ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 3, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #6,226 of 6,236
I have a question guys/girls.
I ended ultimately using auteur pads with my AO. But something I am not very confident with is that is the correct pad for left and right.
With caldera, both stock and thick pads, the Closing stitched are near the cable connection.
However with some other pads it's just not matching. So I have a hard time find which pad is left or right. Given that the thickest part is going on the back of you ears, I look over and over and they seem interchangeable for left and right.

Caldera thick on caldera:
IMG-20240503-WA0005.jpg

Auteur on Atrium Open:
IMG-20240503-WA0007.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance ☺️ 🎧 💡

May 3, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #6,227 of 6,236
I have a question guys/girls.
I ended ultimately using auteur pads with my AO. But something I am not very confident with is that is the correct pad for left and right.

The thicker parts are always positioned at the back for all ZMF pads. If you're using the Auteur pads or any other non-Caldera pads, make sure the stitching aligns with the gimbal, as shown in the picture below. For the Caldera pads, align the stitching with the cable connector.

close-up-of-cup.jpg

May 3, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #6,228 of 6,236
The thicker parts are always positioned at the back for all ZMF pads. If you're using the Auteur pads or any other non-Caldera pads, make sure the stitching aligns with the gimbal, as shown in the picture below. For the Caldera pads, align the stitching with the cable connector.

close-up-of-cup.jpg
Thanks for answering that question. That info will come in handy when I get my AO + extra pads in a few weeks.

May 3, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #6,229 of 6,236

close-up-of-cup.jpg
Ok, so it seems I got it right.
Thank you very much! ☺️

May 4, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #6,230 of 6,236
I'm using them right now, they fixed the sharp vocals I was having with the universe lamb perf pads. If you've ever heard the hd600, I'd say with these pads the atrium is similar, with more relaxed vocals, better resolution, soundstage, significant better impact/physicality, worse vocals. Worse timbre but nothing really beats hd600 timbre.
Thanks! Interesting. Could you compare to BE2 suede perf, Auteur or any other pads? No worries if not.

May 5, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #6,231 of 6,236
Thanks! Interesting. Could you compare to BE2 suede perf, Auteur or any other pads? No worries if not.
Be2 suede perf: Magical on certain tracks, especially laid back, vocal centric songs. However I ended up finding it too laid back, not enough energy for other genres such as pop to be an all rounder.

Universe lamb perf, be2 lamb perf: Vocals sound forward, sharp, and ultimately can be unpleasant.

May 5, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #6,232 of 6,236
• A little routine that I enact after I don a ZMF headphone: with one hand against the headband top, rotate slowly with the other hand each earpad backwards / forwards until the optimal fit over my ear is reached. ☑️
• The stitching faces the rear, the thicker earpad portion faces the front. ☑️

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #6,233 of 6,236
Hybrid activity with Atrium Open:
IMG_8009.jpeg
🎼 👍 🎶

May 5, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #6,234 of 6,236
Be2 suede perf: Magical on certain tracks, especially laid back, vocal centric songs. However I ended up finding it too laid back, not enough energy for other genres such as pop to be an all rounder.

Universe lamb perf, be2 lamb perf: Vocals sound forward, sharp, and ultimately can be unpleasant.
Awesome! Thanks so much, this is very helpful. So where do you place the caldera ultra perforated suede pads as far as your overall preference? For example, is it your “all rounder” preferred choice of pad? Also, when you say vocals are worse compared to HD 600, do you mean worse because vocals are less isolated or further away in the mix, or something else?

I’m enjoying the BE2 suede perf pads for example, including the timbre, so thought I might like the caldera ultra perforated suede pads too.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #6,235 of 6,236
The stitching faces the rear, the thicker earpad portion faces the front.

If that’s what works best for you that’s awesome!

Just so future readers aren’t confused, the result location of stitches should be:
  • Universe pads - facing forward (near front gimbal)
  • Caldera pads - facing downward (near cable termination)
But no right or wrong - whatever best fits one’s head shape and comfort for a nice seal

May 5, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #6,236 of 6,236
If that’s what works best for you that’s awesome!

Just so future readers aren’t confused, the result location of stitches should be:
  • Universe pads - facing forward (near front gimbal)
  • Caldera pads - facing downward (near cable termination)
But no right or wrong - whatever best fits one’s head shape and comfort for a nice seal
And that Caldera pads are Left and Right side specific. The pad contours both front to back and top to bottom. Having the seam at the bottom allows orientation without explicit markings.

To my knowledge the rest of the ZMF pad lineup can be used on either side equivalently. Contours from front to back only, and top to bottom are mirrors of each other.

Note: I haven't tried the Bokeh pads yet, so can't speak to those...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back