ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 19, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #7,336 of 7,500
From reading about different viewpoints of the sound qualities of the same pads, I wonder how much of the difference comes down to the audio chain. A few days ago, just changing one power cord and the power filtration in my chain resulted in a different presentation from the same (thick) pads. I'm not as enamored now but will give it time before going back to the stock pads.
From my experiences so far, the Caldera seems like one of those unique headphones that shapes itself to the music you use. With other headphones I have used (such as the MDR-Z1Rs and HD 800s), those sound signatures generally carry over to any and every genre I've used them with. The Z1Rs generally remained bassy and dark all throughout, and so did the HD 800s remain bright and lean. The Calderas, however, seem to adapt to different genres and give recordings the attitude/flavor they need. They can be warm, smooth, and forgiving, but also fast, impactful, and energetic depending on the music. It's really something special, and only the Aryas I previously owned could manage something like that.

May 19, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #7,337 of 7,500
From my experiences so far, the Caldera seems like one of those unique headphones that shapes itself to the music you use.
Never thought of it this way, but you're absolutely right.

The Caldera lets in the sound of music (music comes first), also other components, even passive things like cables. This is not a headphone that imposes a steady-state sound profile on music or anything else.

May 20, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #7,340 of 7,500
Screenshot 2024-05-20 111917.png

Love this on the CO.

May 20, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #7,341 of 7,500
Holly Cow!!! If I knew using my Synthesis A40 speaker amp was going to sound this good with the Calderas, I would have done this a long time ago. This is truly a gift of listening pleasure. Thank you to those who guided me with finding the speaker adapter and Forza cables.

Will note, I needed to switch back to the stock lambskin pads from suede for the Noir Hybrid HPC cable. The Verite Silver were more compatible with the suede pads IMHO. The Forza cable is not as bright despite both being hybrid cables.

Attachments

• 1000008037.jpg
    1000008037.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #7,343 of 7,500
Metal Night!! :darthsmile:

IMG_3891.jpgIMG_3892.jpgIMG_3893.jpg
after reading "Falconer" i instantly had to listen to "Night of Infamy" :L3000:
remembered me of those times in like '06 or '07 blasting some Power Metal in clan- and pvp-wars of the mmorpg i played back then.

May 20, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #7,344 of 7,500
May 20, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #7,345 of 7,500
From reading about different viewpoints of the sound qualities of the same pads, I wonder how much of the difference comes down to the audio chain. A few days ago, just changing one power cord and the power filtration in my chain resulted in a different presentation from the same (thick) pads. I'm not as enamored now but will give it time before going back to the stock pads.
Yeah, I think this has a big factor on my preference. I have the Naim HE and just saw a new review and says it has an overall smoother, warmer, and fun laid back sound compared to Chord, which is what I had prior. So that’s why with stock pads, I have no harshness and why the thick pads are too much for my tastes.

I heard the Caldera on the high end Schiit stack and completely different presentation. Very clear and open sounding but without sounding harsh. I liked the difference and short listen, had a nice liquid sound. When I went back to Naim HE, it was almost too thick but then all that beautiful bass texture filled in and adjust to the sound. So maybe on brighter setups, the thick just works.

It took me a while to adjust to the Naim sound from Chord but think it’s now my preference. I’m not analytical and don’t need to hear the last details. I feel like ZMF headphones tend to be more about emotion than analyzing as well. I’d explore tubes but have a large Maine Coon cat that enjoys water and also likes to sit on my amp. So it’s not in the cards.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #7,346 of 7,500
ok @Roasty you just inspired me to try something, and it's such an instant success I wanted to share. This will at minimin compete for the best amplification I've heard the Caldera with. Time will tell, but I'm super impressed. I'm only a few minutes into it, so this is a fast share...

I've always had a strong memory from trying my Moon 330A power amp with the Caldera when I first got them and tried them with everything I got. But it's so powerful (250/125watt into 4/8ohm) that there was just a hint of a noise floor, even with my super quite Bircasti pre amp, and that took this off my consideration (this is the chain I normally use with my Susvara).

But I recently got a couple of passive attenuator adapters from Frans at DIY-Audio (aka Solderdude), one XLR and one 1/4" adapters. I got those for a completely unrelated reason (my CFA-3 is very powerful and, although it has both low and high gain settings, it would be too much for ac ouple of super sensitive headphones; and this solution was recommended to me by Miroslav, aka Dukei, who built that amp; It worked perfectly).

So @Roasty seeing your posting of your power amp plugged into the Caldera triggerd in me that first Moon amp listening memory, and I thought.. hey let's try the XLR passive attentuator I now have on hand.

I did!.. Holy #$%.... It's awesome!!!

To make sure there was zero sonic tradeoff, I tested this again with both this 10db attenuator and without it (at -45db and -55db on my Bircasti pre, respectively). The music sounded perfectly unchanged. So I'm reassured I'm getting the full amp power clean through with no tradeoff (not a trivial assumption).

So what am I getting for my trouble?

An astoundingly clear and authoritative bass, and a a notably exapnded soundstage in all directions.

1676519383582.png
what is that headphone stand?? the one at the back with three headphones lol

May 20, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #7,347 of 7,500
May 20, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #7,348 of 7,500
Yeah, I think this has a big factor on my preference. I have the Naim HE and just saw a new review and says it has an overall smoother, warmer, and fun laid back sound compared to Chord, which is what I had prior. So that’s why with stock pads, I have no harshness and why the thick pads are too much for my tastes.

I heard the Caldera on the high end Schiit stack and completely different presentation. Very clear and open sounding but without sounding harsh. I liked the difference and short listen, had a nice liquid sound. When I went back to Naim HE, it was almost too thick but then all that beautiful bass texture filled in and adjust to the sound. So maybe on brighter setups, the thick just works.

It took me a while to adjust to the Naim sound from Chord but think it’s now my preference. I’m not analytical and don’t need to hear the last details. I feel like ZMF headphones tend to be more about emotion than analyzing as well. I’d explore tubes but have a large Maine Coon cat that enjoys water and also likes to sit on my amp. So it’s not in the cards.
I am an owner of the Chord MDave. I need to go suede when I listen directly from the Dave. Although, when I use the Dave primarily as a DAC to my tube amp than I can go either suede or stock. The true blessing of the Caldera is its versatility with pad swapping to cater to the equipment being used.

May 21, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #7,349 of 7,500

The Naim HE has a nice, quality balanced and smooth sound. To me it is a little too light and polite, but that is probably why you prefer the stock pads with it. :thumbsup:

May 21, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #7,350 of 7,500
The Naim HE has a nice, quality balanced and smooth sound. To me it is a little too light and polite, but that is probably why you prefer the stock pads with it. :thumbsup:
Surprised by that because I’d say it’s quite punchy and dynamic. At local meet it completely transformed one person’s headphone from a polite sound to something with amazing bass. At same meet I heard a DIY Aegis and the Naim was more dynamic while the Aegis was more ethereal. I actually preferred the Caldera out of the Naim. Believe owner had a ZMF Auteur and that sounded much better with the Aegis.

I’ve replaced the stock power cord and also use the Verite Silver headphone cable but doubt that makes that much difference. But yes, stock pads work best but it’s because it’s gets the most detail and richness from the mids, not because the Naim is too polite. I’d be ok with the thick if I just bumped up the mids a little bit with EQ. And on the graphs, you can see that little dip is real.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back