Also good music to support the review. I usually try to listen to the same tracks while reading the review, for better understanding. Now some of the albums you mentioned are included in my favorites list.

I agree with you that the AC does a good job of creating depth from front to back. I love its ability to faithfully reproduce the place where the music was recorded (it's excellent with live recordings)
Thank you for the kind words and I apologize this review took me so long to write. Enjoy the music!

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #3,092 of 3,122
Thank you for the kind words and I apologize this review took me so long to write. Enjoy the music!
Please don't apologize. Writing a review is hard work for the community and something we should always be grateful for.
Thank you very much sir!

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #3,093 of 3,122
Please don't apologize. Writing a review is hard work for the community and something we should always be grateful for.
Thank you very much sir!
Thank you. That means a lot. After I learned of my neuropathy in my hands I lost my confidence to write and it took me almost 8 months to build up the strength and nerve to start writing again. I am so glad that I have. As much as you enjoy reading it, is as much joy as I had writing it.

I truly love to write reviews for the community. This community has brought me so much joy and friendship, it is the least I can do.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #3,094 of 3,122
Hello everyone. I couldn't resist and went for the ac purpuratus.
Screenshot_2024-04-23-12-15-00-588-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Sorry for not having done a proper research, but I am a bit short on time.
So I have a question for pads.
I currently ordered with:
Installed Pads: Caldera Lambskin Thin, perforated
Included Pads: Bokeh Hybrid, perforated

I also have from previous zmf headphones:
Be2 suede perforated
Auteur pads lambskin perforated
Caldera Lambskin ultra perforated
Universe Lambskin perforated

Any other suggestion to get most of them?
I got these for the bass slam and perhaps other sonic characteristics you may believe its strong at?

Thanks in advance 😊

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #3,096 of 3,122

Be2 suede perforated

I got these for the bass slam and perhaps other sonic characteristics you may believe its strong at?

Thanks in advance 😊
General consensus in the thread is that 50% prefer the stock lambskin pads whilst the other 50% prefer the Caldera suedes.

For now I like the Bokeh suedes. It sits in between the stock lambskin and the Caldera suedes.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #3,097 of 3,122

Be2 suede perforated

Thanks in advance 😊
I would also suggest the caldera suede perfs instead of the Bokeh. They are tremendous with the suedes.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #3,098 of 3,122

Be2 suede perforated

Thanks in advance 😊
From Zach's recommendation, I got the Bokeh Suedes with my AC. You might want to switch your order to those instead of the Bokeh Hybrids. I would also second the recommendation to pick up the Caldera Suedes. For many of us, those are our favorite pads on the AC. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the perforated pads you already have will be a good fit on the AC. I also have the Solid Autuer Suede pads, and they work pretty well on the AC, though they make them a little more like a typical closed-back when it comes to the soundstage. If you're looking for the most bass slam, the stock Lambskin Caldera Thins are the ticket, so you might not even need to try any other pads in the end unless you're just curious about other sound profiles that bring the bass level down from stock.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #3,099 of 3,122
One minor note - which may or may not matter to you - but the Caldera suedes will give you a slightly thicker/larger pad option in terms of fit and comfort, whereas the Bokeh pads are the same dimensions as the Caldera thins. If you found your ears ended up touching the back on the thins, the Caldera suedes would give you more room.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #3,100 of 3,122
One minor note - which may or may not matter to you - but the Caldera suedes will give you a slightly thicker/larger pad option in terms of fit and comfort, whereas the Bokeh pads are the same dimensions as the Caldera thins. If you found your ears ended up touching the back on the thins, the Caldera suedes would give you more room.
Agreed, I find Caldera Suedes more comfortable than the Caldera Thins or Bokeh Suedes for my big ears. The Solid Auteur Suede pads are the most comfortable though, as they are even deeper than the Caldera Suedes.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #3,101 of 3,122

Be2 suede perforated

Thanks in advance 😊

Oh that's a nice one, congrats!
As for pads, I would suggest to add the Caldera Suede ones to your (already nice) collection.

General consensus in the thread is that 50% prefer the stock lambskin pads whilst the other 50% prefer the Caldera suedes.

For now I like the Bokeh suedes. It sits in between the stock lambskin and the Caldera suedes.

I would also suggest the caldera suede perfs instead of the Bokeh. They are tremendous with the suedes.

From Zach's recommendation, I got the Bokeh Suedes with my AC. You might want to switch your order to those instead of the Bokeh Hybrids. I would also second the recommendation to pick up the Caldera Suedes. For many of us, those are our favorite pads on the AC. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the perforated pads you already have will be a good fit on the AC. I also have the Solid Autuer Suede pads, and they work pretty well on the AC, though they make them a little more like a typical closed-back when it comes to the soundstage. If you're looking for the most bass slam, the stock Lambskin Caldera Thins are the ticket, so you might not even need to try any other pads in the end unless you're just curious about other sound profiles that bring the bass level down from stock.

+6 for Caldera Suede pads..

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #3,102 of 3,122
+1 with Caldera Suedes. To my ears, they not only balance the sound, but also open up the soundstage, compared to the stock pads (Caldera Lambskin thin)

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #3,103 of 3,122
Agreed, I find Caldera Suedes more comfortable than the Caldera Thins or Bokeh Suedes for my big ears. The Solid Auteur Suede pads are the most comfortable though, as they are even deeper than the Caldera Suedes.
I actually just switched to the Solid Auteur Suedes on my Bokeh and they've alleviated pretty much all my comfort gripes with it (and still sound very good). For whatever reason, on the Bokeh, the Caldera suedes rest in a way that puts way more pressure above my ears and barely any under, but the Auteur solids don't do that.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #3,104 of 3,122
I actually just switched to the Solid Auteur Suedes on my Bokeh and they've alleviated pretty much all my comfort gripes with it (and still sound very good). For whatever reason, on the Bokeh, the Caldera suedes rest in a way that puts way more pressure above my ears and barely any under, but the Auteur solids don't do that.
Have you tried rotating the Caldera Suede pads to see if you can alleviate the pressure above your ears?

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #3,105 of 3,122
Have you tried rotating the Caldera Suede pads to see if you can alleviate the pressure above your ears?
Yeah, I just couldn't get them quite right - attempted a bunch of headband bending as well - the smaller chassis I think just sits at a slightly different angle/shape than the full-size (I use the Caldera suedes on my Caldera and they're perfect)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back