ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Mar 18, 2022 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6,205

DeweyCH

Member of the Trade: Lithium Headphones
Launch thread from the sponsor forum with a ton of great info

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/atrium

Announced today and available April 1, this is ZMF’s new open back headphone.
BA18E1D4-3A59-4261-93C7-035C76B6D0B5.jpeg

THE ATRIUM OPENS A NEW DOOR FOR ZMF LINEARITY​

Not only does it expand the range of spatial sound experience first incepted with the auteur (now the “auteur classic”), through its shared biocellulose driver heritage, but it also introduces our Atrium Damping System which allows us full control over an open headphones’ soundscape. The grille and cup venting make for the most open headphone we have built to date.
MidBanner_BioCell.jpg

The newly developed Atrium 300ohm Biocellulose driver features an evolved material configuration for lower THD and an optimized frequency response in an open backed headphone. The driver uses N52 magnets.
Biocellulose drivers have always captured my attention. Their innate ability to be dynamic, punchy, and weighty, while also retaining a lifelike timbre allows the listener to be fully immersed in the sonic landscape. The challenge in any driver design is to retain a proper frequency response while maximizing the sonic capabilities of the moving coil. This is where the Atrium Damping System comes in. In approaching our new drivers’ development in concert with the new patent pending damping system, I realized that I could get everything I wanted out of the driver. Together they enable more ability to control the sound through the interspaced placement of the Atrium Damping System. Working on a new model is a constant process of adjustment and assessment. Shaping sound is a living art. We know that art to be a success when you put on a pair and its feels ‘just right.’
This release represents our first since the Verite Closed (circa 2019). It brings everything ZMF owners have loved about our existing open backed models and adds a new expression of our sound that ramps up the technicalities, spatial awareness, and enjoyment, while retaining the natural biocel timbre that headphone audiophiles dream of. We are excited to present to the community, the Atrium.
MidBanner_ZMFNeutal2.jpg

StockProductOptions.jpg

Atrium_Longshot_Sped.gif

AtriumIcons.jpg

[ ey-tree-uhm ] // latin: Roman architectural term referring to a central or hearth room, typically with domed or otherwise pitched ceiling, centrally open to the sky allowing for the control of air.
AtriumDiagramOverlay.jpg

Inspired by the architectural acoustic shaping of spaces, the Atrium Damping system allows us the ability to control the back-wave acoustic system by manipulating the spaces between, for a defined and satisfying listening experience.
AtriumGrille.jpg

Inspired by the grandiose acoustical awe built into gothic cathedrals, the grille of the Atrium serves both functional and aesthetic purpose. Pushing the tolerances of our machining we have produced the most open pattern yet in our line-up. Our design sought to emulate the Rose Window of the Amiens Cathedral. We hoped to borrow the gravitas of community sacred spaces and create instead a personal one.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 6,205
I’ve had one of these for review for a week or so and will post my thoughts and some pics later today.

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 6,205
From what I've heard so far (not my own experience):
  • Widest sounding ZMF headphone
  • More balanced tuning compared to Verité
  • Detail slightly behind the VO but still a tier above Auteur
  • Bass not as fast and tight as Beryllium driver of VO but fuller and with more quantity
Looks pretty good and a very strong price/performance. Definitely a good addition to ZMF lineup and a direct upgrade to Auteur which is great.

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 6,205
Auteur and Aeolus are to be discontinued? Did I hear that right?

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 6,205
It's really nice. Just enveloping you in sound. Huge stage, beautiful big rumbly bass, great detail (not VC/VO level, but pretty close), like a super Auteur with a lot of what makes Aeolus fun to listen to

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 6,205
I will say my first impressions weren't great. They felt almost muffled. But a little bit of burn-in/brain burn-in and I started seeing/hearing what the Atrium is all about. I know it's described as "Auteur 2," but for me it was almost like a Super Aeolus.

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 6,205
Auteur and Aeolus are to be discontinued? Did I hear that right?
Nope. Aeolus is still in their line-up.

Auteur is being discontinued. Zach is tweaking the damping system and it'll be rebranded as Auteur Classic.

Eikon is being discontinued though. May come back as a limited run at some point.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 6,205
Just a heads up, I asked @warrenpchi to move this to the High-end audio forum where the Verite Open and Closed threads are. The Atrium is a co-TOTL with the Verite's and priced the same.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 6,205
Just a heads up, I asked @warrenpchi to move this to the High-end audio forum where the Verite Open and Closed threads are. The Atrium is a co-TOTL with the Verite's and priced the same.
Coolio.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #11 of 6,205

Yes sir! :relaxed: And... done!

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 6,205
I will say my first impressions weren't great. They felt almost muffled. But a little bit of burn-in/brain burn-in and I started seeing/hearing what the Atrium is all about. I know it's described as "Auteur 2," but for me it was almost like a Super Aeolus.
Then it will be interesting to see how they sound with universe suede perforated pads, my choice of earpads with Aeolus.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 6,205
I’ve had one of these for review for a week or so and will post my thoughts and some pics later today.
and then send it to me for a once over ill pay for shipping back to Zack! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back