ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,111 of 8,441
Was at the Socal Canjam this weekend and I picked up a pair B stock Blackwood Auteurs at a huge discount price. Zach from ZMF sold them to me personally. The only reason they were B stock was because they had the smallest imperfection in the cut around the grill. I would have never noticed the imperfection if Zach didn't point it out. I was comparing them against non B stock and they are just as beautiful. Zach also hooked me up with a free OFC balanced xlr cable. Overall I am incredibly happy with my new Auteurs. Can't wait to see how they sound after some more break in time. My Ether Flows have some tough competition now!

Shh we must not speak of such things welcome to the b stock club !

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #1,112 of 8,441
I'll be interested to hear how that comes out. I've been focused on Utopia/Auteur comparisons, as my planars (HEKv2, EFO) feel very different from the two dynamics. What are you driving them with?

I'm using a Schiit Modi Multibit and Jotunhiem to drive my headphones. So far my Ether Flow and Auteur feel very different from each other. It's hard to overall pick one over the other. I think it just comes down to what I am listening to at the moment. If I am listening to rock, metal or anything with good vocals I am going to probably pick the Auteurs. The mids on the Auteurs are really sweet and smooth. I love how guitars and vocals sound on the Auteurs. If I am listening to hip hop, anything with powerful drums, movies or gaming, I will most likely pick the EFO. I just love that planar low end, it's more dynamic and punchy and the EFO has better sub bass. Also the sound stage and imaging is better on the EFO.
I should mention that my EFOs are not fully stock. I swapped out the stock pads for ZMF Ori pads. With Ori pads the EFO has even better comfort, a small boost in the low end and soundstage.
When it comes to comfort the EFO wins, hands down. They are incredibly light and extremely flexible. You can wear them for hours and just forget that you have them on. The Auteurs are also comfortable but you do feel their weight and I sometimes have to reposition them to get them back into a comfortable position.
I should also mention that I am bald, I don't have that natural hair padding that most people have. Because of this it is hard for me to find headphones that are really comfortable. Even headphones that are popular among the community for their comfort, I may find them uncomfortable. I looking at you Sennheiser... So just because I have some comfort issues with the Auteur doesn't mean everyone else will.
Now when it comes to style, the Auteurs take the prize. Sorry EFOs, I still find you sexy but the Auteurs are an 11 out of 10.
After doing my first comparison of my Ether Flow and Auteur, I don't think there is a clear winner. It just comes down to personal taste.
I may try to do another comparison of my EFO and Auteur in the future. I want to purchase a good tube amp that also works well with planars and won't break the bank. While I was at Canjam I heard the Auteur out of a Woo Audio WA7 and I liked what it was doing. I also tried them out of the new Schiit Lyr 3 and I wasn't impressed. If anyone has any good recommendations for a tube amp between the 500 - 1000 usd range let me know. I would prefer a balanced tube amp if possible. But not a requirement. Most of the balanced tube amps I've seen are around 2000+ usd. That is more than what I am willing to pay for an amp.

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,114 of 8,441
I'm using a Schiit Modi Multibit and Jotunhiem to drive my headphones. So far my Ether Flow and Auteur feel very different from each other. It's hard to overall pick one over the other. I think it just comes down to what I am listening to at the moment. If I am listening to rock, metal or anything with good vocals I am going to probably pick the Auteurs. The mids on the Auteurs are really sweet and smooth. I love how guitars and vocals sound on the Auteurs. If I am listening to hip hop, anything with powerful drums, movies or gaming, I will most likely pick the EFO. I just love that planar low end, it's more dynamic and punchy and the EFO has better sub bass. Also the sound stage and imaging is better on the EFO.
I should mention that my EFOs are not fully stock. I swapped out the stock pads for ZMF Ori pads. With Ori pads the EFO has even better comfort, a small boost in the low end and soundstage.
When it comes to comfort the EFO wins, hands down. They are incredibly light and extremely flexible. You can wear them for hours and just forget that you have them on. The Auteurs are also comfortable but you do feel their weight and I sometimes have to reposition them to get them back into a comfortable position.
I should also mention that I am bald, I don't have that natural hair padding that most people have. Because of this it is hard for me to find headphones that are really comfortable. Even headphones that are popular among the community for their comfort, I may find them uncomfortable. I looking at you Sennheiser... So just because I have some comfort issues with the Auteur doesn't mean everyone else will.
Now when it comes to style, the Auteurs take the prize. Sorry EFOs, I still find you sexy but the Auteurs are an 11 out of 10.
After doing my first comparison of my Ether Flow and Auteur, I don't think there is a clear winner. It just comes down to personal taste.
I may try to do another comparison of my EFO and Auteur in the future. I want to purchase a good tube amp that also works well with planars and won't break the bank. While I was at Canjam I heard the Auteur out of a Woo Audio WA7 and I liked what it was doing. I also tried them out of the new Schiit Lyr 3 and I wasn't impressed. If anyone has any good recommendations for a tube amp between the 500 - 1000 usd range let me know. I would prefer a balanced tube amp if possible. But not a requirement. Most of the balanced tube amps I've seen are around 2000+ usd. That is more than what I am willing to pay for an amp.
Glenn otl amp possibly but id look into it first if someone has used an efo with it.

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #1,115 of 8,441
If anyone has any good recommendations for a tube amp between the 500 - 1000 usd range let me know. I would prefer a balanced tube amp if possible. But not a requirement. Most of the balanced tube amps I've seen are around 2000+ usd. That is more than what I am willing to pay for an amp.

Nice comparison between the Auteur and Ether Flow.
For that price range a Glenn OTL comes to mind or the Decware CSP3 (slightly pricier than the former). Either of them should sound great based on reviews. The Glenn pushes you deeper in the tube rolling however :money_mouth::

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/ampsanddacs/decware-csp-mk-iii
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/

Or this one from Monoprice. It's a lower power balanced version of the Liquid Crimson from the former Cavalli Audio. Not a pure tube amp but more of an hybrid SS with a pair of 6922 tube sound:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=33305

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #1,116 of 8,441

You are going to have a hard time finding a balanced tube amp.

For what it is worth, a tube amp with nice topology does not have to be balanced.

None of Glenns amps will be balanced, but don't sweat that....they do not need to be. :)

Both the EL3N and the OTL amp from Glenn should be wonderful with the Auteur.

The thing is that there is a waiting period, as Glenn has a full time job and builds amps in his spare time so it can take awhile.

For what it is worth...it is very much worth the wait if you have an amp that can hold you over.....lots of people do not like to wait and that is understandable.

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #1,117 of 8,441
Glenn otl amp possibly but id look into it first if someone has used an efo with it.

Nice comparison between the Auteur and Ether Flow.
For that price range a Glenn OTL comes to mind or the Decware CSP3 (slightly pricier than the former). Either of them should sound great based on reviews. The Glenn pushes you deeper in the tube rolling however :money_mouth::

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/ampsanddacs/decware-csp-mk-iii
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/

Or this one from Monoprice. It's a lower power balanced version of the Liquid Crimson from the former Cavalli Audio. Not a pure tube amp but more of an hybrid SS with a pair of 6922 tube sound:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=33305

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like a pain in the ass to try and hunt down a Glenn OTL. The Decware looks promising. Might have to do more research on it.

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #1,118 of 8,441
Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like a pain in the ass to try and hunt down a Glenn OTL. The Decware looks promising. Might have to do more research on it.

You are probably not going to find an amp from Glenn for sale second hand, you would have to order one.

I can only remember seeing two in the B/S/T forums since I have been around and they were gone pretty much instantly.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,119 of 8,441
I want to purchase a good tube amp that also works well with planars and won't break the bank. While I was at Canjam I heard the Auteur out of a Woo Audio WA7 and I liked what it was doing. I also tried them out of the new Schiit Lyr 3 and I wasn't impressed. If anyone has any good recommendations for a tube amp between the 500 - 1000 usd range let me know. I would prefer a balanced tube amp if possible. But not a requirement. Most of the balanced tube amps I've seen are around 2000+ usd. That is more than what I am willing to pay for an amp.

Have you tried Schiit Mjolnir2? I think it's within your price range ($850), has both SE and XLR, plenty of power (850mw @ 300ohms) and hybrid design you can swap between tubes and SS

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #1,120 of 8,441
Have you tried Schiit Mjolnir2? I think it's within your price range ($850), has both SE and XLR, plenty of power (850mw @ 300ohms) and hybrid design you can swap between tubes and SS

I've tried the Mjolnir before and I liked the sound but I don't think it's for me. It's way too big and takes up too much space.
I think I am just going to forget about trying to find a balanced tube amp at my budget.
I was looking at a Woo Audio WA6 and was wondering if it is a good match with the Auteur? Looking at the specs of the WA6 I liked that it can handle low impedance headphones as well. So I am hoping I can get good results with my planars as well. I also dig the brushed aluminum finish of the WA6. It would look good next to my Schiit gear. I am still going to be looking around, I don't need to pull the trigger too quick on getting a new amp.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,121 of 8,441
I've tried the Mjolnir before and I liked the sound but I don't think it's for me. It's way too big and takes up too much space.
I think I am just going to forget about trying to find a balanced tube amp at my budget.
I was looking at a Woo Audio WA6 and was wondering if it is a good match with the Auteur? Looking at the specs of the WA6 I liked that it can handle low impedance headphones as well. So I am hoping I can get good results with my planars as well. I as dig the brushed aluminum finish of the WA6. It would look good next to my Schiit gear. I am still going to be looking around, I don't need to pull the trigger too quick on getting a new amp.

Monoprice is releasing their Cavalli licensed balanced tube amp (Liquid Crimson’s younger brother) for $650. The issue is the wait since it’s not being released until the middle of June.

There’s always the Lyr 3 and the full OTL like the WA6. The La Figaro 339 is highly recommended at around $600 - 750 on Massdrop. You have some great options.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #1,122 of 8,441
You are going to have a hard time finding a balanced tube amp.

For what it is worth, a tube amp with nice topology does not have to be balanced.

None of Glenns amps will be balanced, but don't sweat that....they do not need to be. :)

Both the EL3N and the OTL amp from Glenn should be wonderful with the Auteur.

The thing is that there is a waiting period, as Glenn has a full time job and builds amps in his spare time so it can take awhile.

For what it is worth...it is very much worth the wait if you have an amp that can hold you over.....lots of people do not like to wait and that is understandable.

"For what it is worth, a tube amp with nice topology does not have to be balanced."

Funny to see you post this. I've been using my new OTL tube amp (Woo WA3) w/my various headphones, and of course getting amazingly good sound out of the one high-impedance one (a borrowed/modded HD650). In the coming weeks will try my friend's Eikon on the Woo.

I find that when a high impedance HP "locks in" w/this amp, all the usual sonic distinctions I make between SS SE vs balanced, seem not to apply. In other words, simply taking care of the impedance matching improves the sound in much the same ways going from SE to balanced would on my SS amps w/a low impedance headphone (and some more): soundstaging gets larger & more nuanced/refined; overall tonality levels out & becomes slightly more dynamic. There also are those tonal effect tubes are known for: more "dimensional/3D" musical notes, better instrumental timbre, etc.

Not to say there isn't even more sonic magic to be had by connecting the high impedance headphone to a balanced OTL tube amp. But I'll never know, since that's way more space & $$ than I can put into it.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,123 of 8,441
If anyone has any good recommendations for a tube amp between the 500 - 1000 usd range let me know.

The La Figaro 339 is a great OTL that can run planars and low ohm headphones in addition to the hi ohm gear.Mine will most likely be up for sale in a month,give or take as I too have a Glenn OTL being built as we speak.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,124 of 8,441
Think I've reached my end-game thus far with these headphones; literally cannot ask for more. Just beautiful mids, incredibly vivid yet seductive at the same time. Vocals and guitars (acoustic and electric) have never sounded better; organic and refined. Not just that, but the rest of the frequencies are balanced perfectly as well, just an overall cohesive presentation. I'm not left wanting for more solid bass or increased air/crispness.

For rock, blues, pop, jazz, etc., the Eikon pads are a perfect fit. The smoother, darker, and weightier sound really brings out the soul in the music. For classical, the Auteur pads: the increased openness/air and brighter and more 'studio' neutral tone makes every single instrument sound natural and accurate to me. There's enough space in the sound-stage to do even large-scale orchestral pieces justice.

Never heard a better all-rounder.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,125 of 8,441
2018_0410_20174000.jpg

Currently listening through Auteur for midnight music session while there's a HD800S right beside me as well.

First thing that strike me is how neutral Auteur tone is. Treble, midrange, bass, all of them also have good composition, very balance presentation. The unique thing that I like is how smooth the transition for every notes, no peak in treble, no shouty vocal, no "super kick" bass as well. They just so smooth that at first I thought I listen to planar instead of dynamic driver. Neutral tone with a hint of warmness, without being syrupy or too colored. Kind of character that I describe as the true organic sound.

Direct compare to HD800S (jump from Auteur to HD800S), first thing that noticeable is leaner sounding sound, especially in mid to lower mid area. Something is a bit missing there, organic sound has gone a bit, but now I got spacious soundstage with better pin point and 3D imaging as well. No, Senn HD800S not become completely thin and lifeless sounding headphone, but the hint of warmness in Auteur really made me missing the organic feel of sound, though got replaced by cleaner and more expansive sound. Feels like LP (Auteur) vs CD (HD800S).

If I only can get one headphone, then Auteur is a no brainer choice, very allrounder headphone that can do everything well. If I have the budgets, will take them all definitely as for ultimate experience classical / instrument / live jazz recording HD800S still way to go due the more complete information of ambience and better pin point instrument. Will use Auteur for anything with warm vocality, more relax feeling, and of course anything in mainstream music world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back