ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 13, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,171 of 8,441
While doing some research and looking for a cool tube amp for my new Auteurs I found an amp that really caught my interest, the Little Dot MKVIII SE. It's a balance tube amp just below 1000 usd. Does any one have any experience with this amp? would it be a good match for the Auteur?

Well, there's this thread here, contrasting the VI & VIII SE: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/little-dot-mk-vi-little-dot-mk-viii-se-owners-unite.522099/

I got interested in both amps last year when they were featured in a Massdrop offering.

You can also check the "Discussion" about these amps at Massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/little-dot-mkiii-se

I didn't see much else out there in terms of real reviews...

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,172 of 8,441
I'm more interested in a nice ZMF cable because I like the way they look, honestly. That and just having one with very nice built quality. I'm not really expecting to notice a difference in the sound, but if I can notice a positive change that's a nice bonus.

Should have my Auteur tomorrow. Pretty exciting. Gotta make sure it's the right headphone for me before considering going in on a $300-600 cable.

Yeah Im torn between the Ares II and Zachs cable but im pretty sure im getting the 2K cable because the characteristics he described is exactly what im looking for (a more smooth detailed sound).

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #1,173 of 8,441
Yeah Im torn between the Ares II and Zachs cable but im pretty sure im getting the 2K cable because the characteristics he described is exactly what im looking for (a more smooth detailed sound).

I've been hearing Zach's new cables quite a bit between CanJam SoCal and AXPONA, and they are definitely looking and sounding very, very nice. Looking forward to a demo in a quieter environment. You also might want to give a DanaCable Lazuli a spin. That's what I use on mine. Very smooth and detailed. Also brings out a lot more punch and bass impact. There's a 30-day satisfaction guarantee on them, so it can go it back if it doesn't suit you.

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,174 of 8,441
I've been hearing Zach's new cables quite a bit between CanJam SoCal and AXPONA, and they are definitely looking and sounding very, very nice. Looking forward to a demo in a quieter environment. You also might want to give a DanaCable Lazuli a spin. That's what I use on mine. Very smooth and detailed. Also brings out a lot more punch and bass impact. There's a 30-day satisfaction guarantee on them, so it can go it back if it doesn't suit you.

I'll definitely consider the Lazuli as my main listening genre is Hip-Hop.

Apr 14, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,175 of 8,441
Just got my Auteur in. The build quality is fantastic. It is a bit early to give detailed impressions on the sound, but I am a fan so far. The clarity is actually much greater than I was imagining. Wish I still had my HD800S for comparison.

I’m really looking forward to trying these out with the Liquid Platinum this summer as I definitely feel like the Auteur would benefit from some slight tube warmth rather than the probably slightly brighter than neutral IHA-6. Luckily the Onyx helps prevent the setup from being too bright for my tastes.

A big thing for me is comfort, and it’s too early to tell as I haven’t worn these for hours. I do feel the weight which will take a little getting used to, but I’m not feeling a hot spot on top of my head after 1 hour so it’ll probably be fine. Headphones that bother me tend to give me headaches due to pressure on top of my head.

I also think the ownership card being made of wood is kind of a cute touch and very fitting for ZMF.

5E7327A2-FF2A-4D78-92E3-D5E2FFBEDBE8.jpegCF6F8A10-4A20-4A2F-9DC1-071E846E75DC.jpeg 698BFF7B-B156-4B6E-B997-765193FB00F1.jpeg BC379A6E-8394-4875-8F98-EBAF1115F230.jpeg 13061DA3-A770-4BC1-A57C-7BA1A2F85091.jpeg 518D1639-C79F-4196-B09B-41E3FF7B0D71.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,176 of 8,441
hi!
i'm about to pull the trigger for the teak version.
just wondering if i could enjoy due to my strange music taste... almost all except classical and jazz...
last songs i listened to were from first metallica albums, depeche mode, royksopp, p diddy, fleetwood mac, prodigy and white lies....
i loved atticus mids and punch. will i get something better or just different?

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #1,177 of 8,441
Jamming the Utopia and the Auteurs back-to-back on the Chord Dave. I gotta say, the Auteurs hold up really, really well next to the Focals and they're actually quite complimentary. They're like two shades of neutral, the focal being brighter and more energetic and the Auteur being more lush and impactful. Also, the Dave is just silly, silly good, lol!

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #1,178 of 8,441
Just got my Auteur in. The build quality is fantastic. It is a bit early to give detailed impressions on the sound, but I am a fan so far. The clarity is actually much greater than I was imagining. Wish I still had my HD800S for comparison.

I’m really looking forward to trying these out with the Liquid Platinum this summer as I definitely feel like the Auteur would benefit from some slight tube warmth rather than the probably slightly brighter than neutral IHA-6. Luckily the Onyx helps prevent the setup from being too bright for my tastes.

A big thing for me is comfort, and it’s too early to tell as I haven’t worn these for hours. I do feel the weight which will take a little getting used to, but I’m not feeling a hot spot on top of my head after 1 hour so it’ll probably be fine. Headphones that bother me tend to give me headaches due to pressure on top of my head.

I also think the ownership card being made of wood is kind of a cute touch and very fitting for ZMF.

i am currently in line for a glenn OTL amp but I have a la figaro 339 and a iha-6 too and I prefer it on my tube I can't wait to listen with the glenn OTL amp

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #1,179 of 8,441
i am currently in line for a glenn OTL amp but I have a la figaro 339 and a iha-6 too and I prefer it on my tube I can't wait to listen with the glenn OTL amp
Yea. I'm sure the Auteur is better on a tube amp. Enjoy the GOTL. That amp looks awesome.

I had a very nice Kenzie Encore, but there seemed to be some issues using it in my house with dirty power so I ended up getting rid of it due to hum issues. I think there's a decent chance I won't have issues with a balanced hybrid, and the Vali 2 doesn't seem to have hum issues nearly as bad either.

That said, the Eikon pads actually helped a lot. They seem to be a fantastic match with the IHA-6 for my tastes. Tames the treble just enough. I'm not sure which pads I would prefer on a warmer amp.

My concerns about comfort are pretty much gone at this point. I was wearing them for about 6 hours straight with no signs of discomfort. Zach knows how to design a very comfortable headphone despite the weight being a bit above what I'd normally prefer.

Most definitely going to be ordering a 2k cable very soon. Loving the Auteur.

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,181 of 8,441
I prefer the tone of Eikon pads personally. They have a more solid center image, less diffuse, plus timbre is slightly more accurate. I like to run them with brighter tubes/sources.

Here are measurements of both pads on my Blackwood Auteur as starting places for EQ: FWIW a flat line is a bad target if you use these measurements. I like a slight downward slope, so you could knock the peaks down, and bring up the 2-4kHz depression a touch if you want.
Auteur_Auteur_pads_Green_Perforated_Eikon_pads_Red.png

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #1,182 of 8,441
Wonder if it's better to put on the Eikon pads and EQ a bit or the Auteur pads and EQ more....(for bass lovers)

I definitely love the eikon pads when the auteur is paired with an amp like the Jotunheim. The bass and impact is really really nice with this combo.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #1,183 of 8,441
That said, the Eikon pads actually helped a lot. They seem to be a fantastic match with the IHA-6 for my tastes. Tames the treble just enough. I'm not sure which pads I would prefer on a warmer amp.

I never really cared for the Eikon pads even on my Teak version as they sound too stuffy and off neutral for me. I was considering getting the IHA-6 but honestly I'm just going to save the dough and get the Bryston BHA-1 as it's dead neutral, transparent and digs out all the micro-detail you could want. I'm done getting colored amps unless they're tubes.

That being said, I got warm tubes in right now w/ a brighter tube in for detail and sparkle and I regret nothing. The Auteur is super transparent where everything in the chain will have an impact.

Also, the Dave is just silly, silly good, lol!

I wish I had the money for a Dave but I've heard the TT is close. Since I'm already looking at the $3k market I was just thinking I should just go all the damn way. Have you heard the TT? If so, how does it compare to the Dave? I feel like the Dave has the ability to take all the upsides of a good tube system (micro-detail, spatial depth) and add it to the great technicalities of SS which is treble extension and bass.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,184 of 8,441
I never really cared for the Eikon pads even on my Teak version as they sound too stuffy and off neutral for me. I was considering getting the IHA-6 but honestly I'm just going to save the dough and get the Bryston BHA-1 as it's dead neutral, transparent and digs out all the micro-detail you could want. I'm done getting colored amps unless they're tubes.

That being said, I got warm tubes in right now w/ a brighter tube in for detail and sparkle and I regret nothing. The Auteur is super transparent where everything in the chain will have an impact.
I don't feel that way about the Eikon pads, but it's nice that we are provided these options for different preferences and setups.

The Eikon pads and NOS DAC compensate for the very slightly north of neutral IHA-6. It works very well for my tastes. Admittedly, I prefer things on the warmer side so I'll probably be even happier with some tubes back in my setup. Soon enough that will happen.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,185 of 8,441
My 599's isolate zero,as do the LCD2Cs. The HP-3 isolates a surprising ****-ton for a semi-open. I am really hoping the Auteur hits at least half-way between the two. I have to keep my computer fans blasting and it matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back