ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 16, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #1,216 of 8,439
My friend bought the gilmore and i heard it at canjam nyc i wasnt impressed by it at all. He had also purchased the liquid carbon massdrop version and we both came away impressed and enjoyed that amp more.

The Liquid Carbon and the GLM2 are about as different in sound as amps can get. I appreciate both. From a technical standpoint the GLM2 is way faster, clearer and more resolving. The LC is sweeter and can be subjectively more musical. Head-to-head, the LC doesn't show well against the GLM2 because of the technical stuff, but in a vacuum it really comes down to personal preference.

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,218 of 8,439
Ed4LdEW.jpg

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,224 of 8,439
Over four months? Holy moly. I thought it was 6-10 weeks! I guess you can't rush quality.
The wait is likely a bit shorter now. I paid for mine probably during the last week of December and got them this past Saturday. 3 1/2 months. I don't remember when the first ones shipped. End of January maybe? People ordering today most likely will have a significantly shorter wait time as the list has been drastically cut down.

Honestly, it was completely worth the wait. The Auteur exceeded my expectations.

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,225 of 8,439
Over four months? Holy moly. I thought it was 6-10 weeks! I guess you can't rush quality.

Maybe for orders placed recently, my order was at the tail end of preorders so I was over 70th on the Auteur list. That's not counting all the orders he had to work on the Atticus and Eikon and other lists.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #1,226 of 8,439
Ordered a ZMF Auteur 2k cable yesterday. Mostly for aesthetics and quality, but it’ll be a nice surprise if I notice a positive difference in sound.

I have to admit that I think the silver cable looks the prettiest by far. I am avoiding it for now because Zach says it’s a little brighter. Not that it should matter for a non-believer like me, but if I did find that I could hear a difference then it’d go against sound I am looking for with my current setup. Will not rule it out in the future once I get some tubes back in my life.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,227 of 8,439
Ordered a ZMF Auteur 2k cable yesterday. Mostly for aesthetics and quality, but it’ll be a nice surprise if I notice a positive difference in sound.

I have to admit that I think the silver cable looks the prettiest by far. I am avoiding it for now because Zach says it’s a little brighter. Not that it should matter for a non-believer like me, but if I did find that I could hear a difference then it’d go against sound I am looking for with my current setup. Will not rule it out in the future once I get some tubes back in my life.

I ordered the 2K cable myself - you'll definitely notice a change if your amp is transparent enough. The Auteur is super transparent to the point where you can make out every single change. I'm upgrading my RCA cables to Audioquest Colorados as we speak.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #1,228 of 8,439
I ordered the 2K cable myself - you'll definitely notice a change if your amp is transparent enough. The Auteur is super transparent to the point where you can make out every single change. I'm upgrading my RCA cables to Audioquest Colorados as we speak.
It’s more that I currently don’t really believe they can make a significant difference. Maybe there is some small difference, but I’m not sure my ears would be even good enough to notice. I’m happy to enough getting a high quality cable with appealing aesthetics so I’m not too worried.

As far as interconnects go I might get some ZMF 2K interconnects to complete the setup. I asked about them yesterday as I like the idea of using the same type of cable with sleeving that matches my headphone cable.

The 2K interconnects are quite pricey. $300 for a 12” pair. +50 for every 6” after. I think either 12” or 18” would be more than enough for me.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #1,229 of 8,439
It’s more that I currently don’t really believe they can make a significant difference.
At risk of straying way off topic, I’ve tried both Monoprice $5 interconnects and Audioquests that cost 20x that and honestly couldn’t tell the difference. Maybe I didn’t have super transparent $2000 amps and headphones at the time, but my feeling is, if they can be made for $5 and sound excellent, what’s $300 buying me in overall fidelity. I know this topic polarizes many here so just thought I’d drop my 0.02 and look forward to more Auteur talk.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #1,230 of 8,439
At risk of straying way off topic, I’ve tried both Monoprice $5 interconnects and Audioquests that cost 20x that and honestly couldn’t tell the difference. Maybe I didn’t have super transparent $2000 amps and headphones at the time, but my feeling is, if they can be made for $5 and sound excellent, what’s $300 buying me in overall fidelity. I know this topic polarizes many here so just thought I’d drop my 0.02 and look forward to more Auteur talk.
Yea. I've typically stuck with Monoprice and Amazon Basics cables over the years, and they've done a good enough job for me. Still, I am curious. On top of that I like nice aesthetics and things matching. If nothing else I might be willing to fork over the cash just to appeal to my personal tastes. I think that's fine even if it is considered a waste by some people.

The Auteur is probably my end game for quite a while. I wouldn't have spent the cash on a 2K cable if I didn't believe that. There isn't anything else on the horizon I am interested in. For now I suppose I'll enjoy my Auteur and look forward to another ZMF open back sometime in the future if/when that happens. I was going to go back to the HD800S if the Auteur didn't work out for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back