ZMF Caldera Closed
May 7, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #421 of 819
Ha! I was thinking that when reviewing the product page for the Aegis. I have a nice EML rectifier as well as some nice sounding RCA tubes.

So in your opinion when tweaking the sound of the Aegis is there any area to focus more attention and budget on? I know for my Stratus it's all about the power tubes and rectifier. My Kenzie is the opposite, it's all about the input tube, it doesn't seem to care what power tubes are in.
Hmm - I need to dust off my MassDrop EC Mini amp, I've always loved that thing, it's perfect desk sized. Anyways got me thinking!

I think the driver tubes seem to change the sound quite a bit followed closely by the input and rectifier. In three stage tube amps like this all the tubes seem to make changes, but I think with the Aegis being a cathode follower that the driver tube *might* seem to do more, but that's very subjectively to my ears.

@L0rdGwyn what do you think?

Hey! Given the amp uses 6SL7 almost exclusively as the inputs, the biggest differences are going to be heard when changing output tubes, so that's probably where to focus budget as far as tube rolling goes. Rectifier vs. inputs is probably a toss up, but I would personally seek out a quality pair of 6SL7 first.

May 7, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #422 of 819
Hey! Given the amp uses 6SL7 almost exclusively as the inputs, the biggest differences are going to be heard when changing output tubes, so that's probably where to focus budget as far as tube rolling goes. Rectifier vs. inputs is probably a toss up, but I would personally seek out a quality pair of 6SL7 first.
thanks L0rdGwyn! Great video with Zach, BTW, it was nice putting a face with the name. Congrats on all the success, you've earned it.

May 7, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #423 of 819
Did my first pad rolling. I went from the Caldera Closed stock hybrid pad to the Caldera Closed all leather thick pad. What I am noticing is an overall increase in the thickness of the notes. From low frequency to the mids to high frequency. It is not better or worse but is for sure discernably different. This increase in thickness could most likely be called an increase in resolution. The drawback would probably be a decrease in clarity and speed.

I have always preferred the stock pads on all the ZMF HPs versus other options I have tried with each HP. But with the Caldera Closed my personal preference will is with the thick pads. Wonderful to have choices.

May 7, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #424 of 819
Did my first pad rolling. I went from the Caldera Closed stock hybrid pad to the Caldera Closed all leather thick pad. What I am noticing is an overall increase in the thickness of the notes. From low frequency to the mids to high frequency. It is not better or worse but is for sure discernably different. This increase in thickness could most likely be called an increase in resolution. The drawback would probably be a decrease in clarity and speed.

I have always preferred the stock pads on all the ZMF HPs versus other options I have tried with each HP. But with the Caldera Closed my personal preference will is with the thick pads. Wonderful to have choices.
I'm on the thick pad as well today and do like it. I'm torn between the protein and thick pads. The Thick pads have a more traditional ZMF tuning, warm and more mellow. The Protein are brighter and faster, more aggressive. On the Jotunheim 2 I found the protein pads overly aggressive, but on the Tuba they're really nice. But those thick pads are so sweet sounding. I'm listening to classic rock with them and it's been a great mix of planar speed and tube warmth sensibility.

May 7, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #425 of 819
the sound of the Aegis is there any area to focus more attention and budget on?

+1 on Zach’s input re Aegis tubes - output tubes make the most impact.

My favorite 2 options:
  1. Mullard EL37 — takes the Aegis big soundstage to the extreme. Super spacious and refined presentation
  2. Tung-Sol made NOS 6550 — extra texture and bass for a more weighty and gripping presentation

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #426 of 819
I'm on the thick pad as well today and do like it. I'm torn between the protein and thick pads. The Thick pads have a more traditional ZMF tuning, warm and more mellow. The Protein are brighter and faster, more aggressive. On the Jotunheim 2 I found the protein pads overly aggressive, but on the Tuba they're really nice. But those thick pads are so sweet sounding. I'm listening to classic rock with them and it's been a great mix of planar speed and tube warmth sensibility.
I agree 100% with your observation with pads. Here is my take on the protein pads which is super similar:

Protein pads: I thought my favorite was the thick Caldera Closed leather pads. Then I tried the Bokeh Protein pads. Well they sure brought the planar into the planar. The increase in clarity and quickness was very apparent. And an increase in sub bass. Very interesting. I will have to rethink my preference. I am getting more of a Caldera Closed vibe with the thin Protein pads and less of the Verite Closed vibe.

May 7, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #427 of 819
I'll make life harder for you guys. Introducing the Caldera Closed suede pads:

IMG_2339.jpg
IMG_2343.jpg

Pads 12.png

Oh and then there are the mesh permutations:

IMG_2349.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg

Mesh FR.png

I hope everyone now sees why a Caldera Closed review merits longer time than pretty much any other set of headphones :beyersmile:

May 7, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #428 of 819
I'll make life harder for you guys. Introducing the Caldera Closed suede pads:

IMG_2339.jpg IMG_2343.jpg
Pads 12.png

Oh and then there are the mesh permutations:

IMG_2349.jpg IMG_2363.jpg
Mesh FR.png

I hope everyone now sees why a Caldera Closed review merits longer time than pretty much any other set of headphones :beyersmile:
Nice, thanks for the graphs!
I have just received the pads and the lighter mesh today.

May 7, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #429 of 819
Would love to get some quick and dirty impressions of the CC pads (specially the hybrids/suedes) on the Caldera Open if some generous individual gets a chance

May 7, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #430 of 819
I'm a big metal listener, and I am really enjoying it with the CC. Guitars have a nice crunchy hardness to them that reminds me of the live version. And the mids in general are a perfect amount of forward enough without being too forward. Bass is tight and powerful, and solos have good bite and enough presence to make you clinch, just like the real thing! It's a more lively and energetic response than the AC, which is bassier, smoother, and less forward in the mids. I'm not sure I'd say the CC is "better" than the AC yet for metal, but definitely as good, just different. Been going down memory lane today with my old thrash favorites like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, Anthrax, etc. And to follow up on the Tuba/CC combo, it's been awesome! Not Stratus good, but more than enough to keep me satisfied. The CC is a fast aggressive listen so far for me at work, but I'm not fatigued yet. That's a good sign. And i've been distracted by the music all day, enjoying the CC's rendition of my beloved favorites. Mustaine shredding on Megadeth's early stuff is really exciting.

One thing that keeps coming into my head with the CC is it's Grado-like in it's speed and attack. Aggressive and energetic, with forward mids and treble. But unlike Grado, I'm not getting tired yet. Even the best Grados i've heard tire me out within an hour. My ears ring too much and I have to stop. Not so here, so far at least! :) But woo this headphone is fun. As i learn it more i'm seeing a pattern develop in regards to my preferences and the overall ZMF lineup. I adore the Atriums, Bokeh, and Atticus. The slower, bassier, warmer headphones. This is more like the Auteur in it's brighter nature, and makes for an excellent compliment to those other models. At lunch I ran home and grabbed my LCD2 Closed for fun. It only took a few tracks for me to toss it back in the case and end that experiment. It just has nothing against the CC. It was thinner, more strident, less resolving, and overall just hazier and less engaging. I really need to sell it, i'm just lazy right now. So anyone thinking they can save money and approximate the CC with the LCD2C....don't even bother. If the CC is out of your budget get a Bokeh, or keep saving.

One thing I do want to try is the other mesh, the black one. @zach915m which mesh has the most treble attenuation? The red or black?

May 7, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #431 of 819
I'm a big metal listener, and I am really enjoying it with the CC. Guitars have a nice crunchy hardness to them that reminds me of the live version. And the mids in general are a perfect amount of forward enough without being too forward. Bass is tight and powerful, and solos have good bite and enough presence to make you clinch, just like the real thing! It's a more lively and energetic response than the AC, which is bassier, smoother, and less forward in the mids. I'm not sure I'd say the CC is "better" than the AC yet for metal, but definitely as good, just different. Been going down memory lane today with my old thrash favorites like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, Anthrax, etc. And to follow up on the Tuba/CC combo, it's been awesome! Not Stratus good, but more than enough to keep me satisfied. The CC is a fast aggressive listen so far for me at work, but I'm not fatigued yet. That's a good sign. And i've been distracted by the music all day, enjoying the CC's rendition of my beloved favorites. Mustaine shredding on Megadeth's early stuff is really exciting.

One thing that keeps coming into my head with the CC is it's Grado-like in it's speed and attack. Aggressive and energetic, with forward mids and treble. But unlike Grado, I'm not getting tired yet. Even the best Grados i've heard tire me out within an hour. My ears ring too much and I have to stop. Not so here, so far at least! :) But woo this headphone is fun. As i learn it more i'm seeing a pattern develop in regards to my preferences and the overall ZMF lineup. I adore the Atriums, Bokeh, and Atticus. The slower, bassier, warmer headphones. This is more like the Auteur in it's brighter nature, and makes for an excellent compliment to those other models. At lunch I ran home and grabbed my LCD2 Closed for fun. It only took a few tracks for me to toss it back in the case and end that experiment. It just has nothing against the CC. It was thinner, more strident, less resolving, and overall just hazier and less engaging. I really need to sell it, i'm just lazy right now. So anyone thinking they can save money and approximate the CC with the LCD2C....don't even bother. If the CC is out of your budget get a Bokeh, or keep saving.

One thing I do want to try is the other mesh, the black one. @zach915m which mesh has the most treble attenuation? The red or black?

The black has less damping, so it lets more treble through.

May 7, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #433 of 819
The black has less damping, so it lets more treble through.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm hearing the CC as a bit more intense and spicy up top vs the CO, though break in likely is still a big factor on the CC. But thinking ahead i was going to try and get the most attenuated mesh I could, but looks like i've got it! :) The CC is really surprising me with it's non-fatiguing response. I perceive it as bright, but it's not triggering my tinitus yet at all. Other headphones I perceive as this bright cause my ears to ring really bad. No clue why, just an observation. I keep wanting to say it's a bit too bright, but it doesn't come. Hats off to you guys tuning this thing, it's an incredibly easy headphone to listen to. I'm on hour 6 of pretty steady listening today at work and no issues. I'm blessed to be alone in the office today, no distractions. Maybe not much work being done either....but shhhhhh, it's our little secret.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #434 of 819
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm hearing the CC as a bit more intense and spicy up top vs the CO, though break in likely is still a big factor on the CC. But thinking ahead i was going to try and get the most attenuated mesh I could, but looks like i've got it! :) The CC is really surprising me with it's non-fatiguing response. I perceive it as bright, but it's not triggering my tinitus yet at all. Other headphones I perceive as this bright cause my ears to ring really bad. No clue why, just an observation. I keep wanting to say it's a bit too bright, but it doesn't come. Hats off to you guys tuning this thing, it's an incredibly easy headphone to listen to. I'm on hour 6 of pretty steady listening today at work and no issues. I'm blessed to be alone in the office today, no distractions. Maybe not much work being done either....but shhhhhh, it's our little secret.
It really is quite something, how the sound can be so energetic and exciting, yet non fatiguing at the same time. When I first start to listen, I always think ok this is close to my threshold up top, and then I get used to it after a few tracks, and then it seems I can listen forever without fatigue. They really are something special.

May 7, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #435 of 819
Would love to get some quick and dirty impressions of the CC pads (specially the hybrids/suedes) on the Caldera Open if some generous individual gets a chance
I can do that after work tonight, I love rolling pads and am curious myself. I'm still unfamiliar with the CC and CO so take any impressions with a grain of salt. Of the CC pads I have, I have the protein, hybrid, and thick pads. No all suede pads though I can probably pull my suede Bokeh pads out, which I believe now are called Caldera anyways, correct? Either way it's worth a listen, and i'll notate which is which.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back